• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom ground cam.

I was wondering, has anyone tried installing a new cam shaft in their multi fuel engine? Should be able to increase horse power and lower the exhaust gas temperature (if the valve timing were correct).
I would love to have another 30-40 hp but it seems that the engine would be flirting with disaster.
Please share your thoughts.

dmetalmiki

I don't believe it would be a worthwhile project. (as) set up properly the deuce is more than adequate for the job it was/is intended to do. I know I would not wish for my M45 fire truck to go any faster. (it is already the fastest all round in every respect) with no smoke, In our "fleet".

I'm not really interested in going faster. I live in an area where there are a lot of hills. It seems as though I am the reason that a lot of people are getting home from work late.

JasonS

The multi, turned up to LDS levels (very easy to do) is comparable to a non-aftercooled DT466. I believe that all of the the higher horsepower DT466 have aftercoolers and you are wasting your time not starting here.

R.M. Competition makes custom cams for under $200.00. I don't know if they will do something this far out in left field. It's worth a call to see what they are capable of.

It just blows my mind that a 7.8L turbo charged diesel only makes 134 hp. and has EGT so hi. From what I have read on this forum, even the slightest modification pushes the EGT up to dangerous levels. I have read that the government ordered turbos to be added to the natural aspirated engine to reduce the black smoke from the exhaust. I don't know if it's true or not because you can't believe everything you read. If the turbo was added without changing the valve timing (the cam) that would explain a lot.

JasonS

It just blows my mind that a 7.8L turbo charged diesel only makes 134 hp. and has EGT so hi. From what I have read on this forum, even the slightest modification pushes the EGT up to dangerous levels. I have read that the government ordered turbos to be added to the natural aspirated engine to reduce the black smoke from the exhaust. I don't know if it's true or not because you can't believe everything you read. If the turbo was added without changing the valve timing (the cam) that would explain a lot.
In stock, 134 hp, the EGT is quite low. You need to understand that the multi has 134 hp because the design intent was to replace a similar horsepower gas engine. While the multi is not a "great" engine, it is also not as bad you seem to suggest. Turned up to LDS power levels, the multi is similar in output to other non aftercooled engines. If you want significantly more power, you may be happier with a different vehicle.

red

Could get a custom cam ground, probably 300-500 bucks. To get the most out of a better cam the turbo needs to be swapped out to a more efficient design and less restrictive with exhaust flow to reduce the EGT's.

Since your stated goal is another 30-40hp it can be safely done with the LDT. Install an EGT gauge before you do any upgrades, and a boost gauge is not a bad idea either. Bypass the FDC, turn up the fuel a little which will also increase your boost some. The C turbo's peak efficiency is in the low teens psi. It can make more boost than that, but heats up the air too much and raises EGT's fast. The slight adjustments will put you near 20-30hp over stock.

Not a big performance gain and of course doesn't affect your top speed. Will help you keep up with traffic on the hills.

Last edited:

red

I think I read somewhere that the multi-fuel was once installed in tractors and was hot rodded for tractor pulls.
White made the 465 as both a multifuel for the military and a diesel only for tractors. The turbo, pistons and head are different. Lower compression ratio on the diesel only model (18:1 is what I read).

Monkeyboyarmy

The Oliver 2050's (non-turbo) and the 2150's (turbo) used that engine. I have seen some unbelievable power come out of these. Of course it is hard to tell what all is stock.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Rustystud posted some i fo on how tbey boost power. He has spoken to one of the guys that runs a multi in his tractor, might want to wait for him to see this thread and reply tonight. If memory serves, it was the use of a different IP that helped the most.

rustystud

Your right Chris, it was the Stanadyne 627 or 629 injection pump along with a newer "3LM466" turbo. The cam used in the racing multifuel was ground by a company back east called "Vogel" engineering and cost around $300.00 . The guy I was talking to "Tracey Varn" had made up to around 500 hp before going and making his own engine block. Now he is making around 5,000 hp. He told me with a new injection pump and turbo and a modern grind cam you can easily make 350hp and run it safely. Of course you also need the "ARP" head studs and new 12 point rod bolts . This is the post you all should be reading. It has all the info about the LDS and LDT engines. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?56041-LDS-VS-LDT-and-the-real-differences/page47

Last edited:
I contacted R.M. Competition and they can't make the LDT465 cam but they can regrind an existing one with a new profile. I personally think this is worth some consideration. I'm going to do some research on the cam timing and talk to some experts. I am positive that new cam timing will lower EGT, increase HP and make it more reliable.

rustystud

I contacted R.M. Competition and they can't make the LDT465 cam but they can regrind an existing one with a new profile. I personally think this is worth some consideration. I'm going to do some research on the cam timing and talk to some experts. I am positive that new cam timing will lower EGT, increase HP and make it more reliable.
I totally agree ! Cam engineering has come light years in the last 2 decades alone. Considering our cams where designed in the 50's and the last ones in the 60's that is a lot of technology to catch up to. I have wondered if someone could come up with a new Hydraulic Head piston or cam to increase the stroke of the LDT pump to match that of the LDS pump. Has anyone ever figured out how much more the LDS puts out compared to the LDT ?