• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CV BOOT REPAIR

Inspector 1

Thought I would share a simple repair to the infamous CV boot tear. I observed a significant tear in my upper CV Boot passenger side. I didn't have time to replace boot. I purchased a tube of CV joint grease. I inserted the end of CV joint grease inside tear and squeezed grease up towards the CV joint. I then purchased a roll of 8" wide Flex Tape. The pic shows 4" wide but make sure you use the 8" wide so there are no seams. The Flex Tape is extremely sticky. Once it touches itself it will not come apart. I wrapped the Flex Tape 360 degrees around existing boot from one end to the other. I used a 3" hose clamp to secure one end. A 1-1/4" hose clamp to the other end. As you can see from pic its not the prettiest repair, (LOL) but it is very effective in keeping water and debris out while keeping grease in. Hope this helps for a quick and easy temporary repair.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ajax MD

That's a great, interim repair.

The more I read about CHICOM garbage axles, the more I want to preserve my originals. This will help keep the dirt out until they can be serviced.

papakb

There are a series of videos on You Tube about CV boot replacement on civilian cars. They show you how to use a cone tool to replace the boot in the vehicle that isn't going to work in the HMMWV but the section of the video that actually shows you how to replace the boot on the axle itself is valid. Just turn the audio off so you don't have to listen to the terrible robot voices.

Ajax MD

I saw a video about the cone/funnel method. Man, it REALLY stretches the CV boot. Given the CHICOM quality issues, I'd be really nervous to try that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks