• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cut Away Display M151A1

Jeeagle

Looking for any info on the Cutaway Display MUTTS. Need some help on finding the correct color scheme for the components. I am seeing several layers of color mismatched on some things. (Yellow/White Transmission I.E.) In the next few months will be restoring one.

Will have photos later on tonight.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never heard of a "cut away" MUTT. Did the military do this or are you doing this to do something "different"?

Jeeagle

Never heard of a "cut away" MUTT. Did the military do this or are you doing this to do something "different"?
I am told was used in the National Guard as a training deal. The cuts are well done and not sloppy. It is a Un-cut frame as well. Seems the Rear Diff (which is cut open) and the engine is frozen. Sure this was left in some kind of elements. I am going to be re doing it for a museum. Dash Data Plate has a Serial of # 2R 7470.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will get much better help at the G838 board. They are dedicated to MUTTs and there is a guy by the name of muttguru who probabley knows about them.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on the cut away stuff I've seen, they painted the cut lines yellow and red and white... is that what you're referring to?

Jeeagle

Based on the cut away stuff I've seen, they painted the cut lines yellow and red and white... is that what you're referring to?
I was going to do cut lines red, but I was initially referring to like, Engine Blue, Intake Green, Suspension white etc....

And this one has a motor on it that rotated via a belt the starter which should turn the engine. I assume there should be no pistons or rods in it. I would think putting some grease on the main caps, cam and other various normally lubricated items would help for displays movements?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm stretching my brain, but I want to say certain things were "color coded". IE Engine was Red, Transmission was yellow, Drivetrain was white...

The one I saw had pistons and rods, but it was an early HMMWV. Had to be at the Ordnance school, now located at Ft. Lee. I'm actually going there next week, I'll see if I can ask around and find it, if it exists, and grab some pictures. I'll check with the museum, but I'm not even sure they have much more than an office right now. My old contact retired when it left Aberdeen AFAIK.

Correction, the Transportation Museum on Ft. Eustis has some cut-aways still on display.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I remember hearing about a cut out "jeep" (not sir what type) at the transportation musuem.

Bikeman, when you go to Fort Lee, could you take some pictures of the vehicles awaiting display? I have heard they are near a railway platform.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I remember hearing about a cut out "jeep" (not sir what type) at the transportation musuem.

Bikeman, when you go to Fort Lee, could you take some pictures of the vehicles awaiting display? I have heard they are near a railway platform.
No issue at Lee but won't make it to Eustis this trip.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So, I know where they are, but I couldn't get access. They are being stored under 4 large tents (metal framed), in a secure yard. I am aware of the plans for the future but it's not set in stone, we'll have to see what actually happens.

nattieleather

I'm surprised that you didn't cut the intake manifold to show how the exhaust manifold is mounted under it. Otherwise it looks great and I hope to see it in person some day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks