• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Todays post will be historical militarily. It will not mention CUCV's. I was over working on a barn a few miles from my home. The south east corner post had fallen out 20 years ago and it wasn't going anywhere.View attachment 841896 View attachment 841897 It was level and well supported. I took a 40 ton jack and positioned it to get a few 2x12 uprights in place. The historical part is the barn is in sight of FITG and it has many items from the military added to it over the years. Huge heavy grab handles that are OD Green, Ball ammunition stenciled wood piecesView attachment 841898 on the framing and used to attach hay feeders and the Marstan matting used to protect windows.View attachment 841899 View attachment 841900 I thought that was some cool stuff and is likely WWII surplus. I am taking some of that stuff back to my barn. Just for historical purposes. I did a decent job getting the corner jacked up and added a lot of wood. I am not a carpenter but can make my way around and get things done that they last. I did manage to get stung about 5 times in my left hand when I reached into a bees nest at the window where the wooden stencils are marked ball and have an ordnance symbol similar to the box below. Just a few pieces have legible stencils on them. So I hope you find the Marstan matting as interesting as I did. Take Care and Be safe.
View attachment 841910
That Marstan matting is definitely useful stuff! There are two pieces mounted to the front of the every Ferret. Guess the idea is that with the pick and shovel and some matting - getting stuck can be overcome. Especially since they travel in packs. :)

That wooden crate is sweet looking too!

cucvrus

I have a complete crate like the one pictured. My Father gave it to me. It is in near perfect condition. My Father had a .50 caliber rifle that he target shot all the time. It had a scope as long as the rifle and the barrel was about 1 1/2"-1 3/4" round. You removed the bolt and attached the shell to the bolt. I never fired it but he would hunt ground hogs with it and claims to have shot them close to a mile away. It was my father. I didn't doubt him. I had a few .50 caliber bullets but they disappeared over the years. I still have loaded 8 gauge shotgun shells my father gave me. Never saw an 8 gauge shotgun. Don't want to. A 12 gauge Winchester Defender is bad enough. Take Care.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a complete crate like the one pictured. My Father gave it to me. It is in near perfect condition. My Father had a .50 caliber rifle that he target shot all the time. It had a scope as long as the rifle and the barrel was about 1 1/2"-1 3/4" round. You removed the bolt and attached the shell to the bolt. I never fired it but he would hunt ground hogs with it and claims to have shot them close to a mile away. It was my father. I didn't doubt him. I had a few .50 caliber bullets but they disappeared over the years. I still have loaded 8 gauge shotgun shells my father gave me. Never saw an 8 gauge shotgun. Don't want to. A 12 gauge Winchester Defender is bad enough. Take Care.
Nice! I have an old twisted wire barrel 10 gauge and that thing gives you a pretty severe thump when I shoot it. Things like that crate and the story about the .50 helps tie us into family and days gone by...

I have a crate and its contents but it isn't quite as neat looking as yours...
Mine sits in my office at work under a chair. I pull it out just to admire it every now and again.
(picture below)

MK.74-1.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Who said you can't fix a worn out steering knuckle.
May be an image of outdoors
Fixed and never needs greased. I still haven't seen it all. Another reason to live long and watch.
About all you can say about the rusty bolt and to the steering repair is:
Well, I guess now we have a project to work on.
Might even need special skills in both cases :)

cucvrus

1629034237742.png
Think of a picture like this when you do a complete paint job on your CUCV and replace floor panels. No matter what, always replace the cab mounts or at least remove them and replace the bolts and rubbers on the ones that are bad. I guarantee there are many older vehicles on the road that have little or nothing holding the body on the frame. Pay special attention on any older vehicles. Many of the radiator support have little or nothing left of the bolts or frame mounts. Look closely. Remove them one at a time. Clean them well and lube the bolts when you reinstall them. be patient. Case in point. 2011 Silverado at work. I am driving on I83. 75 mph and getting dust in my eyes. I am wondering were the dust is coming from. It started raining half way thru the trip and the floor mat was soaking wet when I stopped. Puzzled I looked and the floor and cab mounts of the cab were gone. It has 145K on it and plowed snow with a salt spreader since new. But I never seen it so rusty so quick. The frame mounts were bigger then then cab mounts when we removed them. I made new frame mount washers and welded them to the stock frame mounts. They are 7 gauge steel so they will outlast the truck. Bought all new mounts and bolts and they all came out with a cordless impact. But better be safe and check all the mounts on your CUCV. Rear mounts on M1009 are notorious for rotting off the frame and the frame is gone many times on the top flange.

cucvrus

Looking back at some pictures from the past 10 years I came across a 1985 Chevrolet truck I had stored in my shed for about 15 years. I needed the room and decided to sell it. When I parked the truck and stripped out the cab it was in rough condition. After sitting 10 plus years I thought it was as good as new. This was a 2WD stick truck that I converted to 4WD.
1629044536077.png
1629044698873.png

M1009_SPAIN

View attachment 842463
Think of a picture like this when you do a complete paint job on your CUCV and replace floor panels. No matter what, always replace the cab mounts or at least remove them and replace the bolts and rubbers on the ones that are bad. I guarantee there are many older vehicles on the road that have little or nothing holding the body on the frame. Pay special attention on any older vehicles. Many of the radiator support have little or nothing left of the bolts or frame mounts. Look closely. Remove them one at a time. Clean them well and lube the bolts when you reinstall them. be patient. Case in point. 2011 Silverado at work. I am driving on I83. 75 mph and getting dust in my eyes. I am wondering were the dust is coming from. It started raining half way thru the trip and the floor mat was soaking wet when I stopped. Puzzled I looked and the floor and cab mounts of the cab were gone. It has 145K on it and plowed snow with a salt spreader since new. But I never seen it so rusty so quick. The frame mounts were bigger then then cab mounts when we removed them. I made new frame mount washers and welded them to the stock frame mounts. They are 7 gauge steel so they will outlast the truck. Bought all new mounts and bolts and they all came out with a cordless impact. But better be safe and check all the mounts on your CUCV. Rear mounts on M1009 are notorious for rotting off the frame and the frame is gone many times on the top flange.

what rear bracket do you mean rick, to check on my m1009, thanks

cucvrus

1629071231839.jpeg
1629071228507.pngThese rear mounts on the back frame of the M1009. Many are rusted off the frame and the rear threshold is completely rotten and weak. Check it out.

I edited this post because the top picture is NOT a CUCV but it is the similar set up with the bottom washer mount and upper steel rubber isolator mount. If you are patient and willing to spend the time you can fix these issues with the mounts by replacing the mounts and bolts. Don't just go in the hog wild with an impact and try and break the bolts loose. I would say NEVER use a breaker bar. The bolts will break. Most times. I say MOST TIMES. you can get bolts out with penetrating oils and heat. Just be sure to clear the upper areas of any floor coverings and careful of undercoating and chemical fires from the penetrating oils. Try and tighten first and slowly back and forth if you get it moving. Keep spraying and it will come out. Also the K5 Blazer M1009 frame I have pictured is decent but still worth the effort to remove and inspect the frame and mounts. Clean and paint as you go. The end results reflects the skill and effort of the person doing the work. Don't Half Fast it. Do it right the first time even if it stings the wallet a bit. Doing it the second time is a failure. Good Luck. I wanted to correct myself and was tire after a long weekend of LIFE again.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have been off sick again. I went a was retested at the managements request. Even the Dr's are tired of testing people over and over again. I mean 2 years ago people got sick they got better. I was at 2 rock concerts and I was exposed to many germs. I tested negative and am sitting it out in the penalty box again. I picked up a Honda 9 HP engine along the road at a scrap pile. It is locked up. I am going to see how locked up it is when I feel better. Maybe today. I hope so. Take Care. I think cutting hay in the heat and humidity has my immune system being attacked from the pollen and I was never this old before and will never be this young again. Just keep on going as long as I can. This is just a minor pothole in the road. I still have inner fenders and doors to hand sand.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have been off sick again. I went a was retested at the managements request. Even the Dr's are tired of testing people over and over again. I mean 2 years ago people got sick they got better. I was at 2 rock concerts and I was exposed to many germs. I tested negative and am sitting it out in the penalty box again. I picked up a Honda 9 HP engine along the road at a scrap pile. It is locked up. I am going to see how locked up it is when I feel better. Maybe today. I hope so. Take Care. I think cutting hay in the heat and humidity has my immune system being attacked from the pollen and I was never this old before and will never be this young again. Just keep on going as long as I can. This is just a minor pothole in the road. I still have inner fenders and doors to hand sand.
I think you are more than likely right. Everything gets immediately diagnosed as the WooFlu. Several folks here have always had pretty bad allergies. You know, when the trucks and cars have yellow / green dust covering them... They had a hard time breathing, but as expected it was nothing more than seasonal allergies. Definitely with you "never been this old before" ...

Hope you are better in a few days and back steady at it :)

Keep making and sharing. Sure is a wealth of knowledge that you are sharing with the rest of us!

Sezzo

Get well soon, Rick !!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Had another thought... You mentioned a concert. Two weeks ago I went on a train trip. Never gave it a thought - but looking back at it, through 2 states riding in something akin to a petri dish and I haven't had a sniffle. Thank goodness, and I imagine the same for you.

cucvrus

I have not lost my mind. When I say inner fenders I am referring to the inside of the drivers fenders. I never sand inner fender aprons. I scuff over them and coat the with Rusfree undercoating or opt to get them professionally powder coated. I had these original GM inner fenders powder coated 20 years ago. They still look great. It helps that they have never been install or exposed to weather. On my way out for a venture. See how it goes. Wish me luck.

cucvrus

After being in on the chair since Monday I decided to therapy myself back at the job. First thing was the Honda engine. It was FREE and that is always good. It was scrapped and supposed to be locked up. It was locked up all right. DSCF7996.JPG It was upside down and on its side a few times. When I picked it up I kept it sitting up straight since I picked it up a year or so ago. I was cleaning up and thought it is either good or junk. I attempted to pull it and nothing. Locked up tight. The fuel tank was dusty dry. It was setting inside in the dry since I had it. I removed the carburetor bowl and oil came out. I removed the spark plug and it was full of oil. I pulled the rope and it spit oil 6 feet away. DSCF7997.JPG DSCF7998.JPG I cranked it some more and more oil spit out the spark plug. I drained the oil. DSCF7999.JPGDSCF7999.JPG I bought a new spark plug and looked at the one that was in it. Wrong plugDSCF8002.JPGDSCF8003.JPG and the screw on top was stuck in the cap. I pulled that out and the screw was bigger in the cap nut then the spark plug. DSCF8004.JPG I am sure that helped it run well. I put new oil in the crank case, fresh gas in the tank installed the new spark plug and it fired up on the first pull. It shot me with rust and smoked so bad I had to walk away but it ran and sounded great. the smoke cleared and I shut it off. I put a bit more gas in it and started it again. I think someone was fooled by something. It is a 9 HP Honda engine. Not sure what I will do with it but want to build a soil sifter next after my rock crusher. this could power it. NOT CUCV but mechanical and always helps to be mechanically handy. Take Care. I was motivated and went onto doing work on the Little Red M1009 project.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After being in on the chair since Monday I decided to therapy myself back at the job. First thing was the Honda engine. It was FREE and that is always good. It was scrapped and supposed to be locked up. It was locked up all right. View attachment 842745 It was upside down and on its side a few times. When I picked it up I kept it sitting up straight since I picked it up a year or so ago. I was cleaning up and thought it is either good or junk. I attempted to pull it and nothing. Locked up tight. The fuel tank was dusty dry. It was setting inside in the dry since I had it. I removed the carburetor bowl and oil came out. I removed the spark plug and it was full of oil. I pulled the rope and it spit oil 6 feet away. View attachment 842746 View attachment 842747 I cranked it some more and more oil spit out the spark plug. I drained the oil. View attachment 842748View attachment 842748 I bought a new spark plug and looked at the one that was in it. Wrong plugView attachment 842750View attachment 842751 and the screw on top was stuck in the cap. I pulled that out and the screw was bigger in the cap nut then the spark plug. View attachment 842752 I am sure that helped it run well. I put new oil in the crank case, fresh gas in the tank installed the new spark plug and it fired up on the first pull. It shot me with rust and smoked so bad I had to walk away but it ran and sounded great. the smoke cleared and I shut it off. I put a bit more gas in it and started it again. I think someone was fooled by something. It is a 9 HP Honda engine. Not sure what I will do with it but want to build a soil sifter next after my rock crusher. this could power it. NOT CUCV but mechanical and always helps to be mechanically handy. Take Care. I was motivated and went onto doing work on the Little Red M1009 project.
Free is definitely good!

Mine is very similar. Came on a GoCart that I got for my boys about 20 or more years ago. It sat for a long time and about a month ago I shot it with Marvel Mystery Oil and let it sit for a week. Went back out again and shot it with more MMO, put the plug back and let it sit again. Finally went out and removed the plug and pulled the rope and it puffed nicely and pulled on my thumb too. Pretty exciting! Gave it a splash of gas and gave it a yank and it fired right up.

The more exciting part was when the thing took off! Happily not far. Went about a foot and got to the end of the chain and it started digging holes in the ground with the back tires. Turned it off after saying a few words. I guess the clutch it is stuck in the GO position - somewhat like some of these MV's will do. That will be my next project I guess.

Kinda cool though - You with the CUCV and me with the 5-Tons - and we both happen to have the same small motor projects.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks