• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 60 front rebuild kit question

MaineMonsterM1010

Hi folks. New member, longtime reader of posts. I have a 1984 M1010 that needs a front kingpin rebuild. A mechanic friend suggested the link below, but said there may be others out there. This one has all I need... but tried calling/emailing the company to make sure this will work for my application and haven't heard back. Does anyone out there with this front end have any other links or suggestions for rebuild kits?

joshuak

Hi folks. New member, longtime reader of posts. I have a 1984 M1010 that needs a front kingpin rebuild. A mechanic friend suggested the link below, but said there may be others out there. This one has all I need... but tried calling/emailing the company to make sure this will work for my application and haven't heard back. Does anyone out there with this front end have any other links or suggestions for rebuild kits?

If all you need is the kingpins rebuilt, why buy a whole front axle rebuild kit?

Does this have what you need?

MaineMonsterM1010

If all you need is the kingpins rebuilt, why buy a whole front axle rebuild kit?

It

Hi and thanks for replying. Not a mechanic here... and have a memory like a leaking bucket, but my mechanic said it needs kingpins and some other things... and basically if we are going to get into it that far, might as well do the whole kit and caboodle. I showed him the link I posted and he agreed it had what he needs. There seem to be many other "package deals" for cheaper but that they didn't have all the parts he needs. So we would have to buy them separately. I guess my question is if anyone has a line on any similar kits but less expensive? Nit trying to sacrifice quality, though. So if this looks like a good kit, I'll get it.

joshuak

You're welcome, also welcome to the posting side of the board, would love to see some pics of your M1010.

I get your question and I'm not familiar with one.

Here is the parts list from the kit you linked, good quality for sure:

2x) Dana 60 Kingpin Rebuild kit (DS 706395-R)
2x) Dana 60 Lower Kingpin (DS 37299)
2x) Dana 60 Wheel Bearing / Seal kit
2x) Dana 60 Spindle Bearing / Seal kit (DS 700014)
2x) Dana 60 Mud slinger (DS 37308 )
2x) Dana Spicer U-joint, non-greasable
2x) Inner axle Seals (NS 470682)
1x) Pinion Seal (NS 9316)

Just for conversation sake though, if budget is a consideration, again I wonder if you need all those items. Take the lower kingpin for example (DS 37299), unless you really abuse your truck, I don't see them being a periodical maintenance item and that's $90 right there, upper kingpins too for that matter. Only my two 2cents.

I get the "Do it once and do it all" thing too.

MaineMonsterM1010

You're welcome, also welcome to the posting side of the board, would love to see some pics of your M1010.

I get your question and I'm not familiar with one.

Here is the parts list from the kit you linked, good quality for sure:

2x) Dana 60 Kingpin Rebuild kit (DS 706395-R)
2x) Dana 60 Lower Kingpin (DS 37299)
2x) Dana 60 Wheel Bearing / Seal kit
2x) Dana 60 Spindle Bearing / Seal kit (DS 700014)
2x) Dana 60 Mud slinger (DS 37308 )
2x) Dana Spicer U-joint, non-greasable
2x) Inner axle Seals (NS 470682)
1x) Pinion Seal (NS 9316)

Just for conversation sake though, if budget is a consideration, again I wonder if you need all those items. Take the lower kingpin for example (DS 37299), unless you really abuse your truck, I don't see them being a periodical maintenance item and that's $90 right there, upper kingpins too for that matter. Only my two 2cents.

I get the "Do it once and do it all" thing too.

Thanks. I will post some more pics soon. Yeah, I think the kingpins are on my mechanics list of MUST SWAP OUT. I'll probably stick with this kit and know the truck is all set for a bit in the front end department.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks