• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daily drive a CUCV?

Jblankster

so my friend asked me to help find him a truck/SUV that was cheap he can DD and not have to "worry" about. no more than 5 grand, Diesel, 4wd, and a good towing capacity. so i go hey why not a CUCV. i found a few for him to go look at but i was thinking. is either a good daily driver? he isn't totally mechanically inclined but knows when ****s wrong lol.

yeah anyway. which would yall suggest to DD a m1009 or m1008? how good are the diesels on reliability? we live in the burbs and driving above 50 is something that happens more than normal. any help would be greatly appreciated.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Most of this has been covered at nausium including a thread from just last week. If driving above 50, suggest the 1009. Reliable. Manuals on line here to diagnos and fix the issues. Been driving one nearly daily since 2005 anywhere from 62 to now 35 miles a day.

fitz

I don't know if I would recomend a cucv or any other 25+/- year old vehicle to someone who is not mechanicly inclined.
As far as a daily driver keep in mind that the 1008/1028 have 4.56 gears and a highway speed of about 50/55 mph. The 1009 has 3.08 gears so it can keep up with highway traffic.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I don't know if I would recomend a cucv or any other 25+/- year old vehicle to someone who is not mechanicly inclined.
As far as a daily driver keep in mind that the 1008/1028 have 4.56 gears and a highway speed of about 50/55 mph. The 1009 has 3.08 gears so it can keep up with highway traffic.

I was the honor graduate at the school for the mechanically declined. I consider the CUCV a great vehicle to learn on.

Jblankster

i did do a search, im reading some of them now. every thread i read i hear the m1009 is overall the best. but then i hear the m1008 is also just as good. but then some say its terrible. he prefers a truck, but the better mileage/gears might get him into the suv idea.

emr

Well read all u can, then buy one and do it. U will find out all is true good and bad. they are a base truck that survived because of low milage. A person who will not abuse it and will maintain it will appreciate it, It was never meant to be a work horse. it is a half ton blazer. U can only get so much from others , u need to bite the bullet and learn from experiemce, since u are asking I am saying this with all good intentions. It was a good idea to ask here for sure. But no one can make that final decision but U, good luck hope u find a good one...randy

91W350

My original was a M1008 and I loved it, even if I never ran over 50 with it. Unfortunatley a nurse ran a red light and creamed it for me. I am just glad everybody was okay. A few years later I bought the second M1008, I feel lucky to have found one this solid. I drove it everyday until I bought my M1009. The M1009 does not drive as nice in my opinion, but is much more nimble. Much easier to park and turn and I am enjoying those 65 mph cruises down the highway. I also like that the dogs can ride inside and I do not have to worry about some fool walking up to the pretty puppies and getting bit. If more than one person is riding with me, the M1009 is a blessing. I also like that when I travel, I am not shuffling my bags from the pickup bed to the cab everytime we stop.

A lot of people say their M1009 does much better on fuel than the M1008. The two I have run within 1 mpg of each other. My first M1008 was much better than these two are. It always ran right around 20. If you are going to be hauling a load or doing serious off roading, the M1008 is much heavier built. I am really glad I have both and enjoy them, I feel very fortunate. If you were closer, I would say stop by and take one for a few days. :) Glen

Jblankster

hmm okay. what about the newer body style CUCV or Sierras? theres a diesel one for sale at the same place he is looking into also. or if he can find one a newer one.

justinwregier

CUCVs can be some work... but well worth it! I have a M1009 I purchased online from a veteran who was parting with his project. Great guy and a great truck. With some time and TMs I have had it as a DD for 13 months but it has had its share of issues. Trouble aside diesels are work horses and kept in good shape can last as long or longer as one's interest in driving a CUCV... probably why the gov't is still able to sell these vehicles.:deadhorse:

For the price though it is hard to find a better base truck and the CUCVs listed at the Jblankster's dealer link from a few post ago visually look good which is a head start for sure. These trucks are around 25 years old though so chances are something(s) may need some mechanical attention eventually. This is where the fun starts and hopefully ya'll get in on it before you miss the chance!

Best of Luck!!!
:grd:

firecontrol86

there was a member here who did a write up on that dealership and i bought an m1009 from them as well. the one guy there, i think his name was jeff was a pretty good guy. it's still a dealership so i'm always kinda wary of that, but for what the truck is and not wanting to deal with auctions it worked for me. and you can test drive them first! they said they get shipments of them from time to time so if you were looking for an m1009 they'll prob have more soon. good luck to you guys

Warren Lovell

Tell him to start collecting tools, start reading the threads, start doing YOU favors, since most likely in the beginning - you'll be his mechanic!

I've been driving my M1009 dailey since 2006. The only issues I've had were new tires, new batteries, new belts and hoses, etc. All considered routine maintenance to me. The harder issues were also CAUSED by me...ie: changing the generator dash lights to LED without a resister (causes gen lights to not go out!).

dskchevy

The best truck I've ever had...........M1009............. And I'm looking for a M1008 we have a 85 3/4 chev p/u 2wd w/new 350 nice but likes the gas.........they are easy to work on parts are cheap and in Texas they are everywere and rust free.
We have 2 Girls and 4 huskys We all fit in it...... It gets 22 mpg (better than a lot of new ones) and if some one puts a scratch in it a little flat black in a can makes it all better......

So ya a M1009 or a M1008 is a very good choice in my book..............:)