• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custer SD sleeping in a shop van, cruising in a m35a3

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the photos from my trip to Custer SD this fall. Met up with brother Jim (hndrsonj) and uncle Gene (Maccus). Sister and kids came too. Boys and I slept in Gene's camper. 5 ton tractor with a 109 box on the back. slept great for 3 days. He has a good setup.

Thanks Gene!

Best part was on our sight seeing thru the Black Hills, someone wondered if we had a tow bar for a future recovery. Gene had it in the back of the perfectly restored M35a3. Note the crate. We helped transfer it to the other member's truck. People probably thought we were getting pinched! I have to admit, I was nervous when he pulled up along side us. Heck of a nice guy.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw several antelope, buffalo, mule deer, and even some elk on top of a ridge. The deuce was an awesome way to see them! The scenery was beautiful. The trip was something the kids and I will never forget.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another antelope. Unfortunately I lost the pics of the 5 ton tractor converted to a camper. Here are a few pics of it. Note the granite from Crazy Horse mixed in with the paint. Makes a heck of a non-skid surface. He stores his tent poles between the cab and box. They are used to support the awning. Last pic shows the custom bubble level covers.

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a wonderful way to enjoy what God has so kindly given! Great way to "use" the trucks and share an incredible experience with the family!
God bless,
Tony:)

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who would have thought there were cactus in Wyoming? Gene was calling us as we were supposed to be back to his place in Custer SD for supper. Meanwhile we were 80 miles away on some junkyard wild goose chase rolling logs over looking for scorpions. The boys cought a scorpion in Wyoming. It came back to wisconsin in a peanut butter jar. It did die as a result of laquer thinner poisoning 5 days later. More of the deuce tour.

We did find a complete M135 by someone's house near Newcastle WY, but he was not home. We also found four M215 GMC dumptrucks in a yard in Edgemont. Got some good parts including the only good muffler.

I picked up a boat trailer for $25 in edgemont.

I got a 1971 honda N600 car in Provo SD. It is front wheel drive 2 cylinder air cooled. According to what I read it can get up to 130 mpg if you keep it under 35mph. It will fit in the back of my pickup. Did not have room for it, so I have to go back.

Attachments

elevenbee

Beautiful pics. There is impressive beauty in this great nation of ours, and I hope to see the Black Hills region again soon. The pigtail bridges always stood out in my memory, though I don't expect you drove a 5 ton over any of them. :)

jatonka

I slept in an M109 at Maccus' place in Custer 2008, we did a cross country trip to the Pacific Ocean that summer. On our way home we went to The Little Bighorn, Mt Rushmore and Maccus' homestead, they set us up to do oil changes and lube jobs when we pulled in. Then we ate........and ate and ate. Next day Gene and Carol took us down into the Grasslands and we met the Buffalo herd. What a wonderful couple they are. John T

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, we just dropped some parts from Glen at Gene's place on friday. He had about a dozen deer feeding in his yard as we pulled in.:beer:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Yep, we just dropped some parts from Glen at Gene's place on friday. He had about a dozen deer feeding in his yard as we pulled in.:beer:
Yup...MACCUS looks and acts like an old hardcase...and he is, but he's also a good troop with a kind heart...unless ya make him mad...and I know just how to do that!!:shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks