• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 250 motor won't rev over 2100 rpm

Rifleman

Well i was working on my new truck today, i was changing the fuel filter. Anyway after i changed the fuel filter i started up my truck to check for fuel leaks, no leaks were found so that's a good thing but i did notice that sitting in my driveway with the truck in neutral i can't get the truck to rev over 2100 RPM. Now even if i hold my foot to the floor the truck will not rev over 2100 rpm, so is this normal, does the engine have a rev limiter or governor that limits the rpm to 2100 rpm as a max?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"GOVERNOR" the CUMMINS max rpm is 2100, I am sure you MISSED this when you read the -10

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you down shift going down a steep hill you can get them to rev higher.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The 250 is governed to 2100 RPM for a reason. Back in the good old days of trucking (60's,70's) lots of drivers would clamp a set of vice grips on the return fuel line (known as a "Cincinatti Tune Up") to get more power/speed out if the engine. This was especially common on the freight line trucks (Yellow, Roadway, etc.) since they were cut back to 1900 RPM. At night you could see the stack glowing red if the truck was in a hard pull.
I've driven 250's and 400's that were turned up to 2350 RPM but you really have to know how to drive a truck with a hot engine in it. If you keep you foot in the pump on a hard pull you can melt it down.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WM, your little story brings back memories. I'm not old enough but my Granddad and his buddies used to tell stories of the "glory days" of trucking. Truckers used to be hard core and would drive rattle trap trucks that would be impounded in no time flat today all the way across the country and back with little or no sleep for days on end.

Interapid

That sounds like so much fun! All those pesky seat belts, air bags and cars getting 40 MPG. We should do away with all that and go back to solid metal dash boards to smack our faces on when we are sleepy so we won't hit a row of cars and fly through the non safety glass windshield. A guy could get hurt like that! Get rid of airbags, you could hit a bump and it will go off and you will chip your tooth on your whiskey glass. I hate when that happens. Wonder what a truckers life expectancy is today compared to the good old glory days!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds like so much fun! All those pesky seat belts, air bags and cars getting 40 MPG. We should do away with all that and go back to solid metal dash boards to smack our faces on when we are sleepy so we won't hit a row of cars and fly through the non safety glass windshield. A guy could get hurt like that! Get rid of airbags, you could hit a bump and it will go off and you will chip your tooth on your whiskey glass. I hate when that happens. Wonder what a truckers life expectancy is today compared to the good old glory days!
Heaven forbid we ever get behind the wheel of a MV then. :wink:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Funny, he didn't say it was good back then, he just pointed out what his Granddad said about the past. When the past is remembered like that it is usually because it was more dangerous and the old-timers know it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Trucking has always been a rough way to make a living. It is, in fact, one of the most dangerous jobs in this country.
A lot of things have improved like the air ride suspensions, air ride seats, more creature comforts in the trucks, better truckstops. It is still a mind numbing and boring job in some cases. Pay has gotten better but a lot of companies still operate "sweat shops on wheels".
All I ever did in my adult life was drive a truck and be in the military. I'm thankful for my military retirement so I don't have to go back to over the road driving.
I still have a CDL but I'll only go back to trucking if people quit throwing aluminum cans on the side of the road.