• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash light bulbs - LED replacement

four_by_ken

Spent my lunch hoping someone had done just this, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Half the bulbs in my M1009 that I just got are burnt out. So... I need to fix them. On my motorcycle, I replaced the gauge lights with LEDs and it turned out real nice. (cant find where I got them from, long time ago).

I was hoping that someone already has the factory bulb number, and maybe... hopefully... an LED replacement bulb.

Any luck?

Midnight Rider

I think I did read a post on here where someone has done that. I can't remember how I came across it though. I'll see if I can find it again. I need to do that same to my 1009.

four_by_ken

I think I did read a post on here where someone has done that. I can't remember how I came across it though. I'll see if I can find it again. I need to do that same to my 1009.
I found a couple threads... but not quite a complete write up. So... I hope by the time time I am done with this thread and also with the replacement in my truck... no one will have to search it all up again.

[thumbzup]

4bogginchevys

which bulbs? all are just common bulbs, if you went to napa and checked for each they could tell you if they are available in an LED. While your at it, have you seen the super bright headlights for these.......:-D

four_by_ken

which bulbs? all are just common bulbs, if you went to napa and checked for each they could tell you if they are available in an LED. While your at it, have you seen the super bright headlights for these.......:-D
Yes, I am sure I can just go and get normal replacements. But, with LEDs being so cheap now... no reason to not use LEDs. I love them in my motorcycle. Geat light and will never have to mess with them again.

four_by_ken

I am almost sure they are 194s in the dash. I just need to be sure. I was hoping I could order them today and have them for the weekend. But, I may have to wait until the weekend to get the bulb type... then wait until the following weekend to install them. With the way work is now... I can only work on the truck on the weekends.

Something to remember is to match the color indicator with the bulb. The white ones will be too bright. At least this was the case with my motorcycle.

So... for the turn signals... get green... high beams... get blue, etc.

panama

I have replaced mine with LED's. I used a wedge type 168/194 replacement the same color as the idiot light lens. I thought it looked way better than just white. Make sure you use a LED with MORE than one LED. I found that a single LED IS NOT brighter than stock bulb replacements. I went for 4 to 6 LEDs per bulb and used these:

Jam Strait (from AutoZone/Advanced)

and these:

2-bulbs White T10 6 LED light 194 168 2825 501 Marker : eBay Motors (item 120519582061 end time Jan-24-10 23:00:00 PST)

For the 3 lights in the dash that actually light the gauges I used larger ones since there is more space:

2X T10 194 168 W5W 9-SMD White High Power LED Bulb : eBay Motors (item 140372081430 end time Feb-04-10 03:08:45 PST)

In my opinion they are brighter than the regular bulbs. I don't know about most guys here but I can't see sh*t at night with the regular bulbs...some guys like that.

One more thing...since I am a bit anal I couldn't leave the heater control bulb out so I changed that one too and also got this one for the Voltmeter gauge:

2-bulbs Super Purple Ba9s 6 LED light License 1895 T4W : eBay Motors (item 380199158900 end time Jan-26-10 23:00:00 PST)

I know it seems like alot of time, $$$ and effort for dash lights. I had the dash tore up running down other problems so I went for it while it was easy!

Hope this helps.

four_by_ken

I have replaced mine with LED's.

I know it seems like alot of time, $$$ and effort for dash lights. I had the dash tore up running down other problems so I went for it while it was easy!

Hope this helps.
Thanks, very nice. I think I will go with the 194 replacements from superbrightLEDs. Only because that is where I got them from when I did my motorcycle and they turned out real nice. And also, then I can get them all from one place.
From what I bought before... I think they will provide enough light for the dash. With my motorcycle, I have no problem seeing my guages at all. Even at night with a tinted shield (it was a long, unexpected ride).

Now... just to figure out how many... and of what colors. I know there is a thread somewhere about this question.

4bogginchevys

I have replaced mine with LED's. I used a wedge type 168/194 replacement the same color as the idiot light lens. I thought it looked way better than just white. Make sure you use a LED with MORE than one LED. I found that a single LED IS NOT brighter than stock bulb replacements. I went for 4 to 6 LEDs per bulb and used these:

Jam Strait (from AutoZone/Advanced)

and these:

2-bulbs White T10 6 LED light 194 168 2825 501 Marker : eBay Motors (item 120519582061 end time Jan-24-10 23:00:00 PST)

For the 3 lights in the dash that actually light the gauges I used larger ones since there is more space:

2X T10 194 168 W5W 9-SMD White High Power LED Bulb : eBay Motors (item 140372081430 end time Feb-04-10 03:08:45 PST)

In my opinion they are brighter than the regular bulbs. I don't know about most guys here but I can't see sh*t at night with the regular bulbs...some guys like that.

One more thing...since I am a bit anal I couldn't leave the heater control bulb out so I changed that one too and also got this one for the Voltmeter gauge:

2-bulbs Super Purple Ba9s 6 LED light License 1895 T4W : eBay Motors (item 380199158900 end time Jan-26-10 23:00:00 PST)

Hope this helps.
nopics

four_by_ken

Here is what I have for the colors... can anyone comment on the ??? marked ones at the bottom?

high beam - blue
oil pressure - red
4x4 - amber
gen 1 - red
gen 2 - red
lh turn - green
rh trn - green

coolant temp - red?
low coolant - red?
seat belt - red?
brake warning - red?
fuel - ?
3 cluster lights - white?

And, from this picture... whats with the fuel gauge bulb? Looks different from all the others?

Last edited:

Midnight Rider

Here is what I have for the colors... can anyone comment on the ??? marked ones at the bottom?

high beam - blue
oil pressure - red
4x4 - amber
gen 1 - red
gen 2 - red
lh turn - green
rh trn - green

coolant temp - red?
low coolant - red?
seat belt - red?
brake warning - red?
fuel - ?
3 cluster lights - white?

And, from this picture... whats with the fuel gauge bulb? Looks different from all the others?
Thanks for the that pic. Now I know how many I need to get my dash lit back up. I can barely see the speedo and the fuel gauge as it is. I don't have any light for the heater controls.

four_by_ken

Thanks for the that pic. Now I know how many I need to get my dash lit back up. I can barely see the speedo and the fuel gauge as it is. I don't have any light for the heater controls.
I cant take credit for the picture. I believe it was Warthog that posted it originally. He did a nice thread describing it all.

I just dont see on the picture quite what is going on with the fuel gauge. Guess I will have to just tear into it and see what I find.

panama

4boggin - You are right. I am out of the country now so the truck is enjoying the Miami sunshine without me. I'll snap picks when I get back...I just wish I had take "before" pics.

four_by - I just shined a flashlight at the cluster to see the colors...not all those lights come on when you want them to!