• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins Engine Swap

Jaguar

I have been looking into getting a 6x6 version of one of these as my next vehicle in the next couple months. I was talking to my brother about it since he's a diesel mechanic. He is slightly biased but said I should consider doing a cummins 6.7 swap as it's a similar size but just a bit taller. He has a bunch of training from Cummins and experience with the engines and said it's not an issue to get rid of any emissions stuff. Has anyone ever done this? I would definitely be interested and he could get me one fairly cheap if it would be possible .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have been looking into getting a 6x6 version of one of these as my next vehicle in the next couple months. I was talking to my brother about it since he's a diesel mechanic. He is slightly biased but said I should consider doing a cummins 6.7 swap as it's a similar size but just a bit taller. He has a bunch of training from Cummins and experience with the engines and said it's not an issue to get rid of any emissions stuff. Has anyone ever done this? I would definitely be interested and he could get me one fairly cheap if it would be possible .
6.7s would not like it. You are talking about a higher gvwr than a 1 ton dodge. It would not live a long life. There is an sae 2 bellhousing for the allison

Cheap practical swap would be a non electronic DT466. Basically buy a bus as scrap price. Sell a few key parts like transmission and brake stuff then scrap it. Use the motor.

Or use the transmission and a T1138 transfer case so you have a really good overdrive.

You could sell the 3116. Transmission and transfer case from the LMTV to adequately fund the swap.

The dt466 will produce gobs of power for cheap. They are very reliable and simple maintenance

Jaguar

6.7s would not like it. You are talking about a higher gvwr than a 1 ton dodge. It would not live a long life. There is an sae 2 bellhousing for the allison

Cheap practical swap would be a non electronic DT466. Basically buy a bus as scrap price. Sell a few key parts like transmission and brake stuff then scrap it. Use the motor.

Or use the transmission and a T1138 transfer case so you have a really good overdrive.

You could sell the 3116. Transmission and transfer case from the LMTV to adequately fund the swap.

The dt466 will produce gobs of power for cheap. They are very reliable and simple maintenance
I do know class D busses weigh a similar amount

I didn't think to clarify but I did mean the medium duty version not the Pickup truck one

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I do know class D busses weigh a similar amount

I didn't think to clarify but I did mean the medium duty version not the Pickup truck one
They may weigh a similar amount. I am talking about GVWR. A 6x6 M1088 has it around a 45,000lb GVWR for itself. The truck weighs around 21k and has a towed load capability of 60,000lbs.

The medium duty 6.7 is used in the F750s which are in the 33,000lb gvw range.

I guess it depends on what you are gonna do with it.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to ask "to what purpose?"

What will any of these engines do that the OEM cat won't do equally well? (Or close enough to equally well to be indistinguishable in the given usage?)

I could see an engine swap if the existing engine was destroyed and needed replacement.

I can see an engine swap if the purpose is just the entertainment value of the swap.

I don't see it if the purpose is improved performance. I just don't see enough of a difference.

I concede I may be missing something. If so, what?

ppillard

My engine may have just died. I would consider swapping to a Cummins strictly for ease of parts availability. But I really don't want to.

Skyhawk13205

Check out Gov Planet item #3664595

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My engine may have just died. I would consider swapping to a Cummins strictly for ease of parts availability. But I really don't want to.
Doesn't seem like parts are very hard to get for the 3116. All the parts I've gotten from the local heavy duty truck supplier have either been in stock, or in their local warehouse for delivery in a day or two. The engine is the easiest part of the truck to get parts for, it seems.

Reworked LMTV

The DT530 would be interesting. It is based on the DT466 and has the same physical dimensions. They typically get good reviews. It has more cubic inches and can be tuned easily to around 300 hp. In addition, you can do an in-frame rebuild.

smoke

I have a feeling the op figures 6.7 cummins makes close to 400hp and 1000 ftlb now. Hotrod. We have them in some of your transit bus with Allison hybrid trans. Not a bad engine but hybrid unit does must of the work up to 20 mph that's were they blend the engine in at. So if you are just riding around in the truck not really using it for heavy loads go for it. If you think about it 3500 dodge dually is rated to tow 30k fifth wheel style now and the truck weigh roughly 8k-10k. You won't have to worry about oil line cracking, etc... They're common rail fuel system easy to work low maintance. Keep the oil change and fuel filter changed. Only thing, you got to watch is variable geomertry turbo. The vgt motors go bad. That if you delete emission stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks