• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 60 Trac Lok odds.

Phily

Sorry in advanced if this is too much of a newb/noob/loser question.

From everything I've read, and I've read alot, searched alot, etc. I have found that the Dana 60 trac lok can be found in the M1028 and M1031. I have also found that nothing guarantees a trac lok to be found however, as there are cases where the front dif was found to be open. Is this rare to find a 1028/1031 w/o a trac lok? or just a common occurrence? or somewhere in between?

4bogginchevys

everything i've read says that it's not common....pop the cover if you can, if your looking to buy a truck hoping it has a trac loc then you can try locking/unlocking hubs and turning the front shaft while preventing one axle joint from spinning with a bar....a worn out unit might appear to be open but a good unit will prevent you from spinning the shaft, spin fast!

BTW, most of my posi checking has been on rear axles w/gov. lock, in thoery the front should be just as easy to check out.

Last edited:

Phily

everything i've read says that it's not common....pop the cover if you can, if your looking to buy a truck hoping it has a trac loc then you can try locking/unlocking hubs and turning the front shaft while preventing one axle joint from spinning with a bar....a worn out unit might appear to be open but a good unit will prevent you from spinning the shaft, spin fast!

BTW, most of my posi checking has been on rear axles w/gov. lock, in thoery the front should be just as easy to check out.
Your way of figuring out if the front has a LSD is brilliant. I never thought of checking like that.

When you say "not common" is that Not common to find the LSDs or not common that M1028 and M1031 have open front difs.

4bogginchevys

LSD, what is this, the 70's

Your way of figuring out if the front has a LSD is brilliant. I never thought of checking like that.

When you say "not common" is that Not common to find the LSDs or not common that M1028 and M1031 have open front difs.
uncommon to find them in any vehicle, so i've read

Cucvnut

its just a posi which is not very good anyways. put a arb in it and you can select when you want the front locked and un locked !

SmokeyDod

All 1028 & 1031 came with the "Trac-Lok" in the front Dana 60. You may get one with reg open diff. but that's due to someone in maint changed it out for whatever reason. A couple of other points that you can fig it has "trac-lok" is 1) if the 4th digit in vin # is a "H" (with one exception) which is the M1010 Amb. 2) If it has the "overload extra spring on the rear axle . Also if you are able to look at the center housing, If it has two of the small tags held on with the cover bolts, one of them will read "Use limited-slip fluid". Also you can tell w/o taking off cover by removing the filler plug and look in hole and you can see part of the clutck pac. They can with it but like I found out at Warner Robb abt a year ago, I won a M1028 "fire-truck" disination, when son & I look at front end during pick up noticed that the bolts on spring plate were not tight at all (about 1/2" still to go. NO TRAC-LOK.

Phily

its just a posi which is not very good anyways. put a arb in it and you can select when you want the front locked and un locked !
Right. but I would prefer a OX locker however. Not a fan of Air lockers.

I agree LSD's are nothing compared to lockers, but LSD's are much better than open difs. The thought of a OEM LSD in a Front D-60 sounds kind of like a GEM.

All 1028 & 1031 came with the "Trac-Lok" in the front Dana 60. You may get one with reg open diff. but that's due to someone in maint changed it out for whatever reason. A couple of other points that you can fig it has "trac-lok" is 1) if the 4th digit in vin # is a "H" (with one exception) which is the M1010 Amb. 2) If it has the "overload extra spring on the rear axle . Also if you are able to look at the center housing, If it has two of the small tags held on with the cover bolts, one of them will read "Use limited-slip fluid". Also you can tell w/o taking off cover by removing the filler plug and look in hole and you can see part of the clutck pac. They can with it but like I found out at Warner Robb abt a year ago, I won a M1028 "fire-truck" disination, when son & I look at front end during pick up noticed that the bolts on spring plate were not tight at all (about 1/2" still to go. NO TRAC-LOK.
Interesting.....

85-m1028

I did the same thing only I just locked in one hub and I couldn't get the driveshaft to spin, I was pretty suprised at how well they grab!!

4bogginchevys

lockers

The air lockers seem to have a lot of failures with air supply
The electric lockers seem to have a lot of failures with wires....
i'll stick to my posi's

allrevup

another alternative;

The "Trash"-Locker LSD is better then an open front differential and can be made better then OEM (maybe not $$ practical) it is at the botton of the list for OFF-ROAD capabilitys. The ARB (air) compresor can come in handy for other things if properly riged & The OX Locker (mechanical but with cables to adjust and mantain & seems to pop-out at the worse time) but are good choises.
During my M1008 "end to end" Dana60 build, The route I went was with the Richmond Powertrax "NO-SLIP" locker.
Big brother to the practical & highly regarded "LockRight" and 35 spline axles with Warn (rebuildable) hub lockers (clunky during turns, but stout enought for the CUCV power and can handle up to maybe 39"-40" tires) there are several brand choices with +/-

Last edited:

captw

powertrax lockright locker

I recently installed one of there units (p/n 2620) in the front of my M1008...I figured from all I'd read, that I'd have to remove the carrier and ring gear to remove the pinion shaft, and there was even a photo on the web of a guy who had ground part of the ring gear away, so that he could remove the pinion pin...there was enough clearance that the carrier didn't have to be removed to access the pin, so it was a fairly easy instal, and it operates very well....Wilf

Phily

I recently installed one of there units (p/n 2620) in the front of my M1008...I figured from all I'd read, that I'd have to remove the carrier and ring gear to remove the pinion shaft, and there was even a photo on the web of a guy who had ground part of the ring gear away, so that he could remove the pinion pin...there was enough clearance that the carrier didn't have to be removed to access the pin, so it was a fairly easy instal, and it operates very well....Wilf
Nice. Love hearing those storys.

Well I'm lost, All I know is when I lock in my front axel on my 1031 it works. lol
No reason to be lost or confused. Ask a question on this thread, we'll answer it the best we can or just PM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks