• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dangerous Situation Today With My M1009

niferous

Today my wife drove my M1009 for the first time ever. She drove about 20 miles to work this morning and had no problems. She went and picked up a friend (her first time to ride in a CUCV ever) and started to drive about 25 miles home. About 10 miles into the drive, going around 60 mph, she said the truck started jerking really hard to the right. She pulled to the shoulder and said she tried to steer the vehicle to the left but that it just kept jerking to the right. After she got slowed down she said the vehicle straightened up and started driving straight. She then drove the rest of the way home and as she exited the interstate to turn on the road that goes to our house she said the brakes didn't want to work. She said she pressed them all the way down to the floor and the truck didn't want to stop. She luckily had a green light and was able to turn onto our road. After she made the turn and slowed down she said it all of a sudden started stopping. About a mile later at the house she said she got out and the right front tire had smoke coming from it.

At no point did she call or tell me any of this. :evil: I didn't learn until I called to see what she was doing and it was an oh by the way type of thing! Anyhow I just got home and went to look at the truck and first thing I noticed is that the dang hub is turned about half way to the locked position and won't turn either way at all. I have been home about ten minutes so I haven't had time to take the tire off but then again I'm not even sure what I should be looking for.

My first thought was a stuck caliper but with the hub stuck like that and half turned to the lock position I just don't know. I know it hasn't been driven around like that long as I was looking at the truck just the other day and I made a mental note to look at the hubs and they were not locked. I also drove the truck Wednesday around 20 miles round trip and had no problems.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated as I've never had a problem like this and don't know where to start. :confused:

TGP (IL)

Classic wheel bearing going out and now gone.
Pull the wheel,hub, and inspect the bearings/damage.
Don't be surprised if you need a new spindle.
Tom

TGP (IL)

So that would cause the brakes not to work?[/Q
UOTE]

I had one do it to many years ago. As the wheel would wobble it compressed the caliper piston and resulted in loss of pedal , until you pumped it up. Then loose it again.
No I don't know why you would loose total brakes other than a fluid loss.
But I'm not there and sure sounds like wheel bearing to me unless the caliper did stick,but I thought I read were he checked that?
Never the less the wheel/hub need to come off both side's.

These truck should be thoroughly inspected and serviced before there ever put back in service(on the road)
Just because it starts,runs, and drives don't cut it!
Tom

camoyj7

Classic wheel bearing going out and now gone.
Pull the wheel,hub, and inspect the bearings/damage.
Don't be surprised if you need a new spindle.
Tom
If the wheel bearing was loose or went out the rotor could have pushed the piston in the caliper all the way in and when you hit the brakes the master cylinder wouldn't have enough fulid pushing the brakes just once.

TGP (IL)

If the wheel bearing was loose or went out the rotor could have pushed the piston in the caliper all the way in and when you hit the brakes the master cylinder wouldn't have enough fulid pushing the brakes just once.
Now that's what I'm talkin about!
TGP

Ghost2012

A wheel bearing is possible, also sounds like a stuck caliper overheating the bearing and causing it to seize.

They gave good advice. Check the spindle for heat damage and trueness. And post pictures! :D

Glad she and she (the truck) are okay.

It's a testament to how tough they are that it didn't run her off the road, lose a tire or snap a tie rod end.

Ghost2012

OK here is where I am. Not sure where to go from here. The manual I'm using is pretty dang vague. I'm about to go to the TM but figured I'd shoot a quick video as it's easier than typing it all in. Tried to embed but a link is just as good.

YouTube - M1009 CUCV broken front bearing
There is a snap ring.

Spray out the hub with degreaser or brake cleaner. It should stand right out. Feel free to IM me or call, I just got done doing mine yesterday.

Also, your hub AND wheel bearing are shot. Might want to pick up new ones.

niferous

Yeah I figured the hub was shot. That gear that fell out looked like it engaged some teeth there in the hub. I forgot to mention that at least two were broken off. I'll go get some brake cleaner and try to see if I can see that thing. I don't have any snap ring pliers though so I'm not sure I could get it out even if I could find it.

Ghost2012

You don't need them if yours is the same as mine. Just use a REALLY small flat head screwdriver or an ice pick type impliment.

Don't worry buddy! We'll see you through.

niferous

Anyone know of a good hub to replace it with? I actually have some auto hubs another member on here gave me a while back. I have no idea if they are complete or not though. I guess I need to break them out tonight and see if I can ID all the parts.

I'm looking online and I can get Mile Marker hubs from O'Reilly for $59 or the stainless steel versions for $89. Any suggestions on those two or another brand all together?

KsM715

You don't need them if yours is the same as mine. Just use a REALLY small flat head screwdriver or an ice pick type impliment.

Don't worry buddy! We'll see you through.
Never pass up an opportunity to buy tools!:p

If you can afford to buy the right tool, do it, you'll use it again. If you can't then yes, screw drivers and picks will work. (they will cause more cussing though.

natemccabe

That one small piece that you thought was part of the spring is the snap ring. Your bearings are defiantly FUBARed. I had to just keep banging and rotating my hub to gradually work it off the spindle as the rear bearing race was seized to the spindle. Good luck with that and don't forget to do the other side as well!

Ghost2012

I like Warn over Milemarker and premiums over standards... you pretty much get what you pay for.

MM has a 1 year warranty on their basic model (Advanced was not listed) and Warn has a Lifetime, both have service kits available..

I've seen MM's... wasn't impressed... Warns now power my front end.

Ghost2012

KsM, it's not a normal snap ring around the outside of the hub, just a piece of round spring. There is an actual snap ring around the stub shaft.

Nate has a point... is that single round piece metal (that would be the lock ring) or rubber (I didn't see an o ring on the hub housing)?

Ghost2012

Sorry for the double tap, but before I forget...

Grease the inner spindle bearing. EVERYONE always forgets those. If your wheel bearing is toast, odds are the spindle bearing is too.

Autozone part Timken #B2110 if I remember correctly.

WARWAG

Replace bearings on both sides. New Terra Low or Warn hubs. I bet that passenger side spindle is completely shot. If its scared up or has any type of "blueing" color just replace it. Use only top quality grease. I use Asmoil bearing grease. Looks like your gonna be banging on it for awhile to get it off. The video was agreat idea! :grd: Glad your wife and her friend are ok. It could have had a very bad conclusion. Check the brakes while your at it. This would be the time to change out the pads. (do both sides at the same time.)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks