• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV's And CARC

jj

Okay, i'm giving up i guess. I have not been able to find an answer on my own. So, are all CUCV's painted with CARC paint? And, if not, how can you tell? Before next inspection i'll need to do some serious body work, and i don't want to rip into it unprepared for the hazardous potential of sanding and grinding.

If u have an early M1008\M1009 the rest im sure are also. (They have changed some things now to be more enviormental friendly as they have done away with the lead so the carc used now isnt lead based anymore) They are defintely Carc my airforce cucv is carc paint this version was highly toxic due to the lead silica chromium and numerous others if u sand on this u will need charcoal filters and an approved half mask i work around this stuff every day due some research as u also dont need to weld around any of it the fumes are pretty toxic when its heated and burned :][thumbzup]good luck and be safe

jj

Thanks for the replies. After reading the link from Mr. Zout, i'm not really sure if i want to mess around with this project at all. The residue certainly seems to have some seriously harmful potential. As i'll be working in the driveway, there is no way to control the dust. Perhaps maybe i should just strip the body off the frame and find a commercial paint stripper to dip tank it. That makes this project about four or five steps further on up the road to infinity than i want to go. Time for some more research. Maybe some who have experience might share how they've handled the situation?

DokWatson

Notice the key words 'long term exposure'. Wear a mask and take a shower afterwords...no different than sanding any other paint off a vehicle. You aren't going to die :roll: Spray it down with water and sand it, you won't get as much 'death dust'. Motor oil causes skin cancer, I don't see people in full MOPP gear changing oil very often.

No reason to sand it anyways, makes for an excellent base coat for paint to stick to.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a couple of quotes from the link posted- "CARC is essentially a low gloss version of automotive-grade polyurethane paint." and "Most of the components of CARC are not unique; almost any polyurethane paint contains them."

So the bottom line is, while it is hazardous it's really no more toxic than what your modern car is painted with. I've sanded a bunch of it with a respirator and haven't died yet.

Oldsouthernboy

I sand on mine with the screen that is used to sand dry wall, I wrap it around a block of wood, then using a hose with the water on real low I sand my vehicle to get the texture, runs and what have you out of the paint, Controls the dust real good, when done in a area I wash it with more water and soap to get the residue off. When dry I can look at it from angles and see where I need more work, the large block of wood allows me to really get the high spots off quickly.

Nonotagain

Notice the key words 'long term exposure'. Wear a mask and take a shower afterwords...no different than sanding any other paint off a vehicle. You aren't going to die :roll: Spray it down with water and sand it, you won't get as much 'death dust'. Motor oil causes skin cancer, I don't see people in full MOPP gear changing oil very often.
Ding, ding, ding, ........we have a winner!

I've been testing using CARC since 1986 when it first made it's way onto weapons systems.

The issue with CARC is/was the isocynates and the older primers used due to lead and chrome.

Don't eat, drink, or smoke in the area where you are working. Dispose of your sanding fines either on plastic sheeting or vacuum up using a HEPA vac. Keep the kids and animals out of the area where you are working.

Working on cured CARC is no different than any other automotive paint.

Last edited:

OddballJ

No reason to sand it anyways, makes for an excellent base coat for paint to stick to.

would desert cover it up pretty easily, or will dark green show through for 50 coats? :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks