• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

daily driving m35a2

c4boom

Any one drive their duce every day? I was wondering how bad the increased maintenance is . I'm lucky enough to have an unlimited supply of waist oil and jet fuel.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I drove mine almost as a daily driver for a couple years. As long as you have time for up-keep, it wasn't too bad, kinda fun actually.

It certainly isn't a honda that you just jump in and go though!

jasonjc

Any one drive their duce every day? I was wondering how bad the increased maintenance is . I'm lucky enough to have an unlimited supply of waist oil and jet fuel.
Just make sure that waste is clean. I here guys on here all the time that use that stuff and say it works. But I all so here the one's on here that say "my truck doesn't run right any more". The IP has very tight tolerances. Why do you change oil? Because it has carp in it , that the filter can't get out. Not only dirt but acids. Nothing is free you will pay some way some how.

This is just my thoughts.

Last edited:

c4boom

I filter all the fuel with a large centrifuge from a old honey production machine. You would not believe the stuff it pulls out. After that its pumped through a large filter I think its 15 microns. the acids don.t get built up in air craft oil its only in there for 50 hours.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you change oil? Because it has carp in it , that the filter can't get out.
Well right there's your problem, carp in your oil. If mine had carp in it I'd change it to and switch brands of oil. Carp screws up everything.

(No, I could NOT resist.) :)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only problem when I was daily driving my deuce was that when you put all your bags of groceries in the bed, they get scattered all around the bed by the time you get home.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I filter all the fuel with a large centrifuge from a old honey production machine. You would not believe the stuff it pulls out. After that its pumped through a large filter I think its 15 microns. the acids don.t get built up in air craft oil its only in there for 50 hours.
Run it through the filter first. The 'fuge will remove MUCH smaller particles. MAny folks don't like running alt fuels, but I've saved WAY more money from using "alt fuel" than an IP and a set of injectors costs.

snowtrac nome

The duce is cool I love the things, like a screaming jimmy listening to a straight pipe diesel with the exhaust exiting next to the passengers door could get old. as for alt fuels you can run them all in a mechanical fuel system jet a with a touch of turbine oil would make a nice mix to substitute #2 for an on road fuel you might be stepping on some laws first off jet-a isn't an ultralow sulfur product yet. my understanding they are just now getting an faa approval for it secondly there is the road tax issue that users of alternative fuels are supposed to pay. my suggestion if the fuel is properly conditioned and you have a hydrometer to ensure your mix has the proper density and viscosity go ahead and use it. I would not be afraid of using straight jet that's what used be the standard winter fuel up here in the north before the stupid ulsd rules applied to us to.

Been driving mine for 4 years now pretty close to every day. Still running on used oil. Since I stopped taking oil from other people I no longer have to clean injectors and only change filters every 6 months or so. The only real problem I have is keeping tires on the front. They don't last very long and 9x20 are not easy to find in Eugene Oregon. Have thought about changing tires but if its not ndcc on it its not a army truck to me.

Had to come back and edit this post. I have been driving this thing almost every day for 7 years not 4. No wonder my arms hurt.

Last edited:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew what you meant, jasonjc. Your accidental typo gave me the giggle that I desperately needed this morning!!! rofl
THANK YOU!!!
As for the rest of you jokers, thanks for extending the giggle!! Now I have something funny to think of as I head into my boring morning meeting at work!!! :clinto: :beer: :-D