• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CV BOOT INSTALLATION

MedicKam

As Tobash said, the "P" Park position on the shifter is the first giveaway. The next is having an overdrive position and then 3,2,and 1 gear spots.
From the exterior of the truck, provided there isn't a winch installed or other front end modification, the front bumper will look like the picture below, with 3 large holes in it.

View attachment 884205

4 speed trucks use a flat winch plate
(there is a rectangular hole wherer the license plate is in the below picture)
View attachment 884206
Thank you! Looks like mine is a 3 speed. I’ve read different articles about the R1. Some say they were all updated to 4 speed but clearly that’s not accurate.
I appreciate the info.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you! Looks like mine is a 3 speed. I’ve read different articles about the R1. Some say they were all updated to 4 speed but clearly that’s not accurate.
I appreciate the info.
They were definitely NOT all updated, as PS magazine has a page where it tells everyone that if it's one range of serial numbers, during repair it takes a 3 speed transmission and another set is for the 4 speed.

rolling18

As Tobash said, the "P" Park position on the shifter is the first giveaway. The next is having an overdrive position and then 3,2,and 1 gear spots.
From the exterior of the truck, provided there isn't a winch installed or other front end modification, the front bumper will look like the picture below, with 3 large holes in it.

View attachment 884205

4 speed trucks use a flat winch plate
(there is a rectangular hole wherer the license plate is in the below picture)
View attachment 884206
Where do I get a roof rack like that? whats it called?

Mikei998

Has anyone had success in running the auto zone axles ? Do they last ? Bought a set off eBay and had to change out the boots twice! Now I’m just ready to replace them all !🤬 what’s the best route to take ? Don’t want to keep repairing them….

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone had success in running the auto zone axles ? Do they last ? Bought a set off eBay and had to change out the boots twice! Now I’m just ready to replace them all !🤬 what’s the best route to take ? Don’t want to keep repairing them….
I have had mixed results with the Autozone and Summit half shafts, both have a lifetime warrantee, obviously made by the same company, I think the Summit ones are cheapest now if you buy more than one and get fee shipping.
Remove the fact my Duramax powered truck can spin those shafts until the softer rubber boot self destruct, I did have two shafts that the boots were defective from the factory and they split along the mold seem almost immediately, I was able to get them replaced free, (tell them it is a 1995 H1) one was Autozone and one was Summit (why I say they are obviously the same manufacturer) hopefully all of those are out of the system by now as that was about a year ago.
Given the price difference I still think they are a good way to go.
BTW I have not been able to "break" any of those shafts despite beating on them with a big hammer. ;)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the link to the Summit site, it is the first (rear) and the third and forth one listed although for some reason I cannot get the "fitment" to match any "Hummer" odd.
Despite the fact it lists the first one as a "passenger rear" as we know both the rear shafts are the same length.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My REV A 12K axle boots are leaking.

Anyone have preferences for boot distributors sources and grease manufacturers?

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My REV A 12K axle boots are leaking.

Anyone have preferences for boot distributors sources and grease manufacturers?
I have not had occasion to get into a 12K axle rebuild yet, so I have not previously looked for any alternative boots to the 57K3515 kit called out in the parts manual. One thing to note if you do use the 57K3515 kit is that it does not include the tulip, part 5715542, as noted on the HPG listing ( 57K3515C / 01-457-1337 2530-01-457-1337 - KIT, HALFSHAFT BOOT (12.1 GVW) {PAIR} | Hummer Parts Guy (HPG) ) and discussed here: (157) Half Shaft Rubber Insert... Can't find a part number that works. | SteelSoldiers . AMG has a good picture of it here: SPACER HALFSHAFT BOOT TULIP 12K (5715542) - Chassis | Genuine Humvee Parts

I took a look at the boots on a M1152 I have here. The tulip has number 239-0076 on it as mentioned in the thread linked above. Here are a couple of pics:

12k CV Boot Tulip 2390076 5715542.jpg
12k CV Joint on M1152.jpg

In 2018, I posted the EMPI catalog for CV boots and described how to convert the EMPI numbers to NAPA numbers (add a "6" at the beginning and remove the dash), post #16 here: (157) CV boot on HMMWV | SteelSoldiers

The inner and outer 12K boots are the same, but the inner boot uses the tulip to adapt it to the trilobe CV joint cup. The outer cup measures close to 4.00" diameter, shaft is 1.200" diameter and the overall length of the boot is about 4.5". Looking at the EMPI catalog, it looks like the best matches (looking only at the round boots) are 86-2326 on page 16 of the 2017 catalog, or 86-2352 on page 17. The length of 86-2326 is about an inch longer than the stock boot, but maybe would compress or could be clamped further out on the shaft than the stock boot; 86-2352 is for a 0.980" diameter shaft but would probably stretch OK. These are NAPA part numbers 6862326 and 6862352 respectively. If these will work, the nice thing then is that you can buy just one rather than the two that the 57K3515 kit comes with.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not had occasion to get into a 12K axle rebuild yet, so I have not previously looked for any alternative boots to the 57K3515 kit called out in the parts manual. One thing to note if you do use the 57K3515 kit is that it does not include the tulip, part 5715542, as noted on the HPG listing ( 57K3515C / 01-457-1337 2530-01-457-1337 - KIT, HALFSHAFT BOOT (12.1 GVW) {PAIR} | Hummer Parts Guy (HPG) ) and discussed here: (157) Half Shaft Rubber Insert... Can't find a part number that works. | SteelSoldiers . AMG has a good picture of it here: SPACER HALFSHAFT BOOT TULIP 12K (5715542) - Chassis | Genuine Humvee Parts

I took a look at the boots on a M1152 I have here. The tulip has number 239-0076 on it as mentioned in the thread linked above. Here are a couple of pics:

View attachment 914563
View attachment 914564

In 2018, I posted the EMPI catalog for CV boots and described how to convert the EMPI numbers to NAPA numbers (add a "6" at the beginning and remove the dash), post #16 here: (157) CV boot on HMMWV | SteelSoldiers

The inner and outer 12K boots are the same, but the inner boot uses the tulip to adapt it to the trilobe CV joint cup. The outer cup measures close to 4.00" diameter, shaft is 1.200" diameter and the overall length of the boot is about 4.5". Looking at the EMPI catalog, it looks like the best matches (looking only at the round boots) are 86-2326 on page 16 of the 2017 catalog, or 86-2352 on page 17. The length of 86-2326 is about an inch longer than the stock boot, but maybe would compress or could be clamped further out on the shaft than the stock boot; 86-2352 is for a 0.980" diameter shaft but would probably stretch OK. These are NAPA part numbers 6862326 and 6862352 respectively. If these will work, the nice thing then is that you can buy just one rather than the two that the 57K3515 kit comes with.
Absolutely awesome post.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to do all that work IMHO it is best to go ahead and use factory boots.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks