• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

This is vehicle related and involves my job. At work someone entered the property overnight and removed exhaust components with a Sawzall. These were geniuses. They had access to over 500 gasoline truck chassis and made way with the first 18 trucks closest to the rear railroad gate. I went to get a truck and boom no exhaust. Thinking they stole catalytic converters I was humored and surprised to see they made off with the resonators from the GM cutaway chassis. The catalytic converters are up in the area of the lower exhaust manifolds. $40,000. damage. I would pay to see the look on their faces when they try and cash in them parts. Big surprise.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is vehicle related and involves my job. At work someone entered the property overnight and removed exhaust components with a Sawzall. These were geniuses. They had access to over 500 gasoline truck chassis and made way with the first 18 trucks closest to the rear railroad gate. I went tom get a truck and boom no exhaust. Thinking they stole catalytic converters I was humored and surprised to see they made off with the resonators from the GM cutaway chassis. The catalytic converters are up in the area of the lower exhaust manifolds. $40,000. damage. I would pay to see the look on their faces when they try and cash in them parts. Big surprise.
Not that is is really funny, but a thief getting nothing for their efforts is always good. Guessing if they get caught, at that dollar value it might even be a felony.

GunnyM1009

Surplus 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe K1500 4x4 SUV in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, United States (GovPlanet Item #7161409)
I am guessing this will sell for less than the M1009. If it does it is the better buy. It runs and drives. That is always a +. Let's watch see if it brings $2500. It would look good in CARC woodland camo.
I don't know there's that stupid trend right now with people lifting the front only on those 4x4 tahoes. I think it's called a dog with the trots or something.

M1009_SPAIN

GunnyM1009

Out for more Fun in the Sun. I have big plans today. Hopefully they come together. Take Care and stay hydrated. I hope to have progress to report. I mean I could be hand sanding a lot of small parts. Could be. More later.
If your trying to get rust off of small parts and you have a couple days, a degreasing then a two day soak in a mixture of cleaning vinegar and salt will get you back to nearly clean metal. One cup of salt to a half gallon of cleaning vinegar. Just don't use LA Totally Awesome cleaning vinegar it's not true cleaning vinegar. The parts may need just a light brushing after the soak and make sure you dip them in baking soda and water after to neutralize the acidity.

cucvrus

DSCF8727.JPG
I have decided that after seeing that rough M1009 and also seeing the price of parts for the older trucks I am going to spend the time and money getting the 1986 OEM M1009 frame sandblasted and painted. I am sure I will find a buyer for it. I have it sitting here since 1999. It arrived as a complete M1009 with no hood and a locked-up engine from being rained on. Shame is it had 13 K miles on it, and I know to be accurate it was clean inside, but someone had taken a Sawzall to the roof to remove the rain gutters on the cab. From there it all went downhill. I offered up the axles and suspension for free and had no takers. Into the scrap with them now. Yesterday as an encore performance I went out and removed all bolt on brackets and the brake, fuel lines that are bolted to the frame. Somewhere someday someone will need a nice clean M1009 frame. I will have it in storage and available. Take Care. It is a simple task.

ssdvc

A little bit of a rough ride using those steel wheels, but it would be "different" !! And thanks for the offer, but as for needing them up in CT, if I bring home any more "yard art" the wife said she will lock me out !

cucvrus

Remember that old rusty M101 parts trailer I had. It relives in a different form.
1659694745095.png
1659694774317.png
The center frame section is the m101 trailer frame and the dead give away is the small D rings. I am so happy that this piece was repurposed. I also gave him the set of LED lights to repurpose. This young man has talent. I wanted to share with you what can be done when you put your best effort forward. Have a Great Day.

GunnyM1009

Remember that old rusty M101 parts trailer I had. It relives in a different form.
View attachment 875079
View attachment 875080
The center frame section is the m101 trailer frame and the dead give away is the small D rings. I am so happy that this piece was repurposed. I also gave him the set of LED lights to repurpose. This young man has talent. I wanted to share with you what can be done when you put your best effort forward. Have a Great Day.
Looks good, you can't really tell it's not a bed he purchased complete from somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks