• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

curious about way to bob a deuce

badga the badger

im looking in to buying a m275 in about a year or 2 when i can get the $$$, but after reading stuff about bobbing deuces, a thought popped in my head.

would it be possible to replace the 5th wheel on a m275 with a m105 bed with the wheel wells in the bed filled in and have a bobbed deuce with all 3 axles?

KsM715

I dont see why not. Just make sure the bed sits high enough to clear the axle articulation.

If you do get an M275 dont mention cutting it up or your going to hear about it.

KsM715

I know a 105 bed is a tad over 9ft when you measure outsite the bedrails front to rear, I dont know how much frame rail you would have behind the cab on a M275.
Maybe a current M275 owner will chime in and let you know.

gunboy1656

One the 275 is not a lot shorter then the standard truck, and second the 275's are a bit harder to find hence will cost more up front then the standard M35.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a M275 and am considering doing the same thing. I would use a flatbed since a M105 bed has the fenders on it for a single axle.

Set the bed high enough up to keep the 5th wheel on...it would only be a few inches higher than a stock bed on a deuce. I plan to make mine detachable so I can remove it with my tractor loader.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One sold on ebay with a cargo bed and there is one that shows up at OH shows from time to time. Adding a bed on top of the 5th wheel is going to create a funny looking truck. I tried it on mine and it was so high it just looked too stupid. M275A2 sales are sketchy at best. They will bring next to nothing if no one is shopping for one when you want to sell one.

gunboy1656

One sold on ebay with a cargo bed and there is one that shows up at OH shows from time to time. Adding a bed on top of the 5th wheel is going to create a funny looking truck. I tried it on mine and it was so high it just looked too stupid. M275A2 sales are sketchy at best. They will bring next to nothing if no one is shopping for one when you want to sell one.

Think this is the one your talking about. I saw this at Findlay last summer, if memory serves he wanted 6500.

Attachments

tm america

I don't know if the round quarter fenders make it look goofy or if it's the fact that the rear tires stick out like 6 inches past the bed sides..but something is a miss:shock: ... The crooked exhaust doesn't help either..Looks like a m105 bed with the wheel wells filled in..Maybe with the hubs flipped and singles it would look better.i also wonder how bad the tires would hit the bed at full flex with it sitting that low

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. It looks like you wouldn't have much travel before the rubber bits were meeting the metal bits!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The one thing to think about on shortened 3 axle, with the tandems up close to the steering axle, they will tend to PUSH the truck straight in turns, more so on wet roads, tighter the turn, more push, also the more load in the bed , the more push,

one more thing, with a short 3 axle, you will get a lot of driver tire drag on on turn, again , the tighter the turn, the more sideway drag

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That one at Findlay has a raised bed on it. One I saw was nicely done, at first glance it looked like a M35.

KsM715

I don't know if the round quarter fenders make it look goofy or if it's the fact that the rear tires stick out like 6 inches past the bed sides..but something is a miss:shock: ... The crooked exhaust doesn't help either..Looks like a m105 bed with the wheel wells filled in..Maybe with the hubs flipped and singles it would look better.i also wonder how bad the tires would hit the bed at full flex with it sitting that low
After looking at it, it is a 105 bed with the fenderwells removed/filled in. And yes the stock dual set up is wider than a 105 bed.