• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 5.9L in a Deuce?

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I am getting at is leave the engine that is in the truck, I just don't think that puttin in a cummins from looking at my multiple friends failures is a good idea.

ODdave

Ok, But he is looking for things the stock engine isnt capable of. Hp exceeding 200 isnt gonna happen in the muti, and if it dose, well........it isnt gonna do it long.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys DO realize that the original post was 4 years ago, right?

OD_Coyote

If you are going with a 6BT Cummins I would lean toward a variant that does not need a computer for simplicity. I have owned 6BT powered Dodge pickup trucks since 1992 and I like the simplicity of the 12V (no computer). I currently have a 2001 Dodge (24 valve engine with 208K miles) and its still running strong with the original VP44 fuel pump (which is the weak link on the 24 valve motors). Just for the record below is the link to an article on Diesel Power about gent that has 1.4 million miles on his 24 valve Cummins powered Dodge.

2001 Dodge Ram 3500 - Cummins Diesel Engine - Diesel Power Magazine

If I had to replace my LDT I would consider a Cummins, but there would have to be a window in the side of the block for me to go that route.

Ditch Baby

you can put a p-pump from a 12v on a 24v making it all mechanical.

watch out for the 54 blocks on the 24v. prone to cracking.

also, the 5.9 weighs a significant amount less then the multi. ~800lbs lighter.

I wouldn't hesitate putting a 6BT into my bobber if I needed a new engine in it. If I had the liquid cash to do it now, I'd probably do it soon.

Lay aside that the 6BT is much ligher than the LDT and comes stock with more HP and torque than the LDT. The biggest draw to moving to the 6BT is parts availability and easy modification for extracting serious horsepower and torque out of it.

Ditch Baby

They weigh more than 800 lbs. The 4.2 in my land cruiser weighs about 800 pounds.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/much-does-5-9-cummins-weigh-t243446.html
re-read that.... i said about 800 pounds lighter.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/14801-ldt-weight-vs-6bt-weight.html

weight of a cummins - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

53 Block, Not 54
fat fingered that one on the phone... my truck has the 53 block, 145k on it, beat the dog piss out of it and so far no issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks