• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Current M35A2 value?

22/45

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New guy here, just starting to get serious enough about purchasing one of these trucks after months of TM study and sourcing who has what parts.

I'm noticing however that lots of people are asking 5 ton prices for their M35A2s. I figure if many people are asking $10k-15k for an unrestored or barely cared for M35A2, I may as well spend that or a little more for something with power steering, better brakes, better engines, etc.

On the other side of the coin, I see lots of trucks in the $6k ish range with no known problems. Is the market all over the place for a reason or are a lot of people dreaming? What seems to be a "fair" price for a "fair" truck these days?

Gypsyman

From what I've seen a LOT depends on the area and the availability in that area. You have to decide exactly what you want and what it's worth to you.

Personally, I was looking for a 100% rust and damage free truck with the drop side bed and split brakes so I was limited to the AF Deuces. I was lucky enough to stumble upon the exact truck that I was after for $10k delivered to my door. That was 2 years ago and I'm glad that I didn't pass on it. I still haven't seen an equivalent truck to what I purchased anywhere on the west coast. I've since put another $16k+ in parts and accessories for it on the shelf, so there's that to consider also. =)

The 5 tons were out of the running for me as the weight rating would have required me to get a CDL again and the licensing/insurance cost was considerably higher. For occasional personal use it wasn't worth the jump up.

22/45

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I've seen a LOT depends on the area and the availability in that area. You have to decide exactly what you want and what it's worth to you.

Personally, I was looking for a 100% rust and damage free truck with the drop side bed and split brakes so I was limited to the AF Deuces. I was lucky enough to stumble upon the exact truck that I was after for $10k delivered to my door. That was 2 years ago and I'm glad that I didn't pass on it. I still haven't seen an equivalent truck to what I purchased anywhere on the west coast. I've since put another $15k in parts and accessories for it on the shelf, so there's that to consider also. =)

The 5 tons were out of the running for me as the weight rating would have required me to get a CDL again and the licensing/insurance cost was considerably higher. For occasional personal use it wasn't worth the jump up.

Understood on location, West/Southwest/Southeast seem to bring the big bucks. Some guys near me want big bucks too however. I know a winch adds a few grand usually, but was real confused about the other trucks with no real differences being thousands and thousands apart in price and maybe only a few hours away from each other.

I have my Class B CDL so no concerns about weight, not too concerned about fuel economy issues or insurance prices. I guess I'm mostly confused as to why the price variation is so great in the same parts of the country, and also why some guys price a truck that may have just had PMs done and maybe a wheel cylinder replacement are asking 5 ton prices. I want to be sure I'm not missing something obvious here. :ROFLMAO:

Gypsyman

I completely forgot about the winch. That was on my must have list and luckily mine did come with it. Honestly, I think a lot of people just throw an insane price on a truck hoping to snag a fish so to say.

There's a Deuce and an M105 trailer not far from me listed for $36,000. Other than a fresh paint job I see no difference between this truck and my truck/trailer combo which cost me roughly $10,500 for the pair. Granted the seller gives very little information and the pictures are fairly poor quality. It is a 1970 (single circuit brakes) with a standard fixed side bed.

On the other hand, in the sellers defense, I can easily see getting $30k+ wrapped up in a properly done truck. Especially if you are paying someone else to do the work.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm one of the guys with a deuce who wants 5ton prices for it.

Not rusted, dual circuit brakes, multifuel engine, 395's on aluminum MRAP rims. $17k.

Your $10k deuce turned into $26k pretty fast....

My preference is the 939series truck with airbrakes and NH250, but the good deuces are getting scarce.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I want to say I gave $3500 for mine back in 2007. But over the years I'd put a great deal into it. And right now it's been repainted. And I'm about to put a lot more into it. (Power steering, major brake upgrade) Looks like "junkers" are bringing $4500 and up in my area. I'm not saying it'll be worth $20K when I get done with it. But I can say there's no way I'd take less than close to that when I get done, just because of the money in it overall. (And the fact that it's a rust free after sandblasting/painting)

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Personally, I was looking for a 100% rust and damage free truck with the drop side bed and split brakes so I was limited to the AF Deuces. I was lucky enough to stumble upon the exact truck that I was after for $10k delivered to my door. That was 2 years ago and I'm glad that I didn't pass on it. I still haven't seen an equivalent truck to what I purchased anywhere on the west coast. I've since put another $16k+ in parts and accessories for it on the shelf, so there's that to consider also. =)

Don't need a CDL in WA for 5 ton if it's for personal use. If you're hauling stuff for hire, that's a different story.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to share my opinion on prices. Granted, this is only my opinion.

The price of EVERYthing has gotten crazy within the past few years. A grease burger and fries at the drive thru costs around $10 where I live. Prices on new vehicles have doubled or tripled in a very short time. I think that majority of people simply don't know how much to ask.

My question is, do Deuces really sell for these inflated prices, or is that simply the asking price? A seller can ask any price they want. It still depends on what the buyer is willing to pay. I'm sure that wise sellers start with a higher asking price to leave some room for negotiating. Not trying to state the obvious, just offering a possible reason for the roller coaster.

In today's economy, I would personally place a solid, unrestored Deuce without extras at around 8-12K. Add more for desirable upgrades such as hard top, winch, dropside bed, etc. How much more, depends on what you're willing to pay. A dual circuit brake system would be a huge plus, to me.

Good luck with your search!

Gypsyman

Don't need a CDL in WA for 5 ton if it's for personal use. If you're hauling stuff for hire, that's a different story.
That's not my personal experience. I had a 4700LP that had a GVWR of 23,000 that I poured a ton of money into just to find out that all I could legally use it for was to pull my 5th wheel. Even putting my car trailer behind it put me over the 26,000 limit for GVWR and GCWR. I was stopped by the DOT not far from the house and got off easy. The officer let me take the truck and trailer home and told me not to get caught on the highway until I got my CDL again. Never should have let it go but that's a whole story unto itself.

I spent the next year going back and forth with WSDOT over this until I finally gave up and sold the 4700. Everything I could find (and was told directly by the DOT) states that over 26,000 GVWR or GCWR (truck and trailer ratings combined) put me in CDL territory for Washington with no exemption for personal use. If someone has found a statute or way around that please point me to that information. I would love to have that in my arsenal for the next argument with them.

Had I been able to find a way around it I may have gone with a 5 Ton myself.

For reference.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, but not surprised.

In AZ, anything over 25 years old is eligible for licensing as a "Historic Vehicle".

AZ title 28 (motor vehicle code) states as such, so it is non-commercial and not subject to DOT rules on lighting, logs, weight, braking systems, eTc.

Hauling stuff is OK if not for hire/personal profit.

I carry a copy of the statute in the case of being stopped, but have never been stopped by DOT cops. Only by a county Sheriff, and he was bewildered by the paperwork...

And I carry $300K in insurance, one never knows what might happen.

So far the old M54A1 has trekked over 26,000 mi. in Cal, Nev, NM, and AZ without hassles. I just blow the scales, same way the active military would. Nary a second glance, apparently.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as pricing goes, a buddy of mine was given the ULTIMATUM by his SO "You HAVE to sell the truck!" (1969 M35A2 in fair condition). She wasn't an avid fan of MVs and had no idea of values.

He said ok and promptly put it up on marketplace for $52,000. After six months of no bites, he told his wife "I guess no one wants it" 🤷‍♂️ and that was the end of that.... 😅😁😄

Gypsyman

Wow, but not surprised.

In AZ, anything over 25 years old is eligible for licensing as a "Historic Vehicle".

AZ title 28 (motor vehicle code) states as such, so it is non-commercial and not subject to DOT rules on lighting, logs, weight, braking systems, eTc.

Hauling stuff is OK if not for hire/personal profit.

I carry a copy of the statute in the case of being stopped, but have never been stopped by DOT cops. Only by a county Sheriff, and he was bewildered by the paperwork...

And I carry $300K in insurance, one never knows what might happen.

So far the old M54A1 has trekked over 26,000 mi. in Cal, Nev, NM, and AZ without hassles. I just blow the scales, same way the active military would. Nary a second glance, apparently.
I checked on historic plates with the DOL here in Spokane WA. I was told that it would get me around the weight rating issue but that I couldn't legally haul anything in the bed (not even so much as a personal dump run) and no towing trailers. I can't wait to jump the line into Idaho so that I can be done with Washington State. I've been here my whole life but it sure doesn't feel like home anymore.

davidb56

I completely forgot about the winch. That was on my must have list and luckily mine did come with it. Honestly, I think a lot of people just throw an insane price on a truck hoping to snag a fish so to say.

There's a Deuce and an M105 trailer not far from me listed for $36,000. Other than a fresh paint job I see no difference between this truck and my truck/trailer combo which cost me roughly $10,500 for the pair. Granted the seller gives very little information and the pictures are fairly poor quality. It is a 1970 (single circuit brakes) with a standard fixed side bed.

On the other hand, in the sellers defense, I can easily see getting $30k+ wrapped up in a properly done truck. Especially if you are paying someone else to do the work.
I seen that 36K deuce on CL. Im sure people are standing in line to pay 20K over market value. at some point, regardless of all the upgrades, and especially maintenance costs, you still will only get market value at 10-15K for a excellent condition deuce.

davidb56

I checked on historic plates with the DOL here in Spokane WA. I was told that it would get me around the weight rating issue but that I couldn't legally haul anything in the bed (not even so much as a personal dump run) and no towing trailers. I can't wait to jump the line into Idaho so that I can be done with Washington State. I've been here my whole life but it sure doesn't feel like home anymore.
Im jumped from CA. to N. Idaho. the only time I've ever been pulled over was because I passed a ST at triple digits on my MC about 10 years ago. He let me go with a warning.

Darylfraser

Bought mine last year for $2600 with trailer. Needed work as they all do. The seller started at $8000 but had no takers in the area. I started considering the purchase when it was advertised at $4500. At $2600 (just before X-mas mind you) I convinced myself that I would be a fool not to buy a running winch truck at that price. $8000 was a fair price for the condition that my truck is in but the seller could not get it in our area. I got a good deal but I probably already have twice that back into it and I’m not done yet. Some folks are looking to get back what they have put into something and won’t sell it for less, I respect that. Some are trucks that need work. Sometimes it’s location. If you are looking for a truck that needs no work, all the PMs are done, new tires, basically turn key, be prepared to pay. There is a lot of blood, sweat and tears put into these vehicles as it is a labor of love. But that labor does have a price!

HDN

I check Facebook Marketplace for prices every now and then and don't think the truck prices have actually gone up with inflation. It kinda sucks because right now I need another 1-ton van and my wife won't drive the kids around in a 5-ton wrecker :( Mind you the wreckers I've seen for sale are a lot less expensive than the van I want!!!

I still see deuces going from anywhere from $4000 to $8000 depending on their condition. 5-tons seem to be consistently more expensive, usually $8000 to $12000, and they're mostly M939 trucks I see. When I got my truck a few years ago the deuces cost about the same as the 5-tons that were available at the time.

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought mine last year for $2600 with trailer. Needed work as they all do. The seller started at $8000 but had no takers in the area. I started considering the purchase when it was advertised at $4500. At $2600 (just before X-mas mind you) I convinced myself that I would be a fool not to buy a running winch truck at that price. $8000 was a fair price for the condition that my truck is in but the seller could not get it in our area. I got a good deal but I probably already have twice that back into it and I’m not done yet. Some folks are looking to get back what they have put into something and won’t sell it for less, I respect that. Some are trucks that need work. Sometimes it’s location. If you are looking for a truck that needs no work, all the PMs are done, new tires, basically turn key, be prepared to pay. There is a lot of blood, sweat and tears put into these vehicles as it is a labor of love. But that labor does have a price!
Location! Mine was on the island I live on. A massive hurdle for a possible buyer off island especially with the 10 day removal window. Arrange a barge, make transportation arrangements. A huge undertaking.

Thus my killer deal. I’m grateful that my tools have been breeding for the last couple of years. I’m encouraging further tool insemination. 😜

Air tools and torque multipliers.

Cheers,

🥄

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not my personal experience. I had a 4700LP that had a GVWR of 23,000 that I poured a ton of money into just to find out that all I could legally use it for was to pull my 5th wheel. Even putting my car trailer behind it put me over the 26,000 limit for GVWR and GCWR. I was stopped by the DOT not far from the house and got off easy. The officer let me take the truck and trailer home and told me not to get caught on the highway until I got my CDL again. Never should have let it go but that's a whole story unto itself.

I spent the next year going back and forth with WSDOT over this until I finally gave up and sold the 4700. Everything I could find (and was told directly by the DOT) states that over 26,000 GVWR or GCWR (truck and trailer ratings combined) put me in CDL territory for Washington with no exemption for personal use. If someone has found a statute or way around that please point me to that information. I would love to have that in my arsenal for the next argument with them.

Had I been able to find a way around it I may have gone with a 5 Ton myself.

For reference.

DOL is wrong. The law, being RCW, is correct. DOL doesn't make or enforce law.

You need a CDL to drive a commercial vehicle.

A 5 ton, by definition, is not a commercial vehicle unless used in commerce.

Other states have different laws. TX for example would require a minimum class B non-CDL, for a 5 ton... as they have Class A, B, and C licenses in both CDL and non-CDL. However, due to the interstate compact, your class of license and operating privileges are valid in any state. I could drive a 5 ton in TX, with a WA license, without a Class B license.

RCW 46.04.140
Commercial vehicle.
"Commercial vehicle" means any vehicle the principal use of which is the transportation of commodities, merchandise, produce, freight, animals, or passengers for hire.
RCW 46.25.010
Definitions (as amended by 2019 c 44)

(..)

(6) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:
(a) Has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of any towed unit or units with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds ((or more))), whichever is greater; or
(b) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater; or
(c) Is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver; or
(d) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section; or
(e) Is a school bus regardless of weight or size.

RCW 46.25.050
Commercial driver's license required—Exceptions, restrictions, reciprocity.
(1) Drivers of commercial motor vehicles must obtain a commercial driver's license as required under this chapter. Except when driving under a commercial learner's permit and a valid driver's license and accompanied by the holder of a commercial driver's license valid for the vehicle being driven, no person may drive a commercial motor vehicle unless the person holds and is in immediate possession of a commercial driver's license and applicable endorsements valid for the vehicle they are driving. However, this requirement does not apply to any person:

So, this is the law that says you need a CDL to drive a commercial vehicle. Note how they define a commercial vehicle... 'used in commerce'... Not used in commerce = not a commercial vehicle = don't need a CDL...

Further, there are exemptions for some use cases, like farm use and collector vehicles....

(a) Who is the operator of a farm vehicle, and the vehicle is:
(i) Controlled and operated by a farmer;
(ii) Used to transport either agricultural products, which in this section include Christmas trees and wood products harvested from private tree farms and transported by vehicles weighing no more than forty thousand pounds licensed gross vehicle weight, farm machinery, farm supplies, animal manure, animal manure compost, or any combination of those materials to or from a farm;
(iii) Not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and
(iv) Used within one hundred fifty miles of the person's farm; or

(..)
(c) Who is operating a recreational vehicle for noncommercial purposes. As used in this section, "recreational vehicle" includes a vehicle towing a horse trailer for a noncommercial purpose; or

(..)
(e) Who is a collector truck operator using the vehicle in accordance with RCW 46.25.010.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks