• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Current on Alternator Not Adjusting

92'M998

Happy Labor Day! Question of the hour:

We checked the alternator (60a) with the engine running and it was between 36-43v. We tried to adjust the screw on it to read 28v, etc. Gauge on the dash was in high red. With moving the screw clockwise or counter clockwise, no change. Could this be a regulator issue?
Any help/input is appreciated. Thanks. J.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
YEA !! SHUT it OFF or it going to be a BIGGER problem with control box PCB / ESSS. Also, not a current adjustment. It's Voltage.

Might want to look back at other threads on the 60 Amp system,

When you get it all figured out, IMO might want to leave the output lead loose, then dial it in at that point. Shut down, reconnect, start and set after one figures it out.

Might tell us what you have been doing up to this point?

My crystal ball is a bit smoked up, do to the fires here. Yes, it could be ???, CAMO

papakb

Your regulator is fried, either look online or go to the manufacturer, Southern Automotive.

http://www.southernautomotive.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/101

PN : 2920-01-180-8666, Voltage Regulator

Make sure this hasn't fried your batteries too and make sure to disconnect them when R & R the alternator. A bad regulator causing the alternator to put out too high a voltage can cook the batteries if it's been run for too long. Don't ask me how I know that please!

92'M998

Your regulator is fried, either look online or go to the manufacturer, Southern Automotive.

Make sure this hasn't fried your batteries too and make sure to disconnect them when R & R the alternator. A bad regulator causing the alternator to put out too high a voltage can cook the batteries if it's been run for too long. Don't ask me how I know that please!
Yes sir, I have learned as you can see by previous posts. New PCB box to get it started so we could check alt/reg. I have ordered the new reg 2920-01-180-8666 f. Question: Do i have to adjust, once the new one is installed? Thanks for all. J.

papakb

Yes, you always want to adjust the regulator after replacing it since theres no quaranty it was adjusted to match your alternator at the factory. It'll be in the ball park but needs to be tweaked into spec after installation.. Theoretically the short white line on the voltmeter is the 28 volt mark but with the dubious quality of military gauges I'd never trust it. You can connect your meter to the body of the alternator and the output stud to make the adjustment but if your uncomfortable with that you can connect the meter to terminals X and V on the STE/ICE connector next to the shifter. These terminals connect directly to the battery + and - connections. Adjust it for 27.6 - 28.0 volts.

STE-ICE Connections.jpg

92'M998

Yes, you always want to adjust the regulator after replacing it since theres no quaranty it was adjusted to match your alternator at the factory. It'll be in the ball park but needs to be tweaked into spec after installation.. Theoretically the short white line on the voltmeter is the 28 volt mark but with the dubious quality of military gauges I'd never trust it. You can connect your meter to the body of the alternator and the output stud to make the adjustment but if your uncomfortable with that you can connect the meter to terminals X and V on the STE/ICE connector next to the shifter. These terminals connect directly to the battery + and - connections. Adjust it for 27.6 - 28.0 volts.

View attachment 811458
Great reference for a novice. So if I do check using the STE/ICE connector, I still need a helper to adjust the screw on the regulator. Correct? Thanks for helping me out. J

papakb

You can do this by yourself if your meter leads are long enough to prop the meter up in the window so you can see it when your adjusting the potentiometer.

92'M998

YEA !! SHUT it OFF or it going to be a BIGGER problem with control box PCB / ESSS. Also, not a current adjustment. It's Voltage.

Might want to look back at other threads on the 60 Amp system,

When you get it all figured out, IMO might want to leave the output lead loose, then dial it in at that point. Shut down, reconnect, start and set after one figures it out.

Might tell us what you have been doing up to this point?

My crystal ball is a bit smoked up, do to the fires here. Yes, it could be ???, CAMO
Hi - Thanks for the quick response. What will leaving the output lead loose do (is that the neg one?). J.