• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Damage From Running Split Boot?

SteveKuhn

I've read most of the dust boot threads but I can't quite find a definitive answer to this question:

Am I pushing my luck running a couple hundred miles with splits in the front boots?

I'm scheduled for a parade on Sunday and have another event coming up in a couple of weeks. Total will be around 150 - 200 miles at 35 - 40 mph. All driving is on pavement - no dust, mud or water.

Both boots have the typical splits reported and had a glop of grease come out and land on the tire when they did. No way I can get them replaced by Sunday and doubtful before the 2nd event. If I could, it'd be done.

I don't want to incur expense through damage to the front axle/brass bushings/thrust washers or a lockup of the front resulting in a hook tow from lack of lube.

A couple of friends say not to worry and more or less go along with the quote I've seen: "Boots are there to keep out dust and water, not to keep grease in." Theory is enough grease remains for required lubrication.

Another friend (and I) worry about those components heating up, freezing, or scoring.

Is there a way to tell if there's a safe amount of grease in there without taking off the boots? What is it?

Got an opinion? I know that there's no crystal ball. Thanks for the sanity check . . .

Steve

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine needed to be replaced 2 years ago. Im hoping this sunday I can do them. I was thinking about ordering new spindle bushings just incase, but i haven't yet. i think i can get away with doing the axle seals and boots only. Ill check the spindle bushing and kingpin bushings when I do the job. I would like to do it all, but money is tight and i already have the seals, silicone boots and tub of grease.

When they knuckle is packed full of grease, that also helps lube the spindle bushing and other things in there too. If you can, go with the one piece silicone boots. The zipper boots do not last that long as the oils attack the rubber. I was not happy when I saw mine ripped a year later.

panshark

If you're really worried, it would be good to do a couple of things: read the step by step axle boot cover removal/installation thread (only the first few pages) to get a good idea what the inside of the axle looks like, and then look at the grease coming out of your wheel to see if it looks "gross." After that, you might also be checking the level/quality of your front axle lube, to make sure that the inside of the axle isn't suffering from deferred maintenance as well.

F18hornetM

I'm sure a parade is not going to hurt anything with a boot thats split. Just grease gets all over the inside of the wheel.
As a thought, when you replace them, definately get silicone boots. On the Duece we put ordinary rubber one piece boots on it, and they have lasted about a year. Have ordered silicone boots now. aua
On the 5 ton we thought we would try zipper boots since both came with them from the govt. They lasted about a month, without even driving much. Since then have replaced the 5 ton boots with one piece silicone boots from red barn and so far so good. Couple hundred miles and about 6 months, still look good. Keeping fingers crossed . I enjoy working on these old trucks just dont like doing work over again.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Deuce boots cracked long time ago, nothing comes out probably because
nothing is in there. I have been Deuce dust boots/parts "window shopping".
I have axle boots to renew along with all the other "deferred maintenance".
I want to do this front axles job just one time, looks like $125 to $300 a side.
Red Barn Customs say they have a new vender for silicon boots + are better.
And I can get them in six different colors, like anything but OD. Interesting.

panshark

Boots are $30 apiece, maybe a bit more. Several pounds of grease, a couple jugs of gear lube...unless you're investing in more tools, I think your estimate might be a bit high. I had to buy a 3/4" breaker bar, I think the going price for the 8-sided 3" socket is around $30, and I get a set of heavy-duty jack stands at Sears for $40, as opposed to China Freight's jack stands that were around $70. A couple of pints of DOT5, for however much that is at Checker-Schucks-O'reilly. I think the price on the inner axle seals were only $10-15 apiece, so I don't see where the $300 per side is coming from. Maybe includes new brakes?

Did I miss anything?

SteveKuhn

Thanks for reviving this thread. My truck was actually torn down on both sides a year ago and everything was in superb shape except the boots. Changed seals anyway. The current split ones are the 2nd pair I've put on. The pair of silicones I just got from Kublo's is my third in about 15 months. Just off the chart stupid.

The grease that's been popping out looks like it just came out of the tub and there's no gear oil to be found.

The $300/side around here would be labor at a very fair rate. In fact, I was quoted that. If you're replacing a bunch of other front end related parts like brakes, cylinders, drum turning, and the like as the post suggests, plus tools, I could see it climbing to close that if you were buying fairly high priced parts and doing it yourself.

Steve

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't tell what boot you are getting when you order new ones. I've read many times about people putting the one piece boots on and complaining that they split within a year. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time tearing it all down unless it needs service.

Just buy the zipper boots. It's not hard to change them and you don't need to take the wheels off. It's all in the TM. Just make sure you clean the grooves good on the knuckle and axle housing where the band clamp goes.

My m52a2 has one side that that is full of grease from the last owner filling it up from greasing the king pin bearings the boot lasts about a year . the other side is much dryer and that boot lasts about 2 1/2 years . To tear down the axle is on my list .

SteveKuhn

If the replacements were every 24+ months, I'd tend to agree with Tow4 on sticking with the zippers. It doesn't seem right that you can't check the mfr of the boots when you buy them. For example, when you buy seals you can identify New Star. I've had that thought about the silicones that I just bought. I wonder how many mfrs there really are and who actually makes the ones you're buying from a given vendor.

I'm trying the one piece this time because it seems to me that going through 2 sets of zippers in a year is just nuts.

I am pretty convinced, however, that overfilling the grease could be a culprit, and is probably true in my case. There's been a lot pumped out in the past couple of weeks.

Perhaps over the winter I'll find a sail or awning maker who can fab a similar zipper set at a reasonably unreasonable price and just hold them in the spares kit. That is, if there's a sail maker left at the shore after Sandy.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks