• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom bumpers

Another Ahab

That looks good, and it looks like it was a lot of work. Did it take a while to fab it all up?
Not really. MRAP bumper from eBay - M939a2 frame winch extensions.

.View attachment 686158View attachment 686159

Those CAD drawings had me thinking that you had built it all from scratch (and I was going "wow").

I got the picture now.

It looks great.

Mos68x

That's what I was thinkin too Ahab, no "wow" factor now lol

for you guys with the MRAP bumpers, how thick are they?? I really don't want thin down my front bumper at all since it's useful for "bowling for trees" lol makes my chainsaw work a lot easier too lol

Mos68x

SLO? You have more than one? Any chance you can check to see how thick the main piece is? Think mine is 1/4", could be wrong but it looks like it's just a little thinner than the 5/16 thick chassis.

SLOrazorsedge

Mos, yes I have two in the crate when you could still buy them from GL auctions for $75. The shipping from Ohio was a killer though. I have a M936A1 and M923A1 that I will mount them on. I could get the measurements next week for you however Swamp Donkey has his mounted and would be a tad easier and faster?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I was thinkin too Ahab, no "wow" factor now lol

for you guys with the MRAP bumpers, how thick are they?? I really don't want thin down my front bumper at all since it's useful for "bowling for trees" lol makes my chainsaw work a lot easier too lol
The stock bumper is like tin foil compared to these. They are made like a triangle shape tube. The front is on a 45° angle. Top is 1/2", front is 3/8" and the back is 3/4". There are four 3/8" thick bulkheads welded inside for reinforcement.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have bumpers and winch mounting adapters like Swamp Donkey used. I also make 12" to 18" wide bumpers out of 1/2" thick channel. that replace the stock bumper They look awesome with large MRAP tow eye through the face of the bumper. I fave a few narrow 18k winches that will mount on top of the bumper. You can extend the stock bumper and skin the original bumper with a nice fairlead plate like below and give the truck a better appearance.

IMG_0507.jpg

86m1028

I have bumpers and winch mounting adapters like Swamp Donkey used. I also make 12" to 18" wide bumpers out of 1/2" thick channel. that replace the stock bumper They look awesome with large MRAP tow eye through the face of the bumper. I fave a few narrow 18k winches that will mount on top of the bumper. You can extend the stock bumper and skin the original bumper with a nice fairlead plate like below and give the truck a better appearance.

View attachment 691636
Hard Head
Thats a really good look.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Above is a quote from earlier in the thread to reference some parts I was looking for.

One of the things I have yet to do on the bumper was to mount a fairlead directly to it. With the winch so far back, pulling anything from a lower point than the bumper will obviously cause the cable to contact the front edge. This proves a little restictive given how high the bumper sits. I went to the local steel place a couple weeks ago to get some plate to make a fairlead mount. They put up their remnants for sale on Fridays for scrap price and I was able to find enough pieces of 1/2" material to make a suitable mount. I started making cuts that evening and planned to weld and drill it that next morning.

I ran through my usual Ebay searches that next morning before getting started and what do I find....Unobtainium! The factory winch mount that is predrilled to bolt onto my RG-33 bumper is staring me in the face. The only one I've ever seen in the wild. Just bolt it on and go!

Of course it was in California and I'm in Georgia. I had to give FedEx almost as much as I gave the seller being that it weighs about a little over 100#. Such is life...it was coming to Jawja.

Of note is that this mount is specific for my bumper, but not the winch. There was a short frame and long frame version of the Warn winches. The bracket and bumper are predrilled for the short frame but I have a long frame winch. The long frame winch has a longer fairlead too. The mount bolts directly to the bumper but I had to drill 4 new holes for the fairlead. The mag-drill made quick work of that. The bolt hole patterns are detailed in this post:

Winch Support NSN: 5340-01-566-9857

My needle in a field of haystacks...

View attachment 684243

View attachment 684244

View attachment 684245

View attachment 684246

View attachment 684247

View attachment 684248

View attachment 684250
IMG_0054.JPG

about a month ago GL auctioned off a bunch of these in one lot. I should have bought them.

The bolt pattern looks as if it would fit the warn 18 Industrial. I just got through drilling the 8 holes for the back/bottom of this winch in my new bumper project.

If the buyer of these items happens to read this post, please PM me if you have any for sale. Thanks.

Last edited: