• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am using the 1987 M1028 CUCV as a daily driver whilst my Silverado is in getting oil cooler lines changed. One would think by now that they can make oil cooler lines that will not leak. I made my own on a few CUCV's. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.
I'm surprised that they have the parts in stock for that!! Imagine how many they need just by looking at that recall number. Must be a fun job too at that much hour billed vs 2wd and 4wd! I'll pass on that warranty work! Have fun with the new old daily driver.

cucvrus

They offered me a loaner car and I said no I will drive the CUCV. If it was spring/summer, I would drive the loaner. The lines are on national back order, and I still like my new trucks more than the old ones. Comfort and a place to set my coffee cup. have a Great Day. And no, I don't need any add ons to the CUCV. It has worked great going on 40 years.

cucvrus

I had an M1009 snowplow truck dropped off at my barn. Owner said it won't start and he tried changing the filter and can't get it primed. I hopped inside and turned the key on. Fuel gauge over at 3 o'clock. I said
25 gallons later and it was off and running. He said it also has no brakes. I looked at the master cylinder and both reservoirs were empty. I put a small amount of DOT 5 in each reservoir and pumped the brakes. The right rear is leaking at the backside of the backing plate and has been for years. It looks like it has fur growing on it and I didn't find any leak up front except the outside of the master cylinder is leaking. I think the front brakes were compensating for no rear brakes and he was stabbing the brakes and the fluid was jetting against the lid and slowly leaking out the lid seal. That is my thoughts. Anyway 1 problem is fixed. And he mentioned fixing the fuel gauge. I am not sure I want to get involved in that time alone it looks like a nightmare. The transmission lines are spliced together with hose at different places. Most times I get the work after a butcher has worked on it and the butcher didn't want to work on it anymore. More FUN in the February sun. Take Care and Be Safe. I see $$$$ and know the owner don't understand. I will give an estimate.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an M1009 snowplow truck dropped off at my barn. Owner said it won't start and he tried changing the filter and can't get it primed. I hopped inside and turned the key on. Fuel gauge over at 3 o'clock. I said
25 gallons later and it was off and running. He said it also has no brakes. I looked at the master cylinder and both reservoirs were empty. I put a small amount of DOT 5 in each reservoir and pumped the brakes. The right rear is leaking at the backside of the backing plate and has been for years. It looks like it has fur growing on it and I didn't find any leak up front except the outside of the master cylinder is leaking. I think the front brakes were compensating for no rear brakes and he was stabbing the brakes and the fluid was jetting against the lid and slowly leaking out the lid seal. That is my thoughts. Anyway 1 problem is fixed. And he mentioned fixing the fuel gauge. I am not sure I want to get involved in that time alone it looks like a nightmare. The transmission lines are spliced together with hose at different places. Most times I get the work after a butcher has worked on it and the butcher didn't want to work on it anymore. More FUN in the February sun. Take Care and Be Safe. I see $$$$ and know the owner don't understand. I will give an estimate.
I think once he gets the 300$ bill to fill up the tank you'll know if he's up the other repairs!!

LT67

They offered me a loaner car and I said no I will drive the CUCV. If it was spring/summer, I would drive the loaner. The lines are on national back order, and I still like my new trucks more than the old ones. Comfort and a place to set my coffee cup. have a Great Day. And no, I don't need any add ons to the CUCV. It has worked great going on 40 years.
When I bought my 86 M1008, it had a Vintage Air full electronic AC system in non working condition. Long story short I got it fixed last year and now I'm spoiled lol

Elektroman99

Questions about a Chevrolet Blazer K5 / M1009, first registration 1986

So, the speedometer and fuel gauge remain "Dark".
It is only about the "backlight".
I checked the "dim" function, but it was not the cause of the missing background light.

Here is a picture of the fuses:

ssdvc

There are several small bulbs (194/168) on the back of the gauge cluster. When all are lit, you can see all parts, fuel, speedometer, etc. The ammeter has it's own bulb, so does the heater control panel. I replaced all of mine with Blue LED's and it looked great.

cucvrus

I have been venturing back out to my barn. I am making slow progress getting things cleaned up and cleared out of the way so I can work on tractors and lawn equipment. I want to get my M1009 project completed for its 40th anniversary. The set back in December is still fresh on my mind. Take Care. Be Safe and Have Fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks