• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVs on base. How many left?

603hellmutt

Seen quite a few go out of Maine, every single one has been missing atleast the radiator and most were missing alternator as well. Very rough shape for sure.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been very lucky with all the MV's I bought so far
from the military.
All have been much better than expected.
My 1008 "looked" the worse, but once home realized all the really expensive work/parts was already done by military.

Im bidding now on a Army SEE (Small Emplacement Excavator)
A truly unique and hopefully handy MV.

Wanting two more CUCVs
Wife is wanting her own.
Its sounding like the pool is getting thinner than I thought.
I'm late in the MV game anyway

Theres most likely more out there than we think, but they won't last forever.

Ok

Thanks Everyone.

Will get what I like at auction now instead of later.

2deuce

Now when one shows up at auction there are many eyes looking at the one truck, and the good ones that do show are few. You also see guys restoring some pretty rough rigs, because of demand.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I thought I saw one on Dobbins AFB a week or two ago. But I can't say that for certain. I did however see a M35A2 out there.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've put my M1009 in long term storage in a shipping container.
Will do same for a M1008. Both are for my daughters when they get older.
Wife also wants her very own M1008.

Several good ones have come and gone lately at auction.
I wasn't paying close enough attention and let them slip away.
Next ones I like are mine.
Sucks because they are gonna be pricy.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
As of June, Ft Bliss had 2 nice freshly painted tan M1031's and one freshly paint M1008/28 and one old green one. All were at DOL maintenance. See a couple here and there out of ranges getting shot full of holes. There is also a fed agency using a bunch of various CUCV models static training aids for performing vehicle searches, they also have several deuces of various types.

Terracoma

Cannon AFB has at least one M1009, spotted out near the flightline, keeping some armored HMMWVs company.

Also a handful of residue M1008/M1028 chassis' at Kirtland AFB, north of the Security Forces' warehouse.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to my previous, I know of two pickups sitting inside a fence in a yard on Bangor. I *think* one of them might be a dually, but I'm not sure as it's hard to get a good look at them. One has an aluminum cap on the rear. They've been sitting in that yard for at least four years now. I made one attempt to get someone to OK my going in there and pulling parts but the guy I spoke to didn't own them, or the yard, so he couldn't give the go-ahead. Why they are still there and not DRMO'd out I cannot imagine.

gottaluvit

Check background pics at Chambersburg, PA. I was just there last week and was walking toward a skeleton of one but before I could look around much I was ordered to return to my truck. Not by Jay but by his help. I guess the fellow thought I might slip a 6.2 in my pocket.

Guyfang

Staff member
I counted, (I think) 4 CUCV's at Geiselwind Music and Bike Rally, this last weekend. There may be some pictures. First have to check my camera, then get pictures from some of the other people. Beer and cameras often to not work well together. We will see. All of the CUCV's I saw were drivable, with tags on them, so they made it under their own power to the rally.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cannon AFB has at least one M1009, spotted out near the flightline, keeping some armored HMMWVs company.

Also a handful of residue M1008/M1028 chassis' at Kirtland AFB, north of the Security Forces' warehouse.
Will be at Kirland very soon.
I will definitely be checking that out!

AECS

Theres one in the parking lot outside here on NSA Midsouth in Millington TN. But it is mine. I have not ever listed it, but 15,000 and it is yours... lol

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spotted a nice looking M1008 in the parking lot of a reserve unit in Kansas City last week. I stopped by on business but had to detour around the parking lot to ogle the CUCV on my way out.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found the best place to buy CUCVs is Craig's List and GSA auctions. About one out of five are in pretty good shape, considering.

Terracoma

Will be at Kirland very soon.
I will definitely be checking that out!
No idea how to get close to them, but they've been there for over a year...

Make your way thru base to Hardin Blvd (east end of the main runway) and continue east. Turn left (to the north) on either Pennsylvania or Texas, and then hang your first right (eastward) onto Griffin Ave. Keep your eyes to the northern warehouses, you'll spot them on the far side of the fence. Happy hunting!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No idea how to get close to them, but they've been there for over a year...

Make your way thru base to Hardin Blvd (east end of the main runway) and continue east. Turn left (to the north) on either Pennsylvania or Texas, and then hang your first right (eastward) onto Griffin Ave. Keep your eyes to the northern warehouses, you'll spot them on the far side of the fence. Happy hunting!
I am very familiar with Kirkland.
I know exactly where you are talking about. Just never seen CUCVs in that area.
Thanks for the heads up!

KI4FKW

Old thread, but I thought it was neat. We have the Anniston Army Depot, what's left of Fort McClellan (about half of it is still active as an Army National Guard base), a couple of reserve centers, and multiple small ANG bases in our county. I have access to them. I'd say there are still about 20 or so CUCVs puttering our area in military service. They tend to be doing odds and ends jobs for the most part.

Keith_J

Service and support for local action? They will be used. We were loaning out 880s back in 1988 when on TDY. If they run, they will be used on reserve duty.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep seeing them in background shots on auction sites.

When I was flying in Northen California earlier this month, I spotted several in use at different government facilities and more in the DRMO lots.
They do stand out on a Military base.

Prices have definitely gone up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks