• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

The weekend started out well. I made lots of progress on a few of the projects I have going on. I was able to get both of my trailers loaded with firewood unloaded. I split it all as I unloaded it. I have a large barn at my friend's house that we are repairing, and painting and I was able to get a large section of that coated with paint the first coat. Today things went south quickly. I had the mower out to cut hay and as soon as I engaged the PTO the rain started. I put that on hold. I don't like working in the rain anymore. So, I will go down to my barn and clean up from my rewiring of lights in the work bay. I also have a few parts to locate for some people here. I will post pictures of my finds. Take Care and have a Great Day. Sunny days will return. Till then make the best of it. 417h1G2gbJL__AC_Wall E.jpg

cucvrus

My lucky run has run out. I have to have my barn professionally rewired to code and inspected. I had an insurance company inspection and the barn failed. I cannot risk the loss. I have been working on getting the wiring up to code but am 20 years behind from my first warning. I can't blame them. I have had issues with wiring in the barn over the years. All the knob and tube must be removed, they are giving me 6 months free ride and covering the structure. They will return next June 2023. Like I said it is time for me to see that it is an issue. I triggered the inspection when I called 1 call for digging. It took them a year to come back and inspect the 100-amp service. They noted that the wiring to the box was perfect, and up to code but I still had other outdated non code wiring. I spent the weekend cutting all the non-code wiring out and had an electrician sign off on it. He will be doing more work over the winter months. That did mean I was out of a place to work for now. The weather was 34* this AM so I have run out of time. The main bay where I work needs to be wired first and I needed to move on with my project. I am fortunate to have another dry place to store it. DSCF8887.JPG DSCF8888.JPG Things have not been going well lately with me so I will fall back and recover. Till then I will be be in hibernation. I have some heath issues to address. Nothing major but I will say I am not 35 years old anymore. Heck I am not 50 anymore. Take Care. I will still be here and have light duty stuff to keep me active.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My lucky run has run out. I have to have my barn professionally rewired to code and inspected. I had an insurance company inspection and the barn failed. I cannot risk the loss. I have been working on getting the wiring up to code but am 20 years behind from my first warning. I can't blame them. I have had issues with wiring in the barn over the years. All the knob and tube must be removed, they are giving me 6 months free ride and covering the structure. They will return next June 2023. Like I said it is time for me to see that it is an issue. I triggered the inspection when I called 1 call for digging. It took them a year to come back and inspect the 100-amp service. They noted that the wiring to the box was perfect, and up to code but I still had other outdated non code wiring. I spent the weekend cutting all the non-code wiring out and had an electrician sign off on it. He will be doing more work over the winter months. That did mean I was out of a place to work for now. The weather was 34* this AM so I have run out of time. The main bay where I work needs to be wired first and I needed to move on with my project. I am fortunate to have another dry place to store it. View attachment 881491 View attachment 881492 Things have not been going well lately with me so I will fall back and recover. Till then I will be be in hibernation. I have some heath issues to address. Nothing major but I will say I am not 35 years old anymore. Heck I am not 50 anymore. Take Care. I will still be here and have light duty stuff to keep me active.
@cucvrus , Hope you can get the "saw bones" to sign off on getting you fixed up. You are about the same age as your trucks, so maybe the rebuild won't be awful. I've had things go bad as I have gotten older too - and it is somewhat amazing the things they can do for us.

The wiring isn't awful. at least you have the service into the building up to code. The rest of it takes time, but it isn't awful. Sure is nice that the insurance company wasn't awful and padlocked the place... Maybe a heater of some sort and in the cold weather, hopefully your electrician can work indoors on the garage.

Best to you on both projects!

Liked your battery cable puller in an earlier post too. Definitely made me smile!
I have one just like it in the top right drawer of my KR550 (sitting on top of my KR555).

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@cucvrus , Hope you can get the "saw bones" to sign off on getting you fixed up. You are about the same age as your trucks, so maybe the rebuild won't be awful. I've had things go bad as I have gotten older too - and it is somewhat amazing the things they can do for us.

The wiring isn't awful. at least you have the service into the building up to code. The rest of it takes time, but it isn't awful. Sure is nice that the insurance company wasn't awful and padlocked the place... Maybe a heater of some sort and in the cold weather, hopefully your electrician can work indoors on the garage.

Best to you on both projects!

Liked your battery cable puller in an earlier post too. Definitely made me smile!
I have one just like it in the top right drawer of my KR550 (sitting on top of my KR555).
In California only a licensed electrician can perform electrical work. As a general contractor I can perform any trades if 2 or more trades are involved on a project. Only electrical is a no go. If you are an owner builder, you can perform electrical. Extending my best towards you and your family, take care.

cucvrus

Well yesterday was not a lost day. I made leaps and bounds in my barn. Well maybe not that big a deal but success. I have another Honda tractor to repair. DSCF8892.JPG It is my son's. It needs a PTO clutch and a radiator, and the radiator is discontinued. I found a few places that would make me one and the price range was $400. to $1400. . I opted the Ebay look and see. I found complete Honda same model tractors for sale on Facebook market. One of the tractors was in Maryland and I contacted the owner. I questioned whether it could be started and driven onto a trailer. His reply was " Yo man read the ad". That canceled that transaction. The ad said complete tractor needs head gasket and I don't have the money to repair. $300. And acceptable answer would be no it don't run, and I could have dealt with that. I would have gone prepared. It was simple question. Anyway, that is Facebook. And it was $300. lots of parts. I remembered I had a radiator and looked for it and found it, but it was for another Honda tractor. My search was not without a waste of time. I found many CUCV parts. Not bought for CUCV's at the time but still new CUCV related Genuine GM parts. A new set of fuel tank saddles. DSCF8894.JPG I discovered I can overhaul these saddles simply by sandblasting, powder coating and making new straps. DSCF8894.JPG I did buy these gate covers for the new gates I have and never used the gates or the covers. DSCF8895.JPG Further searching I found 2 new door panels that I bought for my M1009 Mule and never used. DSCF8906.JPG DSCF8905.JPGBut the searching and finding will come to an end shortly. I have been getting my parts somewhat organized. I was also moving stuff so the electrician can work. I found a Honda radiator on Ebay and hard to imagine it was in PA. It could have been anywhere in the world, and it was 1 hour away. My son rode to get it and bought it for $125. Complete with shroud, and sensors. The petcock and seal on a Honda tractor cost $20. Deal. Looking into the half of my barn I have semi organized. DSCF8907.JPG I have a fair share of sheet metal and many other parts. Looking down from the unorganized side of the barn where many hidden treasures still rest. DSCF8908.JPG
Ny current major project. I am thinking it gets older and still has the protection of shelter. So, it will remain till Spring arrives. Haste makes waste. A Messy Desk Is a Sign of Genius, According to Science | Inc.com I think this also applies to my barn. There is no trash and I keep everything sweep, dry and clean.
Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

DSCF8909.JPG
During my search for Honda parts and a radiator I wanted to show you just for comparison. The huge radiator is a CUCV radiator I have as a spare. And the little one is a Honda 4514 tractor radiator. The radiator I purchased from Ebay fit and looks great. It was a buy it now for $199. or best offer. I offered $125. and they accepted. DSCF8910.JPG These old Honda tractors are very well built. DSCF8912.JPG 2-cylinder water cooled with a full pressure oil system and spin on oil filter. I spent some time painting a barn over at a friend's farmDSCF8911.JPG
It is late and I need to get some rest. Have a Great Week.

cucvrus

I learned something today I never knew or heard before. Chevrolet LUV trucks. Acronym Light Utility Vehicle.
312723285_10226675356448964_1582454060375475846_nLUV.jpg
I worked at a Chevrolet dealer in 1979 and we never received a 4WD LUV that was made in Japan. An aftermarket company here in USA made the 4WD conversion. In 1981 when the newer Luv body style came out the LUV was available in stock factory 4WD. I had a Red 4WD diesel it was a great truck, and I would get 38MPG with it. Not a real power plant but it could off road like a side by side and always started no matter how cold it would get here in Pennsylvania. Same as a Kubota. Always starts. These engines are the simplest design and very reliable. The greatest down fall of the LUV and my Isuzu was rust. Back in them days everything was rusty around here. Take Care. Just sharing for the sake of knowledge.
304847381_10226692853966482_5471050550657683919_nMad Kubota.jpg

cucvrus

My Son picked up a 2011 CVPI and is in the process of removing the entire body from the frame. DSCF8913.JPG DSCF8914.JPG 1666828358401.png I was there to offer technical support. And the use of my garage in the barn. I have 4 wall outlets in my barn at this time. More coming. The LED lights are all wired in conduit to code. I have cut and removed all the knob and tube wiring. The plan for the CVPI frame and driveline is to go into my sons 1953 Buick Special. After 6 hours and 3 men working this is how it sits now. I was amazed the car was disassembled and cut in half and the engine starts and runs with no check engine light. We are retaining all the original Ford wiring to use in the Buick. Next the Buick will be driven into the shop and have the body removed and lifted from the frame. It is not a restoration it is a rat rod in progress. The Buick has a straight 8 Fireball 8 engine, and it still runs. Old cars just lack the modern braking and suspension not to mention the power and reliability of a modern engine and driveline. The Buick was left for dead and will make a nice project for my sons to work on. I am still amazed that with the fuel tank and all the emission parts attached and wired the car thinks all is well. The security alarm still blinks and horn sounds if you mess with the front doors of the car. Anyone needs any nice CVPI body parts? This is a Georgia car and is rust free. The frame looks like new. The Sawzall made short work of the body split. Temporary fuel tank mount on the 2 X 4. I just sat back and watched. I did get the windshield pulled out by a glass company.
1666829234753.png

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My Son picked up a 2011 CVPI and is in the process of removing the entire body from the frame. View attachment 883019 View attachment 883020 View attachment 883021 I was there to offer technical support. And the use of my garage in the barn. I have 4 wall outlets in my barn at this time. More coming. The LED lights are all wired in conduit to code. I have cut and removed all the knob and tube wiring. The plan for the CVPI frame and driveline is to go into my sons 1953 Buick Special. After 6 hours and 3 men working this is how it sits now. I was amazed the car was disassembled and cut in half and the engine starts and runs with no check engine light. We are retaining all the original Ford wiring to use in the Buick. Next the Buick will be driven into the shop and have the body removed and lifted from the frame. It is not a restoration it is a rat rod in progress. The Buick has a straight 8 Fireball 8 engine, and it still runs. Old cars just lack the modern braking and suspension not to mention the power and reliability of a modern engine and driveline. The Buick was left for dead and will make a nice project for my sons to work on. I am still amazed that with the fuel tank and all the emission parts attached and wired the car thinks all is well. The security alarm still blinks and horn sounds if you mess with the front doors of the car. Anyone needs any nice CVPI body parts? This is a Georgia car and is rust free. The frame looks like new. The Sawzall made short work of the body split. Temporary fuel tank mount on the 2 X 4. I just sat back and watched. I did get the windshield pulled out by a glass company.
View attachment 883022
The project car sounds like you guys made a lot of progress!
Especially the crank and run part.

Sounds like your electrician is making great headway too. Four outlets and LED lighting is a good start and you might get enough done to have a real workable space for the winter. That would be a pretty nice thing.

Keep us up to date on the project car?
Yeah, it isn't green but we like to see how you are making...

Tim

cucvrus

I worked on a snowplow and converting my Kubota to LED lighting and my son worked on his project. After all this cutting and removal of body parts the car still runs and drives. DSCF8933.JPG Amazing it has no Check Engine lights and it is a bit confused about the doors being open. DSCF8934.JPG
It is a shame for this 2011 Crown Victoria. But I bought it for the right price and have a trailer load of scrap steel DSCF8935.JPG This is going to be a PITA to get the wiring into the 1953 Buick, but I think it can happen. I know it can do one heck of a burn out now. Take Care and Be Safe.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked on a snowplow and converting my Kubota to LED lighting and my son worked on his project. After all this cutting and removal of body parts the car still runs and drives. View attachment 883805 Amazing it has no Check Engine lights and it is a bit confused about the doors being open. View attachment 883806
It is a shame for this 2011 Crown Victoria. But I bought it for the right price and have a trailer load of scrap steel View attachment 883807 This is going to be a PITA to get the wiring into the 1953 Buick, but I think it can happen. I know it can do one heck of a burn out now. Take Care and Be Safe.
[/Q

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked on a snowplow and converting my Kubota to LED lighting and my son worked on his project. After all this cutting and removal of body parts the car still runs and drives. View attachment 883805 Amazing it has no Check Engine lights and it is a bit confused about the doors being open. View attachment 883806
It is a shame for this 2011 Crown Victoria. But I bought it for the right price and have a trailer load of scrap steel View attachment 883807 This is going to be a PITA to get the wiring into the 1953 Buick, but I think it can happen. I know it can do one heck of a burn out now. Take Care and Be Safe.
It looks really clean and in good shape.

cucvrus

Shame is the 2011 Crown Victoria was in excellent condition. It was a Geogia car and was involved in an accident and the owner needed to get back home. So, he collected the money and scrapped the car. And really scrap is very low right now, so it was not worth much. It ran and drove fine. I would have drove it back home and dealt from there at home base. The accident was not his fault. Too late now. It is a convertible, and I already scrapped the parts. This has been my view over the weekends. DSCF8932.JPG I am up on scaffold painting and fixing a barn. When I wanted to work it was cold now, I closed my shop and put things away and we have summer weather again. I will take it either way. These jobs needs completed also. This morning I fired up the M1028 and hauled scrap. I wanted to install the LED bulbs, so I went about it before I hitched the trailer up. Standard CUCV tail lamp and my trick or trait bag full of LED bulbs. DSCF8936.JPG DSCF8937.JPG Nice white LED back up lamp. DSCF8938.JPGThe park lamp is a little brighter with the LED bulb. DSCF8938.JPGDSCF8939.JPGDSCF8940.JPG The entire lamp is much brighter, and I also changed the 194 bulbs in the side markers to LED. They are polarized and only light one way when plugged into the socket. DSCF8941.JPG I went on and changed the right lamps also. This right light was fixed by a great Army body man. DSCF8942.JPG DSCF8943.JPGDSCF8944.JPG The body filler was applied with a form and allowed to dry over the weekend and then finished with a grinder. Nice. Take Care.

cucvrus

I was digging thru a scrap metal bin and found a SS hinged license plate bracket. How cool is that. You could hang it under the bumper and fold it up when you are in a parade or wanting to off road. DSCF8945.JPG
Very Predator like it is invisible.
DSCF8946.JPG Folds up. Also, I have installed the last small LED bulb on my M1102 trailer. The small bulbs are the hardest for me to come by as I salvage thru scrap. DSCF8947.JPG DSCF8948.JPG DSCF8949.JPG Take Care. Being that I only changed the rear bulbs on the CUCV to LED it had no effect on the flasher. When I changed the front bulbs and rear bulbs it required the Grote 44891 2 prong LED flasher.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks