• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dan's M1081 Pick-up and Build

DanM7890

After work I went home and did a once over while running to check everything and even played with the air/hydraulic systems. Everything is working smooth. I tested CTIS and even that system is functioning beautifully. I got in the truck and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. The first shift seems to take a long time and it's probably because the oil in the trans. Next is to flush the system multiple times and fill with the proper fluid. After the neighborhood lap I took up a couple miles up the road to smoothie king. Truck is running great!

DanM7890

Ill post some pictures later.

But I want to thank Will (Suprman) for all the help and encouragement to get it going. For the past week I put the hammer down and spent hours upon hours after work working on it, and It feels good to have it all pay off!

DanM7890

I've been slacking on pictures. So far I've adding a box with 12v outlets and usb. I have also added a backup camera with the 7" screen. This morning I took out the door locks and I'm making some keys for them. Getting a lot done!

DanM7890

Here are the handles broken down. What I did was took the wedges out of the lock mechanism and there's a number on each one. Then I got a couple blank ilco keys and I nailed it in the first key cut. Here are some pictures of what I did. I only cut one side to see if the cuts were the right spacing and depth and so far it works!

Attachments

FloridaAKM

Now you are a locksmith for LMTV doors & such. I have worked on locks like that & made keys to work, but have never seen the inside of an LMTV cylinder. A great thank you for the pictures & explanation!

DanM7890

Well I put it all back together this weekend. Drive side went smooth, passenger side handle didn't go well. The metal that pivots broke, and it looks like it was weak already because it didn't take much. I will now need to source a new handle.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the handles broken down. What I did was took the wedges out of the lock mechanism and there's a number on each one. Then I got a couple blank ilco keys and I nailed it in the first key cut. Here are some pictures of what I did. I only cut one side to see if the cuts were the right spacing and depth and so far it works!
Dan, did you use a file and cut your own keys? Or, did the numbers on the wedges correspond with some program run on a key cutting machine? I'm going to need to do this to make door keys for my truck and am not quite grasping what was actually done. Thanks for any additional pointers you can give. Also, is there a specific ilco key (part number) that was used?

Bobcat701

Great information, I am going to order one today. Got home from the Durham Town SS Riley with a leaky transmission filter gasket. I had replaced it prior to the trip but did not get it in good due to the filters proximity to the drive shaft, learning as I go. Thanks for the education.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks