• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Current draw M1009 dead short ??

UncleSam

What is the acceptable (if any) current draw on a M1009?

I've checked my and I'm getting as 5.1 mA reading.

Alternator # 2 has been rebuilt and Alt#1 has been replaced with a know good alternator.

I wasn't sure if the GP Module or some other module in the M1009 would cause that draw or not..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would disconnect the battery wire on the rear of each alt, one at a time, and see it that draw disappears. Do not short to ground!

Also, the capacitor/suppressor between the buss bars(passenger side firewall) could be bad. (It's unneeded).

That load sounds too small to be the under dash light(you know you have an interior light, right?)

UncleSam

I'll check these things thanks...yes I know I have a interior light but it only lights up with the turn of my headlight and dash lights dimmer switch, it doesn't come on with opening the doors..

It doesn't draw enough to cause dead battery...yet[thumbzup]

I would disconnect the battery wire on the rear of each alt, one at a time, and see it that draw disappears. Do not short to ground!

Also, the capacitor/suppressor between the buss bars(passenger side firewall) could be bad. (It's unneeded).

That load sounds too small to be the under dash light(you know you have an interior light, right?)

UncleSam

I removed the battery wires from each alternator, with no change to the draw.

Then I tried removing each fuse, one at a time, from the fuse box still no change, I still have a 5.1 draw,

I'll try the capacitor/suppressor between the buss bars, and see if that helps.

Any other places I could check? :confused: :confused:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can pull the 12v feed wire off the stud above the GP relay and eliminate all the 12v circuits.

M1008driver

Just an idea from one of my recent experiences. I would suspect this thing if you have one. Mine had a short on my M1008.

I know you have a different vehicle, but it had a electrical draw. You can disconnect the +- cables at the junction bar to see if that is the source.

TM9-2320-289-34P
FIGURE 46. RADIO FEED HARNESS (M1009).

Attachments

Last edited:

UncleSam

Thanks I'll check that out also. Great Fall, MT? That a city that I'd love to move to. Any jobs there, in the optical field? I've been making glasses now for over 40 years..

Just an idea from one of my recent experiences. I would suspect this thing if you have one. Mine had a short on my M1008.

I know you have a different vehicle, but it had a electrical draw. You can disconnect the +- cables at the junction bar to see if that is the source.

TM9-2320-289-34P
FIGURE 46. RADIO FEED HARNESS (M1009).

topgun217

Doghead, I'm a bit flustered. "the capacitor/suppressor " could you post a pic? For some reason my front batt. is drawing as well and this is the 2nd. batt. I've put in. Never had a problem until yesterday after the 2'nd batt. replacement.

I've got yet another batt. comming Tuesday. But for now the starter is engaging but not enough to turn the motor over. I checked the grounds and fuses. I hope this is just a bad batt. and not the starter. Currently the batt. is on charger. Somewhere there is a small draw but darned if I can find it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doghead, I'm a bit flustered. "the capacitor/suppressor " could you post a pic? For some reason my front batt. is drawing as well and this is the 2nd. batt. I've put in. Never had a problem until yesterday after the 2'nd batt. replacement.

I've got yet another batt. comming Tuesday. But for now the starter is engaging but not enough to turn the motor over. I checked the grounds and fuses. I hope this is just a bad batt. and not the starter. Currently the batt. is on charger. Somewhere there is a small draw but darned if I can find it.

Item # 5, circled in red.

Attachments

UncleSam

I disconnected and checked the the capacitor/suppressor and no change,

I also disconnected the radio feed harness and still no change, still have a 5.8 mA draw.

I disconnected the starter wire and all other hot wires one at a time from the buss bar and still no change in the meter.

Could the battery be bad and drawing on itself?aua

M1008driver

Montana Employment Opportunties - mt.gov - Montana's Official State Website

This place is not affected as much as other parts of the country by the housing crash. You might find a job. I know nothing about your field or work.

I hope you find what is killing your batteries soon. Got to be frustrating. Maybe pull a fuse one at a time and do a check.

EDIT-
hen I tried removing each fuse, one at a time, from the fuse box still no change, I still have a 5.1 draw,
Duh, I am so dumb sometimes. I should read more carefully. You might try posting a few pics of your batteries and other things connected under your hood. Maybe it is something simple like a cable or wire that is in the wrong place. Just an idea. I hope you find it soon.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks