• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Curt receiver hitch for the Deuce, 18,000lb/1,800lb

miltruckman

I found a new heavy duty Curt receiver hitch that should fit the deuce perfectly. I like the fact that it has some drop height so that I won't need a drop hitch adapter as tall as without it.

It is Curt part # 15605 and has a gross towing weight rating of 18,000lb, and a tongue weight rating of 1,800lb.

I just ordered one for $204 (w/free shipping) and I'll post photos when I get it installed.

Bill

Attachments

puppy

Subscribed!

Post up ASAP. I have been looking at ACME hitches here locally and was wanting to try out 2 or 3 to see which one fit the best. This may be a better option.

rlwm211

I bought a class 4 hitch at a junkyard in VG condition for 45$.

The spacing of the mounting flange was too wide for my deuce so I used 3x3 1/4 web angle as adapters and bolted the angles to the hitch frame and the whole assembly to the frame of the deuce with 1/2" grade 8 bolts torqued to specs.

The receiver is about 4" lower than the frame and with a 6" drop it puts the trailer ball at 22" to the base of the ball. So far it has been solid and I have had no issues. I check the bolts occasionally and they have not loosened up.

I paid about 10$ for the angle and have a good sized piece left over in my stock. I paid 12$ for the grade 8 hardware.

I am not against any particulr hitch, all I am pointing out is that you can install a hitch on a deuce that is strong and reliable for a decent price if need be.

Just my two cents

RL

miltruckman

This one is the correct width for the deuce frame. I called Curt Mfg. and told them what I wanted.

This hitch is designed for the 34 inch channel frame width the same as an M35. I should only have to drill the holes and bolt it on. I hope.

I'll post with how it works out.

Bill

Tackettr

I started to buy that very one but took a trip to the local salvage and got lucky! I just took a tape measure and looked for the most HD looking one that was 34" wide and gave the most drop. I still needed a 9" drop to get my trailer level. I would like to hear more on this one also. I have another deuce to rig.

Lex_Ordo

I fabricated one too.
Mine is a Buyers, which I bought only because all my other hitch assemblies were Buyers. ( I wanted to stay with the same brand name) I actually had mine cut, and made new sideplates that were welded on and gave me the appropriate drop that I required to tow a Military 1/4 Ton trailer. The side plates are made up from 3/16" diamond plate.

The hitch itself was the right length, but the bolt on surface was on the inside of it, which made it very difficult to access. Then there was the drop issue. Now, the hitch is more narrow and the bolt on surface is exposed to the outside so there is no hinderance to access the bolts, and of course the drop is the right height now too.
It has a slight curve towards the rear which helps move the recevier outwards away from the truck.
Buyers Class 4 Hitch Multifit Receiver, Model# 1801005 | Front Mount | Northern Tool + Equipment

I'll post up some pics this afternoon.

miltruckman

Yep, I'm the one.

I have one M109A3 left from that last batch of trucks I got at the Grayling, MI auction. I had kept the nicest one to convert into a camper. I'm Now considering selling it as I have way too many projects already.

The hitch is going on my "Bobb truck" from the first batch I bought in Indianapolis, IN.

Bill

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Bill is the crazy guy who can't buy just one truck at a time (or even two or three). I believe he thinks you have to purchase enough trucks to make a convoy. (Still have the Indy pics to prove my theory.)

:)

steve

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who don't know, their hitches are 100% made in USA. Give them some business this holiday season, I will!

miltruckman

Yes, I can't bid on just one. It is a weakness I have:oops:.

I sold all of the trucks for less than $3,850 each. but I still have to settle on a price for the remaining truck. It will be substantially higher.

I currently have it insured and plated, so I might as well get some use out of it first.

Bill

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks very similar to the Class III hitch I put on my jeep. I've pushed it hard and its not given me any problems yet. The non-drilling approach helped big time as I only had 30 minutes over Thanksgiving to install it before hitting the road. Looks like a solid deal.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is Curt part # 15605 and has a gross towing weight rating of 18,000lb, and a tongue weight rating of 1,800lb.

I just ordered one for $204 (w/free shipping) and I'll post photos when I get it installed.

Bill

Bill,

I like the hitch but it is 2.5inch and not 2.0 for the tube. Obviously bigger is better but I don't want anyone getting any surprises.

Curt Custom Built Class V Trailer Hitch

• Powder coat finish resists rust and corrosion
  • WeatherTite construction prevents rusting from the inside out by sealing the hitch crosstube
  • All frame attachment
    • Trailer hitch simply bolts-on, no welding required
  • 2-1/2" square receiver opening
    • Ballmount, pin and clip are sold separately
  • All Curt trailer hitches have a limited lifetime warranty

steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks