• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cute little Ford cabover fuel truck

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this on one of the other sites we like frequenting with our credit cards. This is a 1974 Ford C-600 cabover, looks like a short wheelbase fuel truck. The OD green paint job hints at a former military career. Anyone know what these were used for initially? While short and cute looking, it can't haul the water that most fire trucks carry, I don't see it too useful as a airport fire truck in its previous life. Any guesses?

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dawg, Your avatar is WAY too gay.
Ha ha, no that is in response to all the folks like gimpy et al who purposely come up with the weirdest in avatars. Since my theme has been Firefly for the last several years, every avatar showing Cpt. Mal Reynolds from the show, this new avatar in the last scene from the episode Trash where he ends up having his clothes stolen off him by another character. You have to see the episode, it's funny. Anyways, it was Firefly-themed shock factor avatar day I guess. It won't be up for long.

Anyways, I don't think the truck was bobbed. It looks factory build, just kinda short for much usefulness as a water truck or fuel truck on the flight line. Thought it might be a custom purpose. I think armytruck63 might be onto something...

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel truck for a Zamboni?

Second guess: Fuel truck for short flights?

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if it carried de-icer solution.
Usually the OPS Departments have the De-ice trucks not Fire Deptartments. I have seen many small airfields and FOL's have very small trucks (most on 1 ton chassis's). Hard to say.