• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cummins 6bt in a cucv

nhdiesel

Just a couple FACTS to back up what I posted:
General Cummins info, including the 745 lb. weight of a 4bt, and 130hp power level as well as quite a bit of 6b info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummins_B_Series_engine

More 6b specs, including a Cummins stated 1280 lb. engine weight (including a marine heat exchanger):

I'm not trying to push the Cummins engine...they are great, but not for everyone. I just want accurate facts for you to consider.

Jim

mitchellracing

anyhow to answer your actual question the cummins dealer can get ya one you can get a recon cheaper but not cheap the cummins dealer one wont be like a dodge itll be an industrial verson and will have more bottum end power that what we used but i ya go that route make sure ya get the low turbo mount manifold you can get the dodge version from dodge dealer you can even get em from case they were actually orignially built by case case may be the cheapest route we usually get parts from case they r cheaper on parts

cnordway

javascript:emoticon(':)')
Smilejavascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy hello jimmy this is kris (the boy who works with phil). how are you doing? i check this about every other day.

tsmall07

mitchellracing said:
anyhow to answer your actual question the cummins dealer can get ya one you can get a recon cheaper but not cheap the cummins dealer one wont be like a dodge itll be an industrial verson and will have more bottum end power that what we used but i ya go that route make sure ya get the low turbo mount manifold you can get the dodge version from dodge dealer you can even get em from case they were actually orignially built by case case may be the cheapest route we usually get parts from case they r cheaper on parts
Is it so much to ask for a period or comma every now and then? I got a head ache trying to read your posts.

tacoma

Re: RE: cummins 6bt in a cucv

This isn't true at all. I took one OUT of a K30, and will be putting it in mine, and there was plenty of room for a normal fan.

Overdrive is more or less a must though, unless you like going slow. :D :D I'm using the Dodge trans so this isn't an issue for me.

WillWagner said:
A 6 will work. You will need to run an electric fan though. No room for the hub mounted fan when it's stuffed in it. Keep this in mind. You will lose road speed. the B is 2500 rpm rated and...i'm not too familliar with the engine in the CUCV series, but I think they turn around 3200-3600? Figure 3 to 4 mph per 100 RPM. Even if the stocker turns 3000, that is still a loss of around 12 MPH..at rated RPM. Your mileage will suffer if you do lots of highway driving. All of the trucks i've seen converted had an overdrive of some sort on them. If you do it, you will need a trans adaptor from a 4B in a GM 1 1/2 ton step van. It tilts the engine about 8 degrees to the exhaust side, so the fuel pump and PS/vacuum pump clear the frame. The 6 is tight, but it does fit rather nicely. I saw a 4 in a Jeep Wrangler the other day. Looked good, but he said he lost about 20 MPH .

another vote...

For the 4bt...real close in weight to the 6.2,more than enough power,and easily tunable for lots more.it's short,so much less fuss under hood.
As an industrial engine,it's built for real work.less weight means fewer suspension mods.i personally think that a 6b is too heavy for anything less than a 1-ton.thats a lot of mass to park over the front end.

and the best part? a properly tuned 4bt has the power to compete with a larger engine,but driven with a light foot,also has the ability to deliver 4-cyl economy.much better economy than a 6bt.it's hard to imagine now...but that economy thing is gonna get much more important in years to come...and it's also happy burning "alternate" fuels.

tacoma

A marine heat exchanger is pretty freakin' heavy.

The Cummins 6bt manual lists the 6bt at something like 960lbs. Still very heavy, but not 1300. :D

nhdiesel said:
Just a couple FACTS to back up what I posted:
General Cummins info, including the 745 lb. weight of a 4bt, and 130hp power level as well as quite a bit of 6b info:

More 6b specs, including a Cummins stated 1280 lb. engine weight (including a marine heat exchanger):

I'm not trying to push the Cummins engine...they are great, but not for everyone. I just want accurate facts for you to consider.

Jim

nhdiesel

Exactly my point...vs. the 2500 lbs. another poster claimed. I have seen many 6bt swaps into fairly light vehicles on other sites, including 1/2 ton GMs, one fairly stock Dakota (Bank's Sidewinder doesn't count), and many 3/4 and 1 ton Fords and GMs. I don't know if I would put one in a 1/2 ton though, just because of what the weight would do over the front axle, and what the torque would do to the lighter frame. Even Dodge used the 1-ton frame for their 3/4 ton Cummins trucks. 3/4 ton V-8 trucks use a lighter frame than 3/4 ton Cummins and V-10.

Jim

thecarman

I have a 1979 K30 with a swapped in 6BT. No body lift. No firewall mods. *DOES* have the Cummins mechanical fan. Used the Dodge radiator. Used the dodge engine crossmember welded into the Chevy frame. The front frame crossmember had to be trimmed slightly to clear the A/C compressor, and the passenger front frame had to be notched for the same reason. The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is the frame notch, but I plan to re-inforce it at some point. It has held up fine to 30-50k miles since the swap. A guy in Illinois did the swap, then sold it to another guy in IL, who sold it to a guy in TX, which is where I bought it.

mtjbrown

That looks very nice, cj!! Also, there are usually several Dodge diesels on craigslist here in ga for 3-4 k , just take your time.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hear in michigan you can buy one for around 1000.00 to 3000.00 all depends on the year.
My setup has Vaccum & Transmission Vaccum regulator valve to run Th 475 trans shift Great
the Engine 250 hp 650 ft lbs tork. that is all I need.
Thank you.

Attachments

ranchhopper

A good source of 6bts is retired school buses they are very reasonable on craigs list I was going to use either a 6bt or 3208 cat for my bobbed deuce and went with the cat.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Joe I will try to get some better Pics soon I start new thread when I finish Photos All parts are avaible from Cummins EXC the lower alt bracket & thr Over mount to Block. I have Hyd tubing Bender.
:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks