• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dallas TX Folks - 5 Ton Insurance and Title Question

IronhorseTX

Hi TX folks, curious on who you are using for insurance for a 5 ton truck? I've seen people mention Hagerty and Progressive, are there any others you would suggest? Hagerty shot me down because the rig is not more than 20 yrs old, and Progressive said the truck needs to weigh less than 11K lbs to be insured. For content, This rig wont be used as a commercial vehicle.

Also, I'm reading the DMV horror stories and its got me nervous on what to expect. Prior planning prevents poor performance - so I'm getting sorted before walking in the DMV door. I'm planning to bring with me the: title, inspection, proof of insurance, measured weight, and title/registration paperwork. What am I missing, aside form a luck rabbit's foot?

Thank you so much in advance for the help! :)

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Texas is easy. There's a little known law that allows you to register ANY military vehicle is what I'm told. If you need details talk to Justin Wehring in Clute:

Super nice guy and he knows all the tricks. His wife occasionally drives one of his tanks to their favorite steak house. He knows people at the DMV. He has registered military hovercraft amongst other things. Ask him about "Littlebird"

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi TX folks, curious on who you are using for insurance for a 5 ton truck? I've seen people mention Hagerty and Progressive, are there any others you would suggest? Hagerty shot me down because the rig is not more than 20 yrs old, and Progressive said the truck needs to weigh less than 11K lbs to be insured. For content, This rig wont be used as a commercial vehicle.

Also, I'm reading the DMV horror stories and its got me nervous on what to expect. Prior planning prevents poor performance - so I'm getting sorted before walking in the DMV door. I'm planning to bring with me the: title, inspection, proof of insurance, measured weight, and title/registration paperwork. What am I missing, aside form a luck rabbit's foot?

Thank you so much in advance for the help! :)
Howdy IronhorseTX,

I'm local to you and handle this stuff literally every day. Here's the form you need to register it as a FMV - Former Military Vehicle. The only things you need with this are proof of insurance and your choice of license plate or stencil. Now, insurance wise.. what are you trying to get insured? The Hagerty website will reject anything that isn't perfect on paper and we know our MVs are far from that. I have multiple MVs under 20 years old (on paper) as Hagerty knows these are rebuild dates, not manufacture dates. Call them with details and they will be more understanding than you might think.

IronhorseTX

Hi fuzzy, pleasure to meet you, love to meet a local! I’m curious, can this only be registered as a former military vehicle or can I do it as a regular truck so it be driven more often?

On the insurance, Hagerty shot me down as the title states 2008 and Progressive said no because it weighs over 11k lbs. So maybe I’m talking to the wrong folks…

coachgeo

there is a specific forum on this steelsoldiers discussion board for insurance that is broke down by state.... that is the best place for your questions/answers. FMTV folk IMHO, send insurance questions to that forum. That is a relatively new forum on this board.. so members here are not use to sending folk there yet.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi fuzzy, pleasure to meet you, love to meet a local! I’m curious, can this only be registered as a former military vehicle or can I do it as a regular truck so it be driven more often?

On the insurance, Hagerty shot me down as the title states 2008 and Progressive said no because it weighs over 11k lbs. So maybe I’m talking to the wrong folks…
What truck is it and was it actually made in 2008 or rebuilt in 2008? You've yet to share this info.

A Progressive Commercial policy limited to personal use will insure you but that is expensive. Progressive may insure it if you bring your daily driver over, I've done this before too. You can register these trucks like any common vehicle but you will be subject to the same regulations, inspections, etc. I did my first M35A2 like a pick up a long time ago and after trying to get it inspected at 7 different locations I learned I was trying to "fit a square peg in a round hole". No place would sign for it and no one knew how to operate it enough to do the inspection.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks