• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dana 60 front locker Eaton limited

Oldsouthernboy

I am making my M1028 a trail rig and the front Locker is a Eaton limited slip locker. I was told that a Eaton was a weak locker system and should be replaced. I was suggested Youkon lunch box locker for some trail useage, I did not like that idea and am wondering what your opion is on a good strong locker, I am leaning toward a Ox locker or heaven forbid a ARB locker, I am wanting the best bang for my buck.

Keep the Eaton! Is is NOT a weak link and it will be a lot easier to turn tight turns with it that ANY other locker than an ARB. It is already paid for and already installed. Imho, that is the best automatic "locker" that you can have in the front end.

Last edited:

DokWatson

They have their advantages and disadvantages. Neither are weak, but if you put a full locker up front, expect to snap stub shafts a lot more often. I like my limited slip.

ODdave

anyone had a tru trac up front yet? i forgot about a new one i had here till doing some cleaning. Originaly bought it for up front but never got around to it.

True Knight

They have their advantages and disadvantages. Neither are weak, but if you put a full locker up front, expect to snap stub shafts a lot more often. I like my limited slip.

I agree completely. The limited slip allows the tires to turn at different rates, but at the same time it is limited so they arent just free spinning independent from each other. I really dont see a point of having a full locking front end. It will break parts, and ultimately we all want to have a reliable truck that won't leave us stuck. I have been in some slippery situations with my M1028 and it has pulled me out every time.

K10A

It is either a LOCKER OR LIMITED SLIP cant be both!

If you are making a true off road rig get rid of the posi and get a real locker.
Like an ARB air actuated locker or a good ole detroit, or even a lock right that replaces the spiders. If you wheel it hard you will regret the posi. It is not weak
it just will not provide the traction you are going to want. I second bgekky3 that
steering can be hard if you do not get a selectable locker.

My buddy who owns a jeep put a tru trac in the front of his cj7 and liked it but it is still not a real locker, had to ride the brake to get it to lock up and take him where he wanted to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks