• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

I had an exciting weekend. If it were NOT for unexpected setbacks I could get a lot of work done. Last week I had Honda clutch problems. Not sure to complain or laugh. But I owned and maintained this equipment for 30 years. It runs perfect but now the inner bearings and attachments are showing signs of wear. As expected. Maybe I should take the tractors down to the bear frame and restique them. I found out the parts I needed were discontinued. I am used to that on CUCV's and other things I work on. And same a CUCV's I decided to hoard every part I could get my hand on. So welcome Facebook Market Place. I searched and found 3 Honda tractors just like mine in a 70 mile radius of my home. Sunday I spent the day and drove the full circle and bought all 3. 2 of the run and I drove them on the trailer and the other one has the same clutch problem mine does. Needless to say I bought all 3. I made some great dealing on the 3 of them. I was home by 3 and I had both my tractor and the bought tractor with clutch problems apart. I discovered that the tractor I bought had a brand new clutch on it but they never replaced the main shaft bearing on the clutch plate. It was seized to the crank shaft. They said the engine seized up. It did while the clutch plate was seized. It needs 1 bearing. I used a 2"rolok to cut the bearing from the crank shaft. It reminds me of the little bit of extra work it takes to do the job right the first time. The price may sting a bit at first but when you are not constantly working on the same vehicle or equipment the foresight and extra expenses on parts and labor are worth it. In my case the parts. Labor. Well I work and fiddle with everything. I will get back on task after work. I have an M1009 I am waiting to have the transmission and rear differential over hauled in. Take Care. have a Great Week. Rain is on the way and the grass is growing without my attention I may be on Market place looking for a baler.

LT67

I had an exciting weekend. If it were NOT for unexpected setbacks I could get a lot of work done. Last week I had Honda clutch problems. Not sure to complain or laugh. But I owned and maintained this equipment for 30 years. It runs perfect but now the inner bearings and attachments are showing signs of wear. As expected. Maybe I should take the tractors down to the bear frame and restique them. I found out the parts I needed were discontinued. I am used to that on CUCV's and other things I work on. And same a CUCV's I decided to hoard every part I could get my hand on. So welcome Facebook Market Place. I searched and found 3 Honda tractors just like mine in a 70 mile radius of my home. Sunday I spent the day and drove the full circle and bought all 3. 2 of the run and I drove them on the trailer and the other one has the same clutch problem mine does. Needless to say I bought all 3. I made some great dealing on the 3 of them. I was home by 3 and I had both my tractor and the bought tractor with clutch problems apart. I discovered that the tractor I bought had a brand new clutch on it but they never replaced the main shaft bearing on the clutch plate. It was seized to the crank shaft. They said the engine seized up. It did while the clutch plate was seized. It needs 1 bearing. I used a 2"rolok to cut the bearing from the crank shaft. It reminds me of the little bit of extra work it takes to do the job right the first time. The price may sting a bit at first but when you are not constantly working on the same vehicle or equipment the foresight and extra expenses on parts and labor are worth it. In my case the parts. Labor. Well I work and fiddle with everything. I will get back on task after work. I have an M1009 I am waiting to have the transmission and rear differential over hauled in. Take Care. have a Great Week. Rain is on the way and the grass is growing without my attention I may be on Market place looking for a baler.
It hit 90 degrees yesterday with 49% humidity.... swamp butt season is in full swing for at least 2 months. I think I might go ahead and put a new compressor on the 86 M1008 so I'll have AC....

cucvrus

DSCF7754.JPGThe time has come to purge the back 40 of all the scrap. The scrap metal prices are thru the roof at this time. Sometimes you have to just Let Go. DSCF7755.JPGThis M1009 has been sitting 20 years and has seen better days. I bought it with no title and used every part I could from it. I had a call for a frame and even though it is not a 100% deal I decided to get it ready to move and scrap the remains. First was the fuel tank removal. Why because it looked challenging and I was up for a challenge. DSCF7756.JPG DSCF7757.JPGGetting the skid plate off was not all that bad till the last bolt on the front corner of the drivers side. It was not coming off and rounded the bolt. Torches would have helped but that would end the challenge. DSCF7758.JPG I introduced the Sawzall. That ends all challenges. DSCF7761.JPGI sawed the 1/4 panel so I could access the under side. The flat tire on the Toyota Hi-Lux wheel was a obstacle I had to deal with. Done. DSCF7760.JPGAnd the roof. The roof was a terrible attempt by a man that wanted the rain gutters for his CUCV pick up. Don't ask. I did not involve myself in that job. He paid $100 to get them rain gutters. I let him have at it. I never seen the end results. I really don't want to either. DSCF7759.JPG The man drove here from New Jersey to get these parts amongst others he needed. DSCF7762.JPG Using nothing but hand tools I was able to get the fuel tank straps off and the fuel tank out from under the M1009. Of course it was full of fuel. Smells like JP8. And still looks good enough to use in my diesel log splitter. Win Win. Take Care and Be Safe.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF7763.JPGOK I have the fuel tank removed and it was quite easy much to my surprise. Only 1 skid plate bolt did not want to budge. I could have loosened it if I had jacked the truck up and made room for my long ratchet. But the equalizer Sawzall made quick work of the issue and resolved it in 30 seconds. Note the poorly crimped non weather proof butt connector. DSCF7764.JPGI could see that this tank was removed before. DSCF7765.JPGFirst thing to do is clean the fuel tank flange and remove all the years of mud and crud to make removal of the sending unit easy and damage free. Good useable original parts are better than the new non original replacement parts. These sending units are hard to find. DSCF7766.JPG And also note the over tightened clamp. I doubt that is factory. DSCF7767.JPGI have the flange area all clean and 95% clean of mud and crud. DSCF7768.JPGNow there it is a nice usable original sending unit. DSCF7769.JPG While I was under the M1009 I did remove all the body to frame mounting bolts. So gravity is the only thing holding the body on the frame. Next edition and next step in the project is Sawzall time to cut the body into bite size pieces for recycling. That is thinning the herd. And making cash at the same time. I am going to clean up all the scrap metal I can during this spike in scrap prices. Take care and have a Great Day. Seize the opportunity and take on challenges. Do it all with a positive mind and attitude or just don't do anything.

Last edited:

cucvrus

After further examination and filtering the old fuel from the tank. I have decided that using dark brown old diesel fuel from a junk vehicle is not cost effective. I drained 20+ gallons into old cans and filtered it twice. The cost of heating oil is about $1.50 a gallon. That equates to $30 US. I can't think of one situation where using dirty fuel would not cost me more than $30. I donated the used outdated fuel to the waste oil heater at a friends shop. He was OK with that and I was able to drain 30 gallons of used motor oil in his tank also. Still a Win, Win for both of us. I removed 4 used CUCV fuel tanks from the M1009 cargo area and sawed them into 4 sections. Safe to scrap. Next the M1009 body and an M1028 cab get the Sawzall treatment. The fiberglass roof I cut into trash bag size and it goes with the weekly trash. That easy. Take care. I have 4 - 6.2 engine short blocks to scrap as they have been exposed to weather. Shame but life goes on. Have Great Day. If you have scrap metals setting around and have no hope for them or plans. Sell them now. Sell them as is with no warranty or reliability attached. Easier that way. Less worries. Every time I sell something I feel liable. This way I am home free.

cucvrus

I know I noted I was looking for fun and adventure after my day job. And I got a call from a man saying I have a CUCV Blazer and want to sell it. He said it is in great shape for the year but does have some rust to repair. He sparked my interest. I asked for directions and fortunately it was only 1/2 hour from my house. Well when I arrived it was under tarp. Military tan tarp. WOW. I thought this could be good. Then the tarp was removed partially. That happiness when down hill fast. He kept untying straps and ropes. I said Stop I seen enough. He said I told you it had some rust. I thought RUST. This thing has basically returned to the earth again. 1624700964572.png
He said it ran when he parked it where it is sitting just 2 years ago. He said he was going to get started on the repairs and decided to put it up for sale. Someone told him I fix these things so he looked me up and got a number from a friend of mine. He pointed out that the alternators were missing and wanted to know if I had any to sell. I avoided that answer and slowly returned to my truck as we talked. He showed me the engine. WOW.
1624701273039.png I actually think I may be interested because it has an unhacked complete electrical system. Restoration is not an option at this point. But look at that it has a real floor board. I was amazed. he mentioned he has all 4 D ring tie downs and the seats are missing. He said they fell thru the floor. Imagine that. I have seen that before. Have a Great Day. He said the alternators were missing but when he opened up the back there they were in the milk box. Imagine that.
1624701378646.png

cucvrus

Last nights adventure reminded me of this song.
I contacted the owner and made an offer this AM. I guess it's an addiction. I saw nothing but parts. Scrap is high at this time and the rest will be just that SCRAP. If that truck were in Europe the bones would be picked clean with in hours of it's arrival. We don't know how fortunate we are to have these parts here in USA. Take Care and have a Great Day. I have a Celtic Fling to attend this weekend. 1624708808952.png No Jousting for me. getting a bit fragile for that sport. Take Care and Have a Great Weekend. Make things happen. Don't let them happen to you. Be Safe.

cucvrus

Eve Of Destruction
I am going out to do some destruction of CUCV's that in behind my barn. Sad but true. Somethings got to give. I will post pictures. Fair Warning it may be painful to see what is happening to the old iron. Think of it this way it makes other even more rare. It really cleans up my yard and scrap is high so it will fly. Pictures later. Stay cool. It is only 96* in Jonestown right now. I must first remove the broken windshield from the M1009. i am going to try a new technique. I want to avoid the glitter glass all over the place. The rubber was already destroyed so it should be easy. Wearing cut resistant gloves.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Eve Of Destruction
I am going out to do some destruction of CUCV's that in behind my barn. Sad but true. Somethings got to give. I will post pictures. Fair Warning it may be painful to see what is happening to the old iron. Think of it this way it makes other even more rare. It really cleans up my yard and scrap is high so it will fly. Pictures later. Stay cool. It is only 96* in Jonestown right now. I must first remove the broken windshield from the M1009. i am going to try a new technique. I want to avoid the glitter glass all over the place. The rubber was already destroyed so it should be easy. Wearing cut resistant gloves.
Sad, but like a lot of things - sometimes you can't give it away.

cucvrus

DSCF7776.JPGI was successful at getting the windshield out in one piece and getting the roof cut off the M1009. DSCF7780.JPGDSCF7779.JPGDSCF7781.JPGDSCF7782.JPGI have a need for the rear roof flange. A customer called for it. I was surprised that it looked as good as it did.DSCF7785.JPG The engine short block is still in the frame in it's factory setting.DSCF7777.JPG SCRAP. The dash pad and wiring harness are still attached as they left the factory. A Sawzall and a safe operator can do some real work in a short time. That lower B pillar is tough but the Diablo Sawzall makes it cut like butter. DSCF7778.JPGDSCF7783.JPGDSCF7784.JPG It will all be recycled and the parts that are inside will be sorted and stored. Anything I don't need will be scrapped. Thank you for looking.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter

M1009_SPAIN

Last nights adventure reminded me of this song.
I contacted the owner and made an offer this AM. I guess it's an addiction. I saw nothing but parts. Scrap is high at this time and the rest will be just that SCRAP. If that truck were in Europe the bones would be picked clean with in hours of it's arrival. We don't know how fortunate we are to have these parts here in USA. Take Care and have a Great Day. I have a Celtic Fling to attend this weekend. View attachment 837929 No Jousting for me. getting a bit fragile for that sport. Take Care and Have a Great Weekend. Make things happen. Don't let them happen to you. Be Safe.
That in Europe as soon as it leaves the container is in the bones.

It is a great donor, electric, motor ... US people are very lucky to have there so many of these monsters of the engine

cucvrus

May be an image of outdoors

I will just park this picture here. This is Rednecks moving across country. Not something you see everyday. That is Terminus M1009 and the pristine truck bed is on a truck that I restored a few years back. The owner is a member here. The 101 trailer frame is still sitting at the scrap pile. It worked well and without tires I had the perfect run flats. Happy July 4. Take Care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks