• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

D-Max turbo on a multi-fuel?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Performance issues as I recall, two of them were threads here where people installed a 5t turbo with a wastegate.

If you're determined to force more boost down a 22:1 CR engine, that is your own prerogative. Just know there's a inherent risk in doing so.

JasonS

Performance issues as I recall, two of them were threads here where people installed a 5t turbo with a wastegate.

If you're determined to force more boost down a 22:1 CR engine, that is your own prerogative. Just know there's a inherent risk in doing so.
I took off a wastegate to put back on a D turbo but that was because it was damaged. I eventually did obtain and install a good wastegate turbo. Who was the person who had performance issues?

Lonesome715

Thanks. I wil take the time to read that.

In other news. I sold the D-Max turbo. I got an offer I could not refuse. So now I am thinking the Garrett from the 97 PowerStroke I have would be a goos choice to use.

brianp454

I think this is a neat idea, but likely easier to pop one of the 3 or 4 series turbos that were originally on these engines to experiment. JasonS has some good info in it. Maybe look into one of the versions that he did not try?

I find that my C turbo with the FDC bypassed does pretty good for general driveability. These trucks were not designed to blast out high HP for extended times as required for freeway speeds on grades. As a rule of thumb, smaller turbos spool up faster and give boost earlier and larger ones do the opposite. The variable turbo design was intended to span that gap. If you move to a "bigger" turbo you will likely loose out at lower RPM. It's all about trade-offs.

Lonesome715

Good points. I should have used the term better turbo than bigger one. I can see how a different series would be better than pulling one off a pickup truck.

HETvet

As for the VGT issues. Convert it to a vacuum unit. VW has been doing this for years. The turbo might not be a VGT turbo to begin with. The LB7 d-max is a nonVGT turbo. They started using VGT turbos on the LLY. The LLY turbo is good for 26psi and that's at the limit of its boost map. With an after market compressor wheel it can get safely to 32psi. Just some food for thought

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks