• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash light stays on, after the ignition is turned off.

simoncrk

Well I figured out that my glow plug relay was out. so I replaced it and now my "Gen 1" and my "Oil" light stay dimmly lit after I turn the key off. It's on an M1009. the lights come on after about 10 seconds after turning the ignition off. What gives?????

Crash_AF

I'm assuming this started just after you replaced the GPR? I would start by disconnecting the small wires from the relay and see if it goes away to isolate the problem. It sounds like there is 12V backfeeding through some system and feeding those lights.

Also, what relay did you replace your GPR with?

Later,
Joe

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull and check all your fuses.

Disconnect the relay you just replaced, and see if the lights go out.

simoncrk

Pulled the wires off the relay, the dash light is still on. when i turn my heater fan switch on with the key off, the "Oil" light goes out and the "Gen 1" light gets brighter. What do you think?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no connection between the oil light and the blower circuits.

Are you 100% sure that the top right fuse is good?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The power for the "Oil, 4x4 and Gen1" lights comes from the ignition switch via the brown wire at pin #5 of the instrument cluster plug. It could be that the ignition switch contacts are dirty and allowing a small amount of current to flow when the key is off. They are 25+ years old. Autozone has them for $8.99, part# LS442. It could also be out of adjustment.

I have not seen it but have heard that the capacitor/suppressor on the heater motor can go bad and allow current to flow. Pull the very top fuse and retest to see if the blower switch still causes the light to become brighter.

simoncrk

I figured it out!!!!!!!! Just for the heck of it, I wanted to see if my Generators were charging. So I laid a screwdriver to the back of the Gen. to check if it is magnatized with the engine running. One was stronger than the other. So I disconnected the stronger one and my lights on the dash went out. My wife has an M1009 so I pulled the same Gen off of hers, (SHHHHH dont tell her!!!) and put it on mine. Problem SOLVED!!! I guess my Gen has a short in it. So I'm gonna have it rebulit.

burbn10

It's the rectifier bridge in the alternator. Probably the driver's side one. Mine did the exact same thing. Alternator was fried. It charged decent when the engine was running, but as soon as I would turn off the truck, my dash lights would come on due to it back-feeding 12v though the diodes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks