• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cutting wmo gas or kerosene?

eagle1

Hello everyone, just trying to figure out the best way to thin wmo, ive read a lot of post and saw a few that said they had mixed results with gas due to the gas tending to stay toward the top of the mix. I have searched for hours about cutting wmo with kerosene and found no specific post about it. Personaly I feel like kerosene would be a good choice but having not used it to cut wmo, I am only speculating and hoping someone has tried it or maybe can comment on their feelings of using kerosene. I know from experience that kerosene is good to clean dirty, oily automotive parts. Thanks in advance for any replies and I also appologize if this has been mentioned before and I have overlooked it.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Gas or Diesel, the cheapest I can get. Have you priced Kerosene lately? It all depends on the ratios you are trying to use.As far as the 'mix' separating, I have not had that problem.Remember, the diesels use what fuel they can and return the rest to the tank. Just think of it as an automatic mixer!

Ford Mechanic

I use diesil also, you already running 1 non-tax fuel (wmo) are you going to pay the road tax on the kerosene also? That would make it as much as the gas at the least. Mine had a gas/wmo mix to start with and it seemed to have a little more power but I would just rather run diesil and remove any doubt of mixing it too hot for the engine.

camp9

Depends on the motor. Just experiment and see what works best, but it'll all work. I've had motors that don't mind gas at all, and others that don't. I've not experienced gas separating to the top. The only thing I've ever had separate so far was wvo/wmo mix.

mikew

Neither!

It's a little counter-intuitive, but gasoline doens't burn very well and kerosene is worse!

As we know, a diesel engine burns it's fuel by compressing the air/fuel mixture which causes it to heat up and then "autoignite".

The autoignition temperature of diesel is 410F, but gasoline has to get to 536F and kerosene 563F. The point is that it takes a lot more heat to autoignite those other fuels.

You've got two goals with thinning WMO, lower it's viscosity and make it easier to autoignite. With that in mind, you can't beat diesel for thinning.

I run 50% WMO / 50% diesel mix most of the time, sometimes in the summer I'll run 80% WMO / 20% diesel.

I have found that putting a splash of gasoline, I use about 1 gallon of gasoline to every 20 gallons of WMO (that's a 5% mix), helps to reduce smoking. Smoking is caused by unburned fuel, the gasoline helps propagate the flame inside the combustion chamber. Gasoline will also raise your exhaust gas temperature (EGT), so too much is not necessarily a good thing.

By the way, I've put more than 20k miles on my bobbed Deuce and most of those miles where fueled with WMO!

Attached is a chart that shows the autoignition temperature of various fuels.

Attachments

cliffyp

I've seen a lot on different oil burner forums about people running what they are calling W85 - 85%WMO 15%RUG. Lots of people saying this is what they run in 6.2's and other diesel engines. Supposedly this mix yields a product with similar characteristics to diesel in both its viscosity as well as how it combusts.

Tlauden

Sorry to bring up an older topic but I didn't want to start yet ANOTHER similar thread,

I have recently acquired about 80 gallons of straight gas. I don't know the full story behind the two barrels but they were given to my buddy who (like myself) is afraid to put it in our pickup trucks. The person who he got them from said the gas is fine and they were using these two drums to fill portable pumps during hurricane sandy. I know something has got to be wrong with this because who in there right mind would give away ~80 gallons of gasoline?!? All I know Is it looks like regular gas right reform the pump.

I guess my real question is what is an ok amount to run mixed with WMO in a Deuce, I might experiment a little and see if I can find a good ratio, I like the idea of 85%wmo and 15%gas make a similar "diesel" fuel. Will gas mix with WVO without separating?

eagle4g63

I run gas mixed in with my stuff all the time..........I get a 55 gallon barrel of oil and a 35 gallon barrel of gas from just one of my regular places........I have run them just at that mix in my truck a few times when I didn't have much else, now I try to keep my totes pretty full and mix just about anything together in there..........one big pot of liquid gold.

Back to the kero question.........I have also run that in the truck.........love when I get some for free.........got 40 gallons of it from a guy last year........made good thinner for the oil. The main reason I would run diesel or gas over it now is cost........kero is just too dang high around here.......but if it is free.........RUN IT!!!

Sorry to bring up an older topic but I didn't want to start yet ANOTHER similar thread,

I have recently acquired about 80 gallons of straight gas. I don't know the full story behind the two barrels but they were given to my buddy who (like myself) is afraid to put it in our pickup trucks. The person who he got them from said the gas is fine and they were using these two drums to fill portable pumps during hurricane sandy. I know something has got to be wrong with this because who in there right mind would give away ~80 gallons of gasoline?!? All I know Is it looks like regular gas right reform the pump.

I guess my real question is what is an ok amount to run mixed with WMO in a Deuce, I might experiment a little and see if I can find a good ratio, I like the idea of 85%wmo and 15%gas make a similar "diesel" fuel. Will gas mix with WVO without separating?
A MF deuce should run on straight gasoline. There is an octane specification, I think it is 89 max. Gas does not lubricate well so oil should be added, I have heard a minimum of 1quart per tank of gas. I think the TM says to add diesel at a rate of 10 to 30% if the engine is running rough.
I ran my deuce on a 50/50 gas/diesel mixture, to get me to the next fuel stop, it ran fine. I usually run straight diesel in my trucks because I think it is better for the IP, filters and engine as a whole.

197thhhc

I run a 10% mix year round. I put 50 gallons of filtered WMO in a 55 gal drum and 5 gal of gas. It thins it to more of a diesel consistancy. Plus it starts easier in the winter than straight WMO. When I was in the Army, we used to poor all the gas from the tent heaters and immersion heaters in the deuces tanks after field manuvers. It was mandated by the Brigade Commander and not an option. The only issue we had was the exhaust would glow red at night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks