• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cutting down a drop side

Joeinderry

nyone here ever cut down a dropside to fit on a bobbed deuce? I just bobbed the truck next is the bed. I have a heavy duty plasma cutter is that the best tool to cut it with? If anyone has pictures of there cut down that would be a great help. Thanks for any advice or tips. Joe

Attachments

gungearz

Your better off with a slow moving cutting blade. If your good with the plasma with getting near perfect lines then by all means, use it. Its not really hard just very time consuming. You might have to cut off old hinges, clean them up and move them over. With a little ingenuity and a lot of time. You can get thru it just fine.

RangerDave

I used a 9" grinder with a cut off wheel to carve off 2' of deck on mine. We have the plasma cutter option to, but you will find that a nice strait ground out line is a lot easier to weld back together than having to straiten out and unscab the plasma blobs. The flatbed portion is corrugated so it will pose the problem of an incomplete cut after you slice the top layer off... I cut mine square and was literally able to mig it back together instantly... Someone took a picture of me doing it, it is just a matter of finding it and wondering if it has been digitized... Good luck.

RangerDave

OH, yes, save the hinge stuff. If you do it right, the only thing you will have to do is re-locate the sliding pin over to the new spot and make sure it lines back up with the headboard.... If not you will have to move the hinge over and re-weld it in place.... I have become a fan of cut off wheels. disposable yes, fairly inexpensive, but wear your PPE because they have a tendency to explode into abrasive shrapnel if things go sideways and pinch.... I wear the respirator anyway - no telling what is in that 40 YO paint anyway...

Joeinderry

OH, yes, save the hinge stuff. If you do it right, the only thing you will have to do is re-locate the sliding pin over to the new spot and make sure it lines back up with the headboard.... If not you will have to move the hinge over and re-weld it in place.... I have become a fan of cut off wheels. disposable yes, fairly inexpensive, but wear your PPE because they have a tendency to explode into abrasive shrapnel if things go sideways and pinch.... I wear the respirator anyway - no telling what is in that 40 YO paint anyway...
Thanks, looks like I'll be buying a 9" grinder today.

spicergear

I did one on my deuce crane truck. I used a Makita grinder with an .035" 4" disc to make all the cuts. Make sure of your measures and make sure to brace it well when welding back together.

The side will need to be braced and supported VERY well to keep them from moving when you weld them back. The whole process actually really sucks because it's a ton of work and everything is heavy.

sickmoparfreak

Clamp on a piece of angle iron as a guide, and use the plasma. I'd still keep the blades close by, as you really need some of it all.......nothing that cuts, fits in every place.....at least not for me! ha....

lmanzo

Hello I am new to ss and am loving this site. I was searching for bed options for my first bobbed duce project and was unsure of the way the drop side would look. After seeing these pictures I think i like it more than the trailer bed.

Makincold

Just cut down a non-dropside bed and it was amazingly fast and accurate with a sawzall and some Milwaukee "Torch" blades, cut an entire bed section out , 2 full cuts of the width of the bed, and only used 3 blades. Take your time, use angle iron as a guide and you will be surprised at the ease of the process

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks