Daf

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

snowtrac nome

I thought my lmtv was a baby only a mother could love those have mine beat. I have to admit that 6x6 drive system was interesting and seemed to work well so their engineers are thinking out of the box. now that daf is partners with kenworth I suppose you could say you have a kw military vehicle

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DAFs have two very unique and brilliant enginering things, both shown in this pic.

DAF H-drive train_resize.png

The drive train follows an H pattern. In a central differential in the middle of the car, the drive train splits to left and right. Then two distribution boxed split the power to the front and back wheels. So the power is not split over axles, but over sides. The good thing: you do not have any low-hanging rear differentials, so you have a much better ground clearance.

Ground clearance. Next you see the spare tires on the outside of the car. Those spare wheels are mounted as freewheeling wheels on special bearings.

Translation of terms:
Schematic drawing of the H-drive of an YA 318/326
Red lines: permanent traction
Blue lines: lock and release options for front wheel.

Back of the car.
Balanceer Juk: basically your balance tandem system
Worm kast: case with worm wheel drive. Basically a transfer that can act as reduction but also changes the direction of the drive 90 degrees.
Bladveer: spring blades
Achter as: rear axle

Middle of the car
Reductiebak and centraal differentieel: reduction transfer case and central differential.
Verdeelbak: splitter case to divide the traction between the front and back wheels.
Vrijhangend reservewiel cq steunwiel: free-hanging spare wheel / support wheel

Forward:
versnellingsbak: gearbox
Motor: motor
stuurhuis: steering house
torsiestaaf vering: torsion bar suspension

11112011441c_resize.jpg

Here the YA 126 with the spare tire. You can see that all the 6 bolts are in place. All old DAF MVs have this. If they cross a ditch, the spare tire touches the ground and start acting like a normal non-powered wheel, and lifts the bottom of the truck up so it will not hit the edge of the ditch.

I loved to have a real Kenworth. But to show some national pride ;); actually Kenworth was the first truck company taken over by PACCAR, we are just a next acquisition in that line. I think that DAF is still more or less independent, although parts and engines are often shared.

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one famous DAF family in the Nederlands: De Rooy. Jan de Rooy and his brother establsihed De Rooy Transport using DAFs. He already drove DAF cars in rally's, but switched to trucks in the Paris Dakar rally. Most famous was his double cabin version

Not that it could drive both ways, it was just the easiest way to install two engines. Jan De Rooy passed on both the company and the Dakar Team De Rooy to his son Gerard. Since the death of one of the DAF drivers during DAKAR, DAF withdrew, but team De Rooy carried on with Ginaf and later Iveco trucks. They had very good successes including several first places.

TehTDK

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo, mind translating the words on that picture into english? If you know that is :)

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When ever somebody posts that DAF video I HAVE TO WATCH IT again! I did not realize that DAF produced so many different trucks and knew nothing about the APC. The trucks look fairly conventional except that drive system I have never seen one such as that, not sure if its a good idea or not although it does get rid of the differential in the middle of the axle housing so might increase clearance. Pretty darn neat trucks, would be fun to learn another truck!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Translation - Two-Headed Monster

DAF means "van Doorne Automobiel Fabriek".

Van Doorrne was a genius in designing cars and trailers. He also designed the Variomatic, a fully automatic step-less transmission. As effect of this, the DAF could drive backwards as quick as forwards ... in 1958.

TehTDK

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo, I meant the words on the picture you posted of the drivelive :). And can that driveline actually lock its various wheels together?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more details of the supporting wheel/spare. The first one shows how the wheel is nicely positioned to help raise the truck of the edges. The second shows details of the "hub" after the wheel has been removed. You can see that it is actually connected as a none-powered wheel.

DSC_0004c2_resize.JPG

2020 02 Herkenbosch _16_resize.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks