• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dana 70 dually on a m1009

Matt Kahle

Okay I have been thinking about getting a dana 70 dually and putting it on my m1009 and a 60 in the front but will that help my off road performance? or is that a wast of time? What will that do to the drive train?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the drive train is the same so it shouldn't hurt it. I would think it wouldn't help a resale (except the 60). I'd do a dana 60 and 14 bolt.

What exactly are your plans with the D70? Or what are you trying to accomplish? I believe they are several inches wider than a 10, 12 or 14bolt. And I think the spring perches are in different locations than a single rear wheel axle.

Matt Kahle

I thought there would be more power and better off road and it would be able to hold a bigger towing capacity. All right dumb idea thanks for telling me.

A 14b FF will work just fine for your blazer.
What he said, lots of guys do this to their 1009/K5's for added strength with bigger tires and/or offroading and for lower gear ratios. It should be pretty simple and it works.

Also, what kind of offroading do you want to do with you 1009? That can be a factor in your decision to swap axles.

CA_LEO

Get a full float 14 bolt and shave the bottom of the pumpkin. I also am under the impression that you would have to cut off then remount the perches on the Dana 70 to mount it on a GM. Maybe I am not following but why did you want a duallie rear?

GPrez

Do a 14-bolt in the rear and the D60 upfront. The only gain the dually has is more towing capacity, but with the short wheelbase of the M1009 your not going to want to try to tow anything that heavy anyway. Not to mention 4-tires verses 6-tires saves some budget money for other things.

Matt Kahle

Well I wanted to do that because I saw a web site and they have 70 dana's from military gm trucks for about 400 dollars and I thought if I swap It would be better for muding it might have better traction and rock crawling. the extra tires have better towing capacity for see I was doing biodiesel one time and stopped but if I ever do it again I'm going to need a truck to haul waste vegetable oil for my fuel not if I get a m35a2...some day hopefully. I thought it would be meaner I guess.

Cucvnut

You can get a 14ff from a junk yard for 100 bucks. With such a short wheel base a M1009 is not that great for towing.

Last edited:
The only gain the dually has is more towing capacity

I have heard the opposite. The D70 has a weaker pinion design. Granted when hooked up to a 6.2 diesel I don't think there is much worry about destroying an axle due to too much torque.

D70's were used in 1-ton dually GM pickups (normal pickup w/the wide fenders), the 14 bolts were used in a dually configuration in cab and chassis trucks, and as single wheel configuration in just about every 1 ton (and some 3/4 tons) GM Van/truck, so they are more than plentiful.

To Matt Kahle; were you intending to run dual rear wheels? Dual rears are not as good as single wheels for offroading, especially in snow and mud. There's more tire to push through mud/snow. And duallies do help distribute the load, and increase the capacity of trucks, but I don't think it would make a big difference in a 1009...maybe give it a little more stability.

The wheelbase is too short, so that is the biggest limiting factor of a 1009, and you can't do anything to change that. The next biggest limiting factor of a 1009 is the gear ratio...its too high to tow a lot with, but you can change that.

How much weight do you plan on hauling? And in what type of trailer and hitch set-up?
A civilian K5's towing capacity is listed at 5000lbs with 450lbs tongue weight (most civilian K5's had lower gear ratios). Probably wouldn't be a whole lot of fun pulling that much especially if it isn't loaded properly. With the D60/14B (with their lower gears), and good brakes; it should be able to comfortably pull 3500-4500lbs on a trailer with trailer brakes, a load distributing hitch would help a lot too. However, if you get D60/14B 4.56:1 gears (standard in 1008/1028's) then you lose top speed...limited to about 60mph.

To summarize...swapping in a D60 front and 14 bolt full-floater rear with a locker, 4.10 gears, would be a great mod for a 1009 that's, looking to do some medium hauling and solid offroad performance.
But if you need to consistently tow over 5000lbs, I would look for a different truck

Matt Kahle

Thanks for all the help I just have a few more questions about axles. Now for a D60 4.56:1 dose only 60mph at all times or just when towing? What is the differents in a 4.10 and the 4.56 which has better performance? The blazers 3.08 axle what is the max towing rate and tongue weight? I might get a 16 foot flat bed trailer with brakes and I want to use it to get out of N.Y. will the 3.08 geared axle work in till I get where ever I want to go? Thanks for all your help.

I would imagine with the 3.08's you could pull 3000 or so. It just wont do hills that well. Tongue weight wont change, but it could be limited depending on what type/rating of hitch you have. Check around in the search function I think there are a few towing capacity/"what have you towed with your truck" threads out there.

With 4.56 gears on stock sized tires, I wouldn't go much faster than 60-65mph period...towing or not. 6.2's are governed at 3600rpm.

4.56 gears with 31" tires (standard 1008 drivetrain) the engine will be around 3300rpm @ 65mph. The same set up/speed with 4.10 gears the engine will be turning around 2800rpm. Bigger tires will help rpms go down a little too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks