• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins swap question

rdixiemiller

The LDS 465 book states that "the crankcase is made of cast iron. It is designed for maximum rigidity by extending the sides of the crankcase below the centerline of the crankshaft. The main bearing caps are provided with maximum support by recessing them into transverse webs which are cast integrally with the crankcase". "The crankshaft is a 1 piece unit of forged and Tocco hardened steel".
For the time, this was cutting edge. The main think I have seen in all the pictures of blown engines is #6 rod coming out. Methinks the oiling system might be the weakest link?
Any ideas on that?

rdixiemiller

Also, the Hypercycle engine was specifically designed top provide a slow, even, burn with a wide variety Cetane of fuels. The pistons have to be fairly heavy to accomodate that deep combustion chamber. I believe a purpose designed Diesel engine can provide more power than the Multifuel. But, remember, the multifuel was designed for an entirely different set of circumstances.
I like the multifuel, but I am sure the Cummins can be made to produce more power per cubic inch. However, the old Hypercycle Multifuel is still a grand old engine.
Now, all things else aside, has anyone tried one of the 4 cylinder diesels in a deuce? 4-71 detroit or maybe the 4 cyl. Cummins?

Jones

Been cruising the local truck wrecker and found some goodies; Bell-housing, flex plate and starter for CTD to Allison. Also, off of a CTD/Freightliner set-up, a fullsized WABCO air compressor that bolts in place of the automotive application power steering pump. Cpmpressor in turn has a power steering pump attached to the rear. Exh manifold for high turbo mount. Looks like my powerplant woes are solved. Industrial and light truck applications open a whole new field of CTD 5.9 related goodies!

hot rod deuce

Aw man your making me jellous! I have all the stuff for tha allison if your interested, thats what mine came with.

I think the 4 banger might be a little short, but if a 6 Cyl is good for 600 HP a 4 bager should hit 400 Hp

rdixiemiller

The 4 would just be an easier swap, because of the length. The 4-71, at 284 inches, makes the same HP as a 568 inch 4 stroke. The 4 strokes generally have more torque. A 4-71 would give a higher top speed, I seem to remember them turning close to 3000 rpm in the boats.
Now, if they just didn't scream so loudly.....

bcowanwheels

6bt cummins mated to a 305A TRANS PART NUMBERS NEEDED

HELLO I,AM GOING TO INSTALL A 6BT CUMMINS IN AN M35A2 WITH THE STOCK 3053A TRANS. i have te sae#3 bellhousing but i need the part numbers for the flyheel and clutch & pressure plate setup. can someone help me ? all info would be a greatly appreciated help. thanks bob bcowanwheels@aol.com

bcowanwheels

6bt cummins mated to a 305A TRANS PART NUMBERS NEEDED

HELLO I,AM GOING TO INSTALL A 6BT CUMMINS IN AN M35A2 WITH THE STOCK 3053A TRANS. i have the sae # 3 bellhousing but i need the part numbers for the flywheel and clutch & pressure plate setup. can someone help me ? all info would be a greatly appreciated help. thanks bob bcowanwheels@aol.com

hot rod deuce

oh i got them,ive just been out. do you want a single or double clutch? ceramic or organic? The numbers i have are NAPA and can be crossed by most any truck shop becauase it does list an aplication. the fly wheel is the number that seems to be avaoiding me. I had a big stack of papers that an engineer at cummins faxed me. at one point i guarded it with my life, the second i turn my head it seems to be awol.
I now have an account with Cummins Quick Serve online so all i need to do is go down the road and get the Eng. Number of the neightbors 650 ford with 5.9 and 7 speed then run them and grab the number or if anyone has the cummins eng. number with a stick let me know

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks