• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 6BT in M880-Pitfalls?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I searched and can't find anyone who has actually done this. My motivation is fuel economy, not pulling 30K lb gooseneck trailers. My big concern is will the engine be too close to the front axle in a stock (non-lifted) truck? Assistance appreciated, I am about to buy a donor CTD equipped 2WD truck for this purpose.

Crash_AF

Nope, it should bolt in with a minimum of mods. Make sure you take all of the mounts off of the donor to bolt it in. I'm assuming that your donor is a 1st gen truck (89-93) and not a 2nd gen truck (94-01). If you don't have a donor 1st gen truck, I'd suggest trying to find one in a junkyard that you can get the engine mount pedestals off of as that will be the major hurdle I believe.

Several people have built first gen crew cab trucks by swapping donor CTDs into the earlier body trucks. Here's a link to a site about a CTD swapped into a 1972 Dodge motorhome. An M880 should be very similar.
My Motorhome

Later,
Joe

Elwenil

You would have to use Cummins truck front springs and I would highly recommend a Dana 60 front axle as the weight of a Cummins will overload the stock Dana 44. Check out RamchargerCentral.com for info on a lot of W series Cummins swaps.

wehring

Cummins

Hey Franz,

I have a good friend in Vista CA that put a 6bt in a ram charger. I think it is for sale. Drop me a line if you are interested.

The motor mounts for a 2wd and 4wd are different. I have both and you are welcome to them. Lets get together after I return on May 2.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This guy has put 4BTA's in to several types Dodge trucks. Different motor, but his fab work is "factory" or above, step by step and lots of pictures. Might give you some ideas on how to get around problems you might encounter. Albums By Power Wagon - ImageEvent scroll down to the Dodge conversions

tractorfix

If your primary motivation is mileage, go with the 4bta. The M880 frame/suspension/drivetrain will handle it no sweat and you should be looking at anywhere from 25mpg up. And forget about mileage until you get an overdrive tranny in it or change to around 3.00 gearing instead of the 4.10's. I've been gathering NOS parts for a similar job for about 3 years now. But rather than transplanting the motor, I will be putting the M882 cab and box onto a 93 cummins chassis. It has 3.55's and a overdrive 518 tranny.
Also note that if you are using a 91.5 up intercooled motor, the intercooler will ONLY fit behind the 76 grill. The 77-78 grill will require modification as the back of the parking lights have major interference with the I/C

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find Dana 61 front axle & dana 70 rear out first gen dodge w350 it will have 3.07 gear set.
your frame mount is the same as the 89 to 93 1st gen dodge.
engine mounts to engine & rubber icl pad for the mount are still avaible from Cummins or
Dodge dealer.
The raditor is no problem look for the thread on CUCV 5.9 has dual alt's.

Attachments

Elwenil

The trucks with the D61/D71 combo with 3.07 gears are the W series trucks in either 250 or 350 that have the normal 727 3 speed auto. The '91 and up trucks generally have a 4 speed auto with a normal D60/D70 and deeper gears. Also no 5 speed manual truck would have the D61/D71 combo.

mf5129

buy the 89 to 93 truck as donor sell the 6bt engine and buy a 4bt.then you will have everything.a w250 or 350 is rare and expensive.low production for early models

imbobbbb

If your primary motivation is mileage, go with the 4bta. The M880 frame/suspension/drivetrain will handle it no sweat and you should be looking at anywhere from 25mpg up. And forget about mileage until you get an overdrive tranny in it or change to around 3.00 gearing instead of the 4.10's. I've been gathering NOS parts for a similar job for about 3 years now. But rather than transplanting the motor, I will be putting the M882 cab and box onto a 93 cummins chassis. It has 3.55's and a overdrive 518 tranny.
Also note that if you are using a 91.5 up intercooled motor, the intercooler will ONLY fit behind the 76 grill. The 77-78 grill will require modification as the back of the parking lights have major interference with the I/C

Why bother changing the cab?Just bolt the m8882 front clip,doors,and bed onto the '93 cab.That makes it real easy.