• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 60 for front end

dodjh

On one M880 I have replaced the axles on the Dana 44 HD twice. I'm thinking about replacing the HD 44 with a Dana 60.

Has anyone done this and how does the Full time NP 203 work on that set up?

You would most likely want to swap out (im assuming the 880 has a NP203 Transfer Case) for a NP205 as its part time and a much stronger case than the NP203.

Compare the center section location on the 44 you currently have with the D60 and the spring mount locations from the 44 to the 60.

Since the D60 case would have locking hubs your 99% there with the axle but the case IMO is a mandatory switch.

On one M880 I have replaced the axles on the Dana 44 HD twice. I'm thinking about replacing the HD 44 with a Dana 60.

Has anyone done this and how does the Full time NP 203 work on that set up?

Last edited:

dodjh

It does have the NP 203 in it but I have an extra Dodge 205 TC. Do you know what a front Dana 60 will cost used?

Thanks

MatthewH

You could just leave the 203 if its not causing issues and run drive flanges in the Dana 60.
Depending on your location, but Dana 60's usually run $600-$1000 depending on gears, dually or single wheel, etc.
Just a thought, if you had any interest in running HMMWV rims on your truck, get a dually front axle, the hubs are already offset and you wont need spacers up front

I would think that a chevy Dana 60 would start at 1k and top out at 1750-1800 They arent as desirable as the high pinion ford D60's but depending on how fresh or new and what gear would make the price go up...

Here is a link to a pair the D60 and the 14 bolt take outs for 2500 for the pair..

Call them and ask for a price on a D60...Or let your fingers do the walking and google it find a military vehicle dealer close to you or check craigs list as there are guys all over that deal in this stuff.
http://www.boyceequipment.com/

MatthewH

While a Chevy axle will bolt in and fit, there's no reason to buy, or pay CUCV prices for front Dana 60's. M880's are only 4.10 geared, so you would have to spend more money to regear it to work.
Check out Craigslist for guys parting out 89-93 Dodge Cummins trucks. There's also a couple facebook groups that cater to these trucks, and there's always guys parting these trucks out.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
94-present Dodge 4x4s used coil springs & control arms instead of leaf springs; if you have fabrication skills or know someone who does, this would be a welcome upgrade from leaf springs (somewhere around 2005-ish Dodge switched from Dana to AAM axles, and the driver's side axle tubes are known to bend under hard use). BUT, the differential is driver's side, not passenger-side like pre-1993 Dodge trucks, so this would necessitate a transfer case change to a Ford-type or post-1993 Dodge TC. Otherwise, look for 1993 & older trucks for donors.

Also, even though D60s from GM products may look the same as a similar-year Dodge (or Ford with the pumpkin on the opposite side), the hub openings are NOT the same...Ford & Dodge use larger hub openings than GM. If you get a GM-sourced D60, any wheel's hub opening should work on it; but if you use a Ford or Dodge-sourced D60, only wheels meant for those 2 trucks will fit, GM wheels will NOT fit over the hubs unless you (or someone else) enlarges them by milling and/or grinding. Which is something else to look for on used wheels, and maybe even the hubs on used axles as I've seen a few that were "modified" like this.

As MatthewH points out above, try to source same from same: try to find a D60 front axle from a similar-year Dodge truck, as the spring pad measurements & widths will be the same, you have a better chance of finding the same gearing, etc... They are out there.

Last edited:

dodjh

Thank each of you for the input on the Dana 60 swap. There are a lot more variables to the swap than I considered.

I do have hummer tires on one M880, 36 X 16.5's and they are great. I had to have a leaf added on the front and the leafs arched to prevent rubbing.

It will be nice having the Dana 60 up front!

dodjh

What are you doing to break the front axles?
They aren't breaking.... the passenger side front is loosing its toe in drastically. It will be so far out that you can't drive in a straight line.

It's happened twice and I can't figure out why it is happening.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks