• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom MEP003 trailer from trash

dirtyfingernails

Excess parts from a M104 genset trailer. I got the tongue, axle, tires, and all the small parts. I bought some box steel to make a little trailer that would hold my extra Mep003. So far it's coming along well. I still need to bolt a tie-in plate between the tongue and frame. It measures 33.5 inches wide--perfect for the mep003 skid which is 32 inches. I lightened it up some by taking the helping spring packs off and removing a bunch of leaves from the main pack. I cut the ubolts and threaded them down to accept the smaller spring pack. I'm a novice metal worker, but I sure like it. My welds are getting better--I think. I got the brakes to work (parking) by cutting one turnbuckle in half and welding it to the brake handle. It is fully adjustable. Once I get the tie plate done, I'll load up a genset and see how it works.

Attachments

sgtrisk

I'll interested in watching the progress. I've an MEP003 also (but only one) that I would like to mount on a "real" generator trailer. Right now it's sitting in the back of one of my M105s. Maybe I'll just pop the box off one of the 105s or something!

dirtyfingernails

Installed the genset this afternoon. I think it turned out pretty good considering I can't weld. This will sure make moving it around a lot easier. I have the genset center of gravity just forward of the axle center. Like this the tongue weight is pretty light. Waste not, want not.

Attachments

Bill W

Very nice!
When I went to Harold Stancils in Ocala to pick up a winch for my 5 ton, he had this old compressor trailer for $100.00, worked for me! ( I added the jack )

Attachments

dirtyfingernails

Bill,
I'd seen your trailer before and, quite frankly, that is where I got the idea for mine. Your's looks smaller--which I'd rather have. But, you work with what you got! I wish I had the ASK for mine. Does it make a big difference in noise?
Steve

Bill W

My first mep 003a did not have the a.s.k. so I can tell you from that one that it makes a HUGE difference in noise reduction

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks