• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

I eliminated the CUCV 360* swivel pintle hitch from the receiver and replaced it with a fixed pintle. Easy as that. It works well and is the correct height. I used some of my fancy hardware with the nuts that have their own wrench built into them. They will work out great. I use the same nuts when I assemble rear bumpers and bumper brackets on CUCV's. Have a Great Day. I have a lot to do, and I get it done one step at a time. DSCF8626.JPG DSCF8627.JPG DSCF8628.JPG I even remained secret. No picture of my license plate.

cucvrus

A few weeks ago a member here was looking for an M101 leaf spring. I removed it and still have it. My point is it was an opportunity to clean up a trailer frame and axle and make some money and room in the process. I stripped the frame and sold it to a young man that was building a flat bed for his Ram 3500 pickup truck. He has been keeping me updated on his progress and I think be is doing an excellent job repurposing this old trailer frame. I like the way he kept the D rings in the design M101.jpg and he built a nice sturdy bulkhead. 292136219_331939635811202_6447141825066784619_nM101-4.jpg I think it looks like he has a plan. 291516731_1675278772833052_8452012528849564409_nM101-3.jpg It sure looks better than it did sitting in my tree line. 291042240_563571968706938_3478376990908595808_nM101-2.jpg Take care and have a Great Day.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Parts requests.
Driveshaft yoke Spicer M1009 with new U joint. DSCF8637.JPG The 2 on left are new yokes. DSCF8638.JPG I have hoarded many drive shafts and axles over the years. Parts are parts. DSCF8639.JPG
Rear B/O lamp used, and I spent an hour removing it with hand tools to preserve it. I messed up a few trying to remove them from the bracket. It worked as did all I tested before attempting to remove them. Still has the OEM plug. DSCF8640.JPG B/O tail lamps and B/O brake lamps. DSCF8641.JPG

I also checked on an M1009 spare wheel for a member. I had it blasted and primed and when I went to paint it, I noticed the wear from loose lug nuts. It will serve as a spare wheel. DSCF8642.JPG DSCF8643.JPGThe M1009 wheels are hard to find. These looks like it was run with 3 lug nuts in place, and they were loose. The other 3 are fine.
That is all I have on the list. Storms and farm work have me busy. I will post progress as it happens.

cucvrus

Terminus M1009 | Page 19 | SteelSoldiers
It's been 5 years since my 8 hour M1009 paint job. I wonder how it is holding up. Last time I seen it it was far away in a field pulling a wood trailer. I heard someone bought Terminus M1009 and is going to restore it. Anyone here? Good Luck with that. It will test your skills for sure. I had many hours of fun with that CUCV.

cucvrus

It has been a very busy time here at my end of the Earth. 96* lots or rain and the grass keeps growing. Mowing and baling has got me sweat blind. It was a 3-shirt day yesterday. I received a few parts requests via PM. Here we go. Lower flywheel cover with new bolts and the flange nuts are freebies. all hardware is M10 X 1.5. DSCF8644.JPG DSCF8646.JPG DSCF8645.JPG I took a picture of the part number. It is correct. I mailed one of these out in the past and received one back and it was not the same one I sent. Tricky. Everyone wants things for free. Wheel all wrapped up and ready to ship. I stopped boxing wheels. It makes them more expensive to ship IMHO. I bought 5 wheels for a 1950 Chevrolet 3600 and they came unboxed and arrived here fine from California. DSCF8647.JPG I received an order for crates I had to full fill. I went into crate making mode and knocked out 50 in a week. DSCF8648.JPG DSCF8649.JPG Take care and stay cool. I have grass to mow tonight, and I hope to stay on track with my projects.

GunnyM1009

It has been a very busy time here at my end of the Earth. 96* lots or rain and the grass keeps growing. Mowing and baling has got me sweat blind. It was a 3-shirt day yesterday. I received a few parts requests via PM. Here we go. Lower flywheel cover with new bolts and the flange nuts are freebies. all hardware is M10 X 1.5. View attachment 873546 View attachment 873548 View attachment 873547 I took a picture of the part number. It is correct. I mailed one of these out in the past and received one back and it was not the same one I sent. Tricky. Everyone wants things for free. Wheel all wrapped up and ready to ship. I stopped boxing wheels. It makes them more expensive to ship IMHO. I bought 5 wheels for a 1950 Chevrolet 3600 and they came unboxed and arrived here fine from California. View attachment 873549 I received an order for crates I had to full fill. I went into crate making mode and knocked out 50 in a week. View attachment 873550 View attachment 873551 Take care and stay cool. I have grass to mow tonight, and I hope to stay on track with my projects.
Now I need to go watch Blazing Saddles I haven't seen that movie in years.

cucvrus

Yesterday I thought I went thru the desert on a horse with no name. I have a lot of work to do on many projects and the sun was a killer yesterday. I started on a repair project outside and it was in full sun. I thought it was a 1/2 hour - hour job. I worked several hours on it showered and changed clothing twice. I was working on getting a timber riser out from a set of brick steps at the front of my house. Everyone in the family was away and nobody in the neighborhood was in site. All I heard was traffic and A/C running. After trying my best with light power tools and chisels I broke out the Stihl chainsaw. Sometimes a tack hammer isn't the right tool for the job. The saw worked great, and I was sweat blind by the end of the job. I am going to wait for cooler weather to set the new timber in place. I had good intentions on getting some CUCV work done but we all had days like this. Today we are in for another hot day. 96* for the high. Heat advisory in effect. Be Safe out there and be kind to animals and others. My message is I know it is hot but if you time yourself and do a little at a time anything can get done in moderation. A thousand-mile journey begins with the first step. Hardscaping is just that hard. Today I have a tractor to repair. I think that will be easy. Sure, it's all easy. Easy like a Sunday morning. DSCF8650.JPG DSCF8651.JPG I built these steps 20 years ago and thought I was done with that forever. Nothing is infallible to time and weather.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yesterday I thought I went thru the desert on a horse with no name. I have a lot of work to do on many projects and the sun was a killer yesterday. I started on a repair project outside and it was in full sun. I thought it was a 1/2 hour - hour job. I worked several hours on it showered and changed clothing twice. I was working on getting a timber riser out from a set of brick steps at the front of my house. Everyone in the family was away and nobody in the neighborhood was in site. All I heard was traffic and A/C running. After trying my best with light power tools and chisels I broke out the Stihl chainsaw. Sometimes a tack hammer isn't the right tool for the job. The saw worked great, and I was sweat blind by the end of the job. I am going to wait for cooler weather to set the new timber in place. I had good intentions on getting some CUCV work done but we all had days like this. Today we are in for another hot day. 96* for the high. Heat advisory in effect. Be Safe out there and be kind to animals and others. My message is I know it is hot but if you time yourself and do a little at a time anything can get done in moderation. A thousand-mile journey begins with the first step. Hardscaping is just that hard. Today I have a tractor to repair. I think that will be easy. Sure, it's all easy. Easy like a Sunday morning. View attachment 873937 View attachment 873938 I built these steps 20 years ago and thought I was done with that forever. Nothing is infallible to time and weather.
Amazing how the weather takes all things with time... That is a nice looking set of steps. Funny. A lot of things that I do now are fixing things from 20 or 30 years ago. The only good part of that is that the next time it gets fixed, chances are it won't be me doing it.

cucvrus

Things are really hot and dry here. I saw a groundhog sneaking around and drinking water out of the chicken feeder and then it was eating the scratch grain. It was 94* in the barn semi-shaded. DSCF8652.JPG DSCF8653.JPG I worked on my Honda tractor. This is a well-built machine that has served me well for the past 30 years. Water cooled 2-cylinder OHC and sounds like a car when running. DSCF8654.JPGThe deck was stuffed and packed with grass and the blades need sharpened. I keep an extra set-in stock at all times. DSCF8655.JPG Not bad for an old tractor. DSCF8656.JPG I was going to punish myself and run to Lowes for some wood in the M1028 but changed my mind quickly when I remembered no A/C. I drove the Trail Boss. Take Care and Be Safe.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday I thought I went thru the desert on a horse with no name. I have a lot of work to do on many projects and the sun was a killer yesterday. I started on a repair project outside and it was in full sun. I thought it was a 1/2 hour - hour job. I worked several hours on it showered and changed clothing twice. I was working on getting a timber riser out from a set of brick steps at the front of my house. Everyone in the family was away and nobody in the neighborhood was in site. All I heard was traffic and A/C running. After trying my best with light power tools and chisels I broke out the Stihl chainsaw. Sometimes a tack hammer isn't the right tool for the job. The saw worked great, and I was sweat blind by the end of the job. I am going to wait for cooler weather to set the new timber in place. I had good intentions on getting some CUCV work done but we all had days like this. Today we are in for another hot day. 96* for the high. Heat advisory in effect. Be Safe out there and be kind to animals and others. My message is I know it is hot but if you time yourself and do a little at a time anything can get done in moderation. A thousand-mile journey begins with the first step. Hardscaping is just that hard. Today I have a tractor to repair. I think that will be easy. Sure, it's all easy. Easy like a Sunday morning. View attachment 873937 View attachment 873938 I built these steps 20 years ago and thought I was done with that forever. Nothing is infallible to time and weather.
The brick work looks nice. Anything and everything that is wood will rot in the ground eventually.

cucvrus

I guess now I seen that. I bought brand new certified Conrail ties and used them. I seen railroad ties that are over 100 years old. After thought is they are setting on a stone grade and never have a chance to soak up water with the sun shining on them everyday. I can only hope the remaining 3 hold up. I remember cutting them and getting burnt and rashed from the creosote in the wood. I could still smell that while I was cutting away at it. I believe this tie was Oak and that holds up poorly under ground. Take Care, Be Safe and Stay Cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks