• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 8.3L Injection Pump Identification

Speedzilla

Hey Guys,

I have a truck (M54) with an 8.3L Cummins, and I want to start some tuning. I have EGT, Boost and Fuel Pressure gauges installed and I am eager to play around with the pump a little. Only problem, I have no idea what controls what on this pump. I have spent quite some time on Google and turned up a whole lot of nothing. I know Bosch MW pumps were used on a lot of 6CTA engines, but from my Mercedes Diesel Bosch Tag Identification knowledge, I believe this is a Bosch M pump, but I can't find anything on these larger M pumps. Can anyone offer any help?
IMG_20130613_201826_684.jpgIMG_20130613_201831_426.jpgIMG_20130613_202711_438.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You should pm nevrenufhp he helped me turn my fuel and rev up. Your setup looks a little different than mine but i bet he will know exactly what to do.

nevrenufhp

There should be numbers on the side of the pump that says what model it is. From what I can tell, it's the MW like most 5 tons had. There's no fuel plate, it's 2 nuts(sometimes just 1) on the back end of the pump. Right behind the AFC. Your picture blocks where the AFC and fuel rate are adjusted. I also made a post on how to do a few things to it:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?149207-Cummins-8-3-Hot-rodding-info

DWC

Man i'm glad you responded! thanks. I haven't bought it yet,,, but there are a few i'm looking at and they all have this pump,,, I've seen your video on turning up the MW pumps,, (one of the only helpful videos out there) I've had several 5.9's but every 5 ton i'm looking at has this pump which is a bit different. what kind of hp increase am i looking at fiddling with the fuel screws? comparable to a ground off plate?

nevrenufhp

The Dodges have a 12mm pump, and these only went up to a 10mm, so the power potential isnt quite as high with the free mods. With the tinkering, it'll gain roughly 40hp/100tq.

DWC

I'll have to get ahold of you for gov spring/s, injectors, and timing change advice then when it gets here! i'm sure It can be woke up a bit more that 40/100 without burning it down?!

nevrenufhp

It can easily make 500+hp, but it gets spendy pretty fast. Just doing the free mods will get the EGT up pretty high. Plan on getting a big turbo or twins & intercooler if you want more than the free mods. It's a safe bet to O-ring it, but they generally hold up pretty well at the more modest power levels, and not too high of timing.

Last edited: