• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 60 hole drilled in housing?

rnd-motorsports

fitz

I can't tell by the picture but is there any chance that hole is in the top of the axle?.
If so that hole is for the vent tube.

DokWatson

I can't tell by the picture but is there any chance that hole is in the top of the axle?.
If so that hole is for the vent tube.
Unless its a D60 variation I've never heard of that has the ring gear on the opposite side, its the bottom of the axle. Look at the diff cover.

ODdave

if it where a vent hole (which it is not) it would deserve a darwin award. The oil slinging off of the ring gear would sling right out the hole........

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've thought about it, but I just can't figure out WHY someone would do that. I could understand if it was to drain fluid, but the cover would be way easier to drill or poke a hole in.

Guess it's true. Nothing is idiot proof, they'll always be a better idiot. :cookoo:

Welding it might prove tricky. But I'd suggest nomacast rod for it. I've had good results with it for cast so far. Could also tap it out for an NPT plug and have an easy drainplug at least out of the deal. [thumbzup]

jayman

Hey guys im new to the forum. I got a dumb question i just picked up a dana 60 and 14 bolt out of a cucv the guy i bought it from had a few sets and all the front dana 60's had 1 about 9/16" hole drilled in the bottom of the housing. Did anyone ever see this done before? Did the military do this so they couldnt sell the axles or something? I no this is a dumb question but i just wanted to know if anyone has ever seen this before. Thanks in advice for any imput.

Sean
hey sean my name is jay and funny i've been looking for the same anwer to that question i got a sixty with the same hole it had a plastic plug in it and i was wonderen what it was to if i find anthing out i will let you know could you let me know if you find out anything ima just tap it and plug it to:beer:

richingalveston

mutilation hole, but repairable

I have seen this once. My neihbor has one, he was told it was how they got away with meating the mutilation requirement and thus get them for free but can still re-sell. A hole in the diff cover does not meet mutilation requirement. A hole in the housing does. yes it would take some time to drill but when you are done you still get top dollar. His was tapped and had a plug in it when he got it.

344lbsofgetdown

that is how the USAF had us drain the axles on all the assest we sent to DRMO when i was over seas working they had us drill a hole in anything that held fluid and then it would sit in the back lot for a week then we could sent it out to DRMO there were times i had to hold back my tears when i had to do it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks