• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Culpeper, VA to Atlanta

rmgill

So last spring I had an event in SC with my WWII group. On the way to meet/pick up one of the guys in the group, the Transmission on my truck lost some teeth and started making some odd noise. The diagnosis and problem was detailed in a previous thread.

After repairs were made by my friend and his brother (an Ex Canadian Army REME) at the same friends farm, I was on tap at some point (no hurry) to get my truck and head back south. As the humber armoured Car restoration has had mounting costs, my share of that meant that I needed to find some funds and the same freind in Culpeper (Randy) proposed buying my Daimler Dingo. He has a truck to move it so I didn't need to add the truck the sale. That all meant that I needed to get the truck back to atlanta at some point and I have projects at my house that are waiting on the truck to move the building materials. So, with lots of vacation at the end of the year AND a now empty trailer for the move south, I elected to zip up there in my little Honda Insight and tow it back on the trailer with the deuce.

I drove up Monday and Tuesday myself and another friend ended up going over to VMMV to look at his newly imported Daimler Armoured Car. We also looked around the museum and talked to Marc a bit. Then we headed back to Randy's farm. There we chatteda bit more, I did some minor work on the truck that ended up being a waste of time as I was lacking some parts needed and we loaded the truck up and chatted some more.

Wednesday morning I finished loading a few things with Randy and I drove south down Highway 3 to I95. I stopped in at the Flying J at Ruther Glen to top up the fuel tanks (2) by about 35 gallons. I checked the load straps securing the car. They were all loose. Nylon straps apparently stretch a bit. I snugged them down and continued on. The trip got gruling fora while until I hit a second wind around south of South Carolina. I stopped in at several rest stops along the way (most of them it seems) to recycle the coffee I'd drank and stretch my legs and check the truck out. The new transmission is holding up well. The transfer case has a bit of a leak from the front shaft/seal. Probably something to deal with eventually. The leakage is only so much that it wets things down and it's not a constant drip.

I arrived in Atlanta just as the party crowd was starting to get rowdy. I saw an H3 rolled on it's side on I85 near Norcross right up on the center wall. Several more wrecks and LOTS of police out making stops. I managed to arrive home just in time to grab a change of clothes, move the firearms from the truck into the house and jump in the car with the GF to go to a big party at a friend's house.

I have not re-topped the tanks so I don't know exactly how far down they are. The left tank is down to a bit over a quarter. The right down to just at quarter. I expect milage will be around 9 mpg or so. Perhaps lower, we'll see when I go up to the Quicktrip Saturday to re-fill both tanks.

Trip Odom 607 mi
Stopped time 1 hr 04 min
Moving Average 48.7mph
Moving time 12 hrs 27 min

Start time was ~10:20 am in Culpeper, Va.
End time was ~11:35 pm in Decatur, Ga.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Small world, I lived in Culpeper VA from 11/97 until 1/04. Nice town, but last time I was there a couple months back, I didn't recognize it.

Sounds like an interesting trip. Glad you're back okay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks