• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV's bigger brother

Milbikes

It isn't a CUCV, but this section of the forum seems like the closest fit.

I just recovered my "new-to-me" truck from Fort Indiantown Gap, and man, what a place that is! I saw green (and tan) everywhere! Most every vehicle I saw there looked like new, other than a few lots with well used looking vehicles. Do they refurbish there? I saw many M1008 trucks that were solid green, and looked like new.

I got to hear helicopters running up, taking off, and returning while I was loading my new truck.

I could hear big booms in the background. Some kind of artillery practice?

Anyway, on to my new truck. It is a 1988 Chevy crew cab 6.2 diesel 4x4. It looks like it has a rebuilt or relatively newer engine.

The stencil on the dash is funny! Some new military directive?

There is no key, and my CUCV key doesn't work in it. Getting a key is my first priority.

My wife calls it a boondoggle........ I don't know why....

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome catch. That truck is just screaming to become a CUCV clone. I had an 88 V-30 similar to that one, wished I still had it. Like yours, mine didn't have A/C. Had a local shop install A/C and it worked pretty good but since the blower assy was inside the cab, it sounded like the east end of a west bound departure runway.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boondoggle (project), term for a scheme that wastes time and money

Click the link for more info. Caution, educational material...

MARCO1031

I drove these when I was in the Air Force. Ours spent most of it's life at 25 mph or less. And yes They liked to remind you not to smoke ALL the time...I guess they were worried about jets catching on fire...go figure :grin:

jimmy-90

Does that truck have blackout lights, 4.56 gears, detroit locker, and slave cable ect. like the cucv's? I noticed it has a stereo in it. I've been debating wether to put the stereo out of my other truck into my 1028.

KsM715

Does that truck have blackout lights, 4.56 gears, detroit locker, and slave cable ect. like the cucv's? I noticed it has a stereo in it. I've been debating wether to put the stereo out of my other truck into my 1028.

No B.O. or slave cable on those. I too drove a few of those while in the USAF, always called them a 6-pack.

KsM715

I got to hear helicopters running up, taking off, and returning while I was loading my new truck.

I could hear big booms in the background. Some kind of artillery practice?

I live close enough to Ft Riley I can hear when they are firing the M1 tanks and that sweet rythmic 50 cal. I love going to sleep to the sweet sound of freedom.

K9Vic

Last live GSA sale I went too they had one of those and woukd have bought, but becauase I had already won four CUCV bids I had to pass. I was a really nice truck and very clean, plus it ran great. I wish I would have boug it as it would have made a great CUCV clone crew cab.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely needs a camo paint job, a brushguard and a set of HMMWV tires to complete the package! Good save....

acmunro

I've picked up several chevy crew cabs (civilian trucks used by the Military). (2) 90' Chevy
V-30 duallys (with Air cond) used by the Navy. They each have 4.56:1 ratio TH 400 NP205 and 6.2 diesels (1) 91' Chevy Air Force V-30 dually no A/C but has 6.2 4L80e overdrive NP205 with 4.10:1 ratio. And one 91' R-30 2wd Air Force truck w/AC 5.7L gas 4L80e 4.10 rear. That extra seat is handy space to have. I think you will like the truck. Do you know what ratio the truck is ? Good Luck

Last edited:

mactiredearg

:drool: no fair! :drool:

That truck and/or an m109 van body are tied on my wish list for my next MV acquisition. And the wife would actually approve of that truck, as long as I agree to tow her horse trailer with it... :mrgreen: