• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Curious what was mounted to the left fender.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am just curious what was mounted to the left fender on my 93 M998, obviously something was also mounted to the top of the fender.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen an antenna mount with that pattern, but it SEEMS obvious that is what was there with the radio or amplifier on top of the fender.
The last duty this M998 saw was with a group of reserve helicopter pilots serving under an active CO in San Antonio, maybe it was an air band radio..
This group would load their machines on C5As and respond all over the globe mostly following natural disasters, pretty cool duty if you ask me!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it could be an antenna tower ontop of the fender. They sometimes have a reinforcement plate for the fender underneath the tower. They can be towers on either side or both.

That does not explain the holes on the side and does not look like the right pattern for a fording exhaust reinforcement inside fender bracket. Also looks like a cable hole.

Might also be the qbem ab1386u set up?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harris VHF radio set.

They usually mounted to either the transmission tunnel or the rear fender top. and the antenna was side mounted because it was super long (think old whip antenna length) and had to be tied down when not in use. It did not use the standard SINCGARS antenna.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harris VHF radio set.

They usually mounted to either the transmission tunnel or the rear fender top. and the antenna was side mounted because it was super long (think old whip antenna length) and had to be tied down when not in use. It did not use the standard SINCGARS antenna.
Got any pictures?
The side is going to be chopped out as soon as I can find a set of dual condensers, but I am curious what the antenna looked like.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I have a fording exhaust, I took some liberties mounting my at-1011 antenna set up on the other side using the heavy steel mount .

20180209_122255.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got any pictures?
The side is going to be chopped out as soon as I can find a set of dual condensers, but I am curious what the antenna looked like.
No, last time I was close to one was a long time ago (let's not talk how long ago).

the one we had that supposedly worked had a larger antenna base than juan's photos. But the bolt pattern on top of the fender looks to be the exact pattern of the base and amp. I know there was a whole issue with them when we were fielded M1165s to replace the HMMWV that it was mounted on. I don't remember the solution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks