• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cure for death wobble on stock m1028

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this tread, before starting a new one. Just got the death wobble too..
After driving over 2 very small, barely noticable bumps in the road, all h€ll broke loose, the whole truck went up and down, I was thinking my front axle was breaking off.
After stopping first i checked my pants, then the front end, nothing wrong or broken there.. turned around, same speed, nothing happened at the bumps.. turned around again, same speed over the bumps, again all h€ll broke loose.. Scary..
Is this all related to worn kingpin springs and bushes? And the inspection revealed a worn steering pin.
I drive a stock M1028 on stock tires.
Yes, usually worn bushings and springs. I'd start there. Pretty easy and inexpensive fix.

sarge62

I rebuilt both kingpins but that didn't seem to help. I then been put a single shim on top on the driver side. That helped a little. I put a second shim on top of the driver side. That helped even more. Another thing that had a huge effect is balancing beads in the tires. I used airsoft pellets that I got from Walmart. A third cup is about 3 ounces. That is probably all you'll need in stock tires. In my 37 inch tires I use 9 ounces. Extra will just find a neutral place to ride while driving.

True Knight

Definitely check the kingpin springs and bushings. If you have stock size tires it's probably just worn kingpin springs, especially with the age of these vehicles. It's also a good idea to check and repair any steering related parts while you are focused on the front end.

RobM36A2

Thank you all, today I m going to get parts..
Expensive here, what is $32 at your place, we can expect €100+, because of import and parts dealers wanting to make a lot of profit..

WARWAG

Replace your King Pin bushings and springs. This will 99% of the time be your problem. This would also be a great time to repack all your bearings. A new steering stabilizer should also be installed as the one on your rig is most likely shot. The steering stabilizer has nothing to do with "Death Wobble". The best thing you can do and one of the easiest ways to cure Death Wobble is to replace the Kingpin Bushing and Springs. Off Road Designs sells a kit for $25. That and some grease and about an hour or so of your time will have you running down the road smooth as silk (even over two little bumps). Why you are at it replace your shocks for even a better ride.

True Knight

Replace your King Pin bushings and springs. This will 99% of the time be your problem. This would also be a great time to repack all your bearings. A new steering stabilizer should also be installed as the one on your rig is most likely shot. The steering stabilizer has nothing to do with "Death Wobble". The best thing you can do and one of the easiest ways to cure Death Wobble is to replace the Kingpin Bushing and Springs. Off Road Designs sells a kit for $25. That and some grease and about an hour or so of your time will have you running down the road smooth as silk (even over two little bumps). Why you are at it replace your shocks for even a better ride.
⬆True story.

In my M1010 I experienced a front end issue. When it would hit multiple bumps or rr tracks just right, the front wheel would bounce violently up and down. I thought for sure it was the kingpin assembly. It turned out to be broken cords in the old BFGs. After swapping them for a set of 33" MTs I've never had an issue again.

RobM36A2

Found the source of the wobble. I swapped the wheels with the ones I got when I bought my M1028.
Wobble is gone. Only to replace the draglink, then my ride will be smooth again.
Not only I missed a piece of thread, the tire was warped, the rim is ok.

Picture is upside down, but you will get it.
IMG_1055[1].jpg

trc911

Had the dreaded death wobble too. Fixed it in an hour.

Ended up being a broken nylon bushing in one side, and worn kingpin springs on both sides. Replaced them both (IIRC $60) and it's super tight now. no wobble at 50 and no wobble after hitting bumps :)

just put a new steering stabilizer on tonight and sway bushings and she's done in my book!

I have had my truck for 10 months and encountered the dreaded death wobble for the first time two days ago. Holy ****! It has to be experienced to truly appreciate what it is really like. Thanks to all for the advice. My front right tire was 7 oz. off. I have now driven it through every bump I can find and no problems. Again, thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks